Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

Jeff Landry pushes bill that would block public from viewing government records

Republican Gov. Jeff Landry, who touted transparency on the campaign trail and in his push to overhaul Louisiana's criminal justice system this year, on Wednesday backed an effort to gut the state's transparency laws by barring any documents involved in planning government decisions from public view.

That legislation, Senate Bill 482, would apply to emails, messages and any other records produced by officials in the course of making government decisions. It earned approval Wednesday from the Senate and Governmental Affairs Committee along with another public records-focused bill, Senate Bill 502, which seeks to require identification checks on people who file requests. 

Click on the lnk for the full article

• Thumb down 3

. . . why do I bet that he wants to protect "planning government decisions with lobbyists"?  

Also thinking of a famous quote from Otto von Bismark:  

Any man who respects the law and loves sausage should never watch either of them being made.  

Edited by Larry
  • Thumb up 1

House Republican cites threats and swatting of family as reasons for quitting

Mike Gallagher has suggested that he is resigning from his seat in Congress because of death threats and swatting targeted at his family.

The Republican US representative for Wisconsin shared more insight into his decision to vacate his seat while talking with reporters on Tuesday, the NBC affiliate WLUK reported.

Gallagher, 40, said: “This is more just me wanting to prioritize being with my family ... I signed up for the death threats and the late-night swatting, but they did not. And for a young family, I would say this job is really hard.”

Gallagher is married, with two young daughters. He announced last month that he would be resigning from his congressional seat before the end of his term, effective 19 April.

Gallagher, a rising star within the Republican party, announced his retirement in February after breaking with other House Republicans and refusing to vote to impeach the homeland security secretary, Alejandro Mayorkas, a Democrat.

But, in March, Gallagher said that he would be exiting Congress in April, before the end of his term. He has represented Wisconsin’s eighth district since 2017.

“After conversations with my family, I have made the decision to resign my position … effective 19 April. I’ve worked closely with House Republican leadership on this timeline,” Gallagher said in a statement.

Allies said that Gallagher decided to exit after far-right Republicans ejected Kevin McCarthy, the former House speaker, amid other shenanigans.

But Gallagher’s latest comments suggest that his early exit is tied to fears of rising political violence in the US on all sides, though the majority of threats and concerns come from the far right.

Just this week, two prominent Republican lawmakers encouraged voters to either use violence against protesters or carry weapons.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

Have to say, I'm rather shocked that anybody in the House is doing anything to him.  

Granted, I have no doubt he's loathed.  But still, I would have expected The Rule to be that Republicans are immune from consequences.  Or even questions.  

At first they came for the man down the road because he was different, and I said nothing.
Then they came for my neighbor, because he was also said to be different, and I said nothing.
then they came for me because I do a **** ton of cocaine and have offshore sex parties with high school girls.

A lesson to be learned here.

~Bang

• Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Full text:

"Republican Senate candidate Dave McCormick (PA) has implied that he grew up on a farm, claimed in 2022 that he had “started with nothing,” and described his parents as schoolteachers.

In reality, McCormick is the son of a college president who later became chancellor of higher education systems in Pennsylvania and Minnesota. He largely grew up in the president’s sprawling hilltop residence, which students called the president’s mansion, at what is now Bloomsburg University.

More fake populism from @DaveMcCormickPA and the GOP. https://nytimes.com/2024/04/19/us/

• Haha 7

The crazy thing about that is that if you said,  "George Santos put on a fake mustache and is now going by Dave McCormick and pretending this is normal" I would have no choice but to believe you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Bang said:

At first they came for the man down the road because he was different, and I said nothing.
Then they came for my neighbor, because he was also said to be different, and I said nothing.
then they came for me because I do a **** ton of cocaine and have offshore sex parties with high school girls.

A lesson to be learned here.

~Bang

Cocaine and high school girls sounds like a really annoying night. I'm gonna pass.

• Haha 4

GOP operative loses appeal of conviction for funneling Russian money to Trump campaign

A federal appeals court has upheld the conviction of a Republican operative who had been pardoned by Donald Trump in the waning days of his presidency.

The District of Columbia Circuit Court rejected an appeal by Jesse Benton, a former senior aide to Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell and Sen. Rand Paul, of his November 2022 conviction for orchestrating a scheme to conceal a $100,000 donation from a Russian national to his GOP consulting firm — and pocketing most of it.

Russian businessman Roman Vasilenko wired the money under his own name to the consulting firm, but Benton kept $75,000 for himself and gave $25,000 under his name to the presidential campaign for Trump, who posed for a photo with Vasilenko. Benton then filed a false report with the Federal Election Commission to conceal the source of the funds, the court found.

The Trump campaign was not aware of the true source of that donation.

Benton had appealed the conviction, saying Trump's 2020 pardon should have prevented the jury from hearing about his previous election crimes before convicting him of the newer charges.

However, prosecutors argued that the unusual manner in which Trump handed out pardons by sidestepping the Justice Department's Office of the Pardon Attorney should have allowed them to present evidence of Benton's previous conviction for bribing an Iowa politician to switch his endorsement in 2011 to Ron Paul's long-shot presidential campaign.

The 45-year-old Benton, who is married to Ron Paul's granddaughter, was sentenced to 18 months in prison for that straw donor scheme.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 2

29 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Members of Congress and their families shouldn't be getting death threats so bad they resign.

I also don't care if they get high long as they do their job.

I don't think it's a good idea for Congress members to be doing drugs a) because they could divulge information from national security briefings while under the influence, and b) they could potentially be blackmailed by foreign operatives or bad actors to pass legislation or do other things not in our best interests.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, China said:

I don't think it's a good idea for Congress members to be doing drugs a) because they could divulge information from national security briefings while under the influence, and b) they could potentially be blackmailed by foreign operatives or bad actors to pass legislation or do other things not in our best interests.

Really?

So we as citizens can make case we won't do that as part of getting them legalized, but can't trusted our elected representatives to?

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Really?

So we as citizens can make case we won't do that as part of getting them legalized, but can't trusted our elected representatives to?

I'm not talking about just weed.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, China said:

I'm not talking about just weed.

I'm not either.

Someone turning into a Crack head will take care of itself.

How many of them doing lines of cocaine right now we don't know about?

While I've said my piece on the government needing to focus resources on drugs with highly addictive properties and little to no value medically...no, I don't care it Gatez is doing shrums or acid or Molly, I really don't.

If we hold members of congress to drug tests for drugs we're trying to get out of schedule 1 status, it keeps case for doing so for other government positions...ones that are suffering in recruitment and we're falling behind in, like cybersecurity.

I respect your concern, not blowing ot off...I have a certain position and opinion on this matter rooted in not wanting to be a hypocrite.