Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

8 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Probably not the thread for too deep a dive into this but I’d have an issue with people getting that much free leave but those without kids don’t.  It is always a source of frustration that the people without kids end up being the ones that have to work late because the other person has to go pick up their kid.  I don’t know what the right answer is though.  As for parental leave, I’d support something like 2 weeks free leave with the rest being charged leave and allowing them to go into the hole if needed.

12 weeks is the amount that every federal worker gets.  I see no problem with the cabinet secretary getting the same amount.  The problem I see is that military parental leave is lagging behind the federal employees, which is wrong (though apparently there is a legislation in the works to fix that).

As for benefits only given to parents, that might be worth a thread on its own.  I will say that lot of developed nations are struggling with low birth rates that is below population replacement and boosting birth rate has become a top priority for many countries.  US would be in the same boat were it not for the steady stream of immigrants proping up the population growth, though a couple of more cycles of presidents hostile to immigration may eventually turn off that spigot and have foreigners look elsewhere for their dreams and aspirations.  Prolonged period of sub-population replacement birth rate without sufficient immigration would likely result in a shrinking domestic economy.  Governments giving incentive to parents who have children is the norm across the world because from a macro perspective, they need people to keep having children.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

The irony about right wing news being upset with paid parental leave for feds is that the benefit was expanded in 2019 under Trump. Prior, by OPM rule, 13 days was the max I could claim when my wife gave birth.  Beyond technically came from my own leave.  

We have one in our workplace on it and everyone has complained about them being gone for 12 weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, with all of the controversy going on in Loundon County, I figured I better go ahead and get my vote in before the right wing hate mongers run to the polls to vote for Youngkin. So I voted early in PWC near the Manassas courthouse yesterday. I asked the guy giving out sample ballots about turnout by party and he said its been about 50/50. I talked to him for about 15 minutes after I voted and about ten people came to vote in that time. If I had to guess, it was 50/50, but I noticed something:

Out of the five republicans who voted, they were all old and white, I mean really old. They looked like the type what would sit barefoot on a porch playing the banjo. I'm not saying that to be mean, just saying thats how I "know" they're republicans. As for the "democrats", they were all black...including myself. I saw two middle aged black women go in, a middle aged black guy and two young black guys (early twenties at the oldest). So, if you're wondering, black people of all ages are out and voting. You assholes better do your part too.

Edited by Simmsy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 6

4 hours ago, bearrock said:

I will say that lot of developed nations are struggling with low birth rates that is below population replacement and boosting birth rate has become a top priority for many countries.  US would be in the same boat were it not for the steady stream of immigrants proping up the population growth, though a couple of more cycles of presidents hostile to immigration may eventually turn off that spigot and have foreigners look elsewhere for their dreams and aspirations.  Prolonged period of sub-population replacement birth rate without sufficient immigration would likely result in a shrinking domestic economy.  Governments giving incentive to parents who have children is the norm across the world because from a macro perspective, they need people to keep having children.

Population growth could probably be its own thread also in addition to parental leave.  But I'm too lazy to start either one.  I will admit to knowing pretty much zero about population growth mechanics.  But I don't understand how a growing population is good, especially with population growth being tied to global warming.  And to keep this thread on track, how can we encourage right-wing nut jobs to stop breeding?

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

But I don't understand how a growing population is good,

Population growth rates are too low to support all the retirees, especially as they live longer. Your social security contributions have already been spent on today's retirees. You need new workers if you are going to get money from SS.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, China said:

Crybaby is still a sore loser and won't get over it:

"In response to the fact that yet another study, conducted by people hand-picked by the Republican Party for their abject partisanship, were still not willing to lie as much as I am, I hereby demand that I be declared President, anyway.  Just because."  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Population growth rates are too low to support all the retirees, especially as they live longer. Your social security contributions have already been spent on today's retirees. You need new workers if you are going to get money from SS.

But considering all of the negatives that come with a growing population, wouldn’t it make more sense to find a different solution to that issue and encourage lowering the population?  I’m honestly asking because I’m sure there is a lot more to it than I know.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

so we should keep making babies simply to fund SS?

….I could be wrong, but that sounds like a pyramid scheme if I’ve ever heard one.

• Haha 2

I think that ship has sailed. Financial viability of the US economy and current lifestyles is based on a need for some level of growth in GDP and to offset the aging population and decline. And to compete internationally with China.

We could triple the US population and have the same population density as France. France is not by any means crowded nor facing environmental collapse.

50 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

I think that ship has sailed. Financial viability of the US economy and current lifestyles is based on a need for some level of growth in GDP and to offset the aging population and decline. And to compete internationally with China.

We could triple the US population and have the same population density as France. France is not by any means crowded nor facing environmental collapse.

I read somewhere, but not sure if it was verified, that if the US had the same population density as Hong-Kong, you could fit the entire US population into Rhode Island.

1 hour ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

so we should keep making babies simply to fund SS?

….I could be wrong, but that sounds like a pyramid scheme if I’ve ever heard one.

It's not.  Not completely.  But there are some parallels.  

Although I'll also say.  The people who love to throw that label around?  They're doing so because they are working very hard, to try to kill it.  

Edited by Larry

On 10/15/2021 at 2:14 PM, China said:

Tucker Carlson mocks Pete Buttigieg for taking paternity leave after adopting a child

TUCKER CARLSON (HOST): Pete Buttigieg has been on leave from his job since August after adopting a child. Paternity leave, they call it, trying to figure out how to breastfeed, no word on how that went.

Click on the link for the video

Pete Buttigieg Brilliantly Destroys Tucker Carlson After Fox Host’s Homophobic Hit Job

U.S. Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg responded to Fox News host Tucker Carlson‘s vile, homophobic attack from Thursday night, by defending the right of every new parent to take paternity or maternity leave and spend time building bonds that will last a lifetime.

Buttigieg, known for being able to incisively carve up conservative hate, had no problem correcting Carlson’s claims.

Carlson, who regularly spreads white nationalistic, white supremacist, and fascistic rhetoric that clearly is supported by Fox News chiefs Rupert Murdoch and Lachlan Murdoch, on Thursday berated Buttigieg for taking paternity leave as he and his husband, Chasten welcome two newborn twins into their family.

“Pete Buttigieg has been on leave from his job since August after adopting a child,” Carlson had told Fox news viewers. “Paternity leave, they call it, trying to figure out how to breastfeed – no word on how that went.”

Buttigieg struck back on Friday, telling MSNBC’s Nicolle Wallace Carlson’s “attack is coming from a guy who has yet to explain his apparent approval for the assassination of Harvey Milk.”

Carlson, in his college yearbook, reportedly wrote that he was a member of the “Dan White Society.” There is no Dan White Society, but Dan White is the man who assassinated Harvey Milk, one of America’s first openly-gay elected officials. At the same time, in 1978, he also assassinated San Francisco Mayor George Moscone.

“So, you know, obviously we know that there’s some dark places where some of these attitudes come from,” Buttigieg continued.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

tucker's their main turd these days over hannity, but i find the existence of anyone involved with fox's on-air content to be at the same level of 'social contribution' as any other vast toxic waste dump and the entire site should be treated with the appropriate containment and disposal processes

hazmet.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

Especially when you don’t have to pay for decades of education for engineers, scientists and medical staff. 

That is the type of immigration we should be prioritizing and making it easier for them to become citizens. Instead, we had Stephen Miller's dumb ass putting in policies to say no to all immigrants except Europeans

Edited by Barry.Randolphe
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1