Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

Jumbo, while I think I agree with your conclusion, I think there's a logical fallacy running through it that always "triggers me". (I'm a liberal, I can use that phrase). 

It's the technique of tarring the Party by saying "so-and-so despicable group supports them". 

Didn't like it when the R's were attacking the D's with "the communists love Democrats". Don't like it when it's the KKK voting R. 

The problem with that reasoning is that all it proves is that Party A is closer to (despicable group)'s platform than Party B is. 

Now, yes, I do think it's fair to attack the GOP for racism. I just think that the correct evidence to use to support that conclusion isn't to speculate about "how do you figure KKK members vote?", but to examine the GOP's rhetoric, and their positions. 

The fact that that I don't think there has ever been an anti-discrimination measure that the GOP hasn't opposed. (At least since The Great Flip in the 60s). 

I will point out that this is a Party who is proud of the fact that they successfully prevented the US constitution from containing an amendment which simply stated that the government shall not discriminate against women. 

A party where people can openly announce that they think we should repeal the laws that say businesses can't discriminate against blacks. 

Where people can stand up in public and announce that the only discrimination that exists in the US is against white, male, Christians. And actually think they're victims, if some people act like they've said something weird. 

A political party where a New York liberal who campaigned for Hillary Clinton can win the party's nomination solely on the fact that he appealed to racists more openly than the other candidates. 

To me, those are all much better support for the notion that the GOP owes their current political success to racism than asking which Party racists vote for.  

• Like 2

@Larryfor the record, i'm not sure what conclusion you refer to as i didn't intend to make to any, really, or at least any major ones

i did state my actual intentions/goals in the post though, and it is much like a stream of thought (that was frequently interrupted) post

i noted where i went off that stream with the rnc dnc deal, and some of what you and pb allude to would be stuff I (or someone else) would cover in extension or in another thread. i really just wanted to get those specific thoughts/observations and the questions i think they prompt  posted in one place, mainly, and it fit ok here.

but i like the thoughtful response and i like most any kind of engaged response to a post like that

also, i don't do logical fallacies :D

26 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Dude that's a parody 

Dude......it isn't.  I've seen the commercial twice now.  Ironically,  it was while watching a show about the rise of Hitler.  Came on the AHC channel.  And walmart is selling them if you click the link above.

26 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Dude that's a parody 

Okay watching the link longer, it may be a parody.  But it is VERY similar to the actual commercial.  I'll see if I can find that.

Edit:  Here is the one I saw on tv this morning.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Dude......it isn't.  I've seen the commercial twice now.  Ironically,  it was while watching a show about the rise of Hitler.  Came on the AHC channel.  And walmart is selling them if you click the link above.

Wow. My bad I doubted you

Edit:......yo I cant believe this is happening.....

Edit2: and its 60 dollars!!

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

None of them, of course, have addressed the real facts about Steve King—namely, that he was nurtured and produced in the same conservative Republican terrarium as all the rest of them, Paul Ryan and Kevin McCarthy included. King bloomed more lushly and more exotically, but he's of the same genus. Now, they're all required to pretend that they never understood how this lethally poisonous plant sprouted in their midst. 

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a25902076/steve-king-kevin-mccarthy-mitt-romney/?fbclid=IwAR1wpsPip4wDvuFiYmi503gQ76-7uK_MHKXhe7qrp06IUESmJwhvYfD5X2E

while still including a lot of "good people" and some tenets typically tied to the gop that i still think are valuable of course, for me the construct itself has worked hard enough, long enough, at manipulating fear and ignorance and harboring, nurturing, and utilizing a large contingent of the insecure, the fearful, the ignorant, the racists, the bigoted, the anti-science, and of course millions of religious zealots/nuts, as their foundation to become the terminally diseased, duplicitous, and dishonored party of trump-pets it is at this point

the 10% of the demo that are the rich white men and women at the top have long figured they could manage that menagerie and make it work---the plan being that this recipe heavily based on a lot of sick ingredients would be mixed properly by the chefs at the top and artificially flavored enough to pass off to the consumer...like spam....most intelligent decent people don't like spam once they clear adolescence....maybe smothered in ketchup....but i digress

i wish nothing but completely crippling defeat and debilitating misery for each and every one of these goper legislators (there are plenty of dems i can't stand of course, but that's a much lesser concern currently), and any supporting constituents, that aren't in full opposition to this admin

• Like 1

I wondered when Republican leadership would finally deign to address Steve King.  When they'd finally realize that having a ghoul like him in office embodied and made plain the racism and white supremacy of their party.  And realize that he is a consistent and cheap source of fundraising for Democrats nationally.

The fact that he's been in office for so long speaks to two causes:

1 - he has built one of the most powerful political machines in recent memory

and/or

2 - Western Iowa is a profoundly racist ****hole.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I wondered when Republican leadership would finally deign to address Steve King.  When they'd finally realize that having a ghoul like him in office embodied and made plain the racism and white supremacy of their party.  And realize that he is a consistent and cheap source of fundraising for Democrats nationally.

The fact that he's been in office for so long speaks to two causes:

1 - he has built one of the most powerful political machines in recent memory

and/or

2 - Western Iowa is a profoundly racist ****hole.

Steve King says the quiet stuff out loud. I respect that he’s open with his ignorant, racist, backwards views unlike the chickens in his party who think like him, govern with his ideology but pretend otherwise.

What is interesting to me is that on the issues (most of them, not all) a lot of Republicans are not nearly as conservative as they think they are.  The bigger issue is that they have been convinced through their media sources and have had it ingrained into their minds that liberals are evil and un-American etc etc etc so not only do they often vote against their best interests, but a step further, they vote against candidates that they likely agree with more in the actual issues with.

The final stage of the modern GOP is trying to make the smoke & mirrors last as long as they can.  They've already lost the majority of the country on the issues, they are still hanging out due to misinformation campaigns.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

What is interesting to me is that on the issues (most of them, not all) a lot of Republicans are not nearly as conservative as they think they are.  The bigger issue is that they have been convinced through their media sources and have had it ingrained into their minds that liberals are evil and un-American etc etc etc so not only do they often vote against their best interests, but a step further, they vote against candidates that they likely agree with more in the actual issues with.

The final stage of the modern GOP is trying to make the smoke & mirrors last as long as they can.  They've already lost the majority of the country on the issues, they are still hanging out due to misinformation campaigns.  

The right wing relies on the uneducated stupid people and on people caring about a social issue more than anything else.

There's plenty of uneducated people or people who only care about a single social issue like abortion.

6 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The right wing relies on the uneducated stupid people and on people caring about a social issue more than anything else.

There's plenty of uneducated people or people who only care about a single social issue like abortion.

Not to mention made up "boogeyman" social issues like marriage equality or transgender bathroom access.....remember a handful of years back when you had angry folk storming around department stores "on the hunt" for someone to be using the wrong bathroom?

according to the most recent poll...  67% of Republicans think that trump will go down in history as either outstanding, or above average among US presidents.   

(on the next page...  and  49% of Republicans polled think Donald ****ing Trump is more intelligent than the average president since WWII, (and 85% think he is "average to above average))

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/1xbksrgzje/econTabReport.pdf

image.png.4369b75e3bec60313b674937f23f45e6.png

image.png

and... 68% of republicans think Donald Trump is trustworthy and honest:

image.png.98059367bc6da63f361340aba787cbfd.png

• 3 weeks later...