Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "I wish we got THAT guy!" thread 2017 edition

Voice_of_Reason

I've done this the last few years, and it seems to have been pretty successful.  So I thought I would do it again.  The rules are simple:

1. Name the player that you wish we had signed in FA or picked in the draft.

2. For draft picks, please limit to players who were available at the pick we selected at.  For example:

BAD: Myles Garrett.  Why?  Because we didn't pick #1 overall, and there's no way we get him.

GOOD: Reuben Foster.  Why? Because we could have selected him at 17 instead of the player we selected.

3. For the draft, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE put position, school, draft position, new team where possible. I don't know every player in college football, and it makes my life easier to find, compile and then update the players.  

4. For free agents, please use some discretion.  If the 'Skins realistically had no play at the person, then it's not worth tracking.  If they did, then it does.  I leave this to your discretion.  

I will give it a little while, then compile the results, and then track through the season to see how well these guys did.  

I generally update the results for every player listed right before the season (after the draft), and then 2-3 times during the season, and then after the season.  

Finally, while discussion about drafting a QB at any point in the draft is fine, this is not a Cousins thread. 

I wanted some Butt.  Damn it....hail

Jake Butt-Michigan-Tight End

5th round, Denver Broncos-145th pick

Bad: We couldn't get to him before Denver....maybe not take Montae.  Probably favorite TE in draft for us.

Good:  We were able to get Sprinkle, another good TE, just not as good as Butt, AND Montae, without trading & losing picks. 

My draft would be:

1. Allen. Thats just BPA and fits a huge need.

2. Zach Cunningham. I also thought about Chidobe Awuzie but think Zach is going to be tackling machine. 

3. 100% CB. I only think I would take Lewis from Michigan.

4. Carl Lawson Auburn. Think he is good OLB depth.

4. Would go Butt or Kittle here. Think I would go Kittle because he is more of a blocker and no injury concern. 

5. Will Holden, Vanderbilt. Like him a lot as depth o lineman.  

6. Qualls from Washington. Big body for the middle.

6. Fields from Louisville. Went undrafted because his red flags but like potential.

7. Ford the WR from Virginia. 

Don't think I would grade a lot better then Redskins.

I think that guard/center guy we drafted might be very usefull down the line. Never thought of him. Think the WR we took is a find. Didnt know him but looks to have a lot to like. Never would have taken Anderson because I think he is not athletic enough but after hearing from him...I like him more and more. Great guy.

1 minute ago, wilco_holland said:

My draft would be:

1. Allen. Thats just BPA and fits a huge need.

2. Zach Cunningham.  

With the way it fell this would have been my EXACT draft as well. This is really the only pick I would have changed though. I think the front office did a hell of a job this off season. In both FA and the draft.

Not getting a nose, specifically Qualls is my only complaint with this draft. We literally nailed everything else and just have my fingers crossed Tomsula will be able to "make" a NT out of someone we have between Phil Taylor, Mbu, AJ Francis, and Ondre Pipkins.

If we can get an average starter at the position for first and 2nd down I'll be happy, especially considering how nasty our 4 DL front looks on paper.

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Jake  Butt over Nicholson in round 4. That's probably my only complaint.

100%. Considering Davis for 2 years and Reed, we could have afforded to let Butt heal at his own speed.

Also, Desmond King in the 5th instead of Moreau or Nicholson in early rounds. 

I wish we could have grabbed Vincent Taylor in the 6th 

I would have taken Cunningham at 49, & Stevie T, or Carlos Watkins in place of a later pick.  

Otherwise...pretty spot on.  No real complaints, just what i would have done differently.  

I don't even dislike the Anderson pick because it makes sense...it's a solid pick imo.  Just would have been absolutely over the moon if we had also added Cunningham.

I'm going to add Foster to my list. As much as I hate trading future picks, I think it would have been worth next years first and at least the 3rd this year. Had we gone Allen, Foster and Anderson (if we kept the second) that might have been Alabama overkill...

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Dalvin Cook if he fell to their pick in the 2nd. I would have loved if they successfully traded up for Rueben Foster.   I wanted a nose so I liked Dalvin Tomlinson and later in in the draft I liked Qualls who the Eagles ended up getting.

Happy with the guy we got at #1 but like Skinsinparadise I thought we should have moved up to get R. Foster, right after we drafted our #1 before the 2nd round. I thought the Giants were getting him and I was surprised they went TE. Giants going all out to throw the ball. Getting Allen and Foster would mean we could have had 2 top 10 defenders in the 1st round. Our D stinks and why were we hesitant? I would have liked us to be more aggressive when there were so many good defenders available. I was also surprised we did not get a NT. Not impressed with Eagles 1st rd pick as it seemed to me they just got a replacement for the guy they lost to FA. I think I like the Eagle and Giant RB picks, pos better than our guy. Hope I am wrong.

With our 2nd pick in the 4th round, I would rather have drafted an interior lineman to play Nose (or, at least play some rotational Nose) instead of Montae Nicholson. Ryan Glasgow (6'3" 302#) from Michigan would've been my favorite candidate as he plays the interior very well and could add 15#-20#.  Glasgow was drafted by the Bengals 16 picks later at 34.  Carlos Watkins from Clemson was also available but he carries some bad weight and doesn't exhibit the power compared to Glasgow.

12 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

With our 2nd pick in the 4th round, I would rather have drafted an interior lineman to play Nose (or, at least play some rotational Nose) instead of Montae Nicholson. Ryan Glasgow (6'3" 302#) from Michigan would've been my favorite candidate as he plays the interior very well and could add 15#-20#.  Glasgow was drafted by the Giants 17 picks later at 34.  Carlos Watkins from Clemson was also available but he carries some bad weight and doesn't exhibit the power compared to Glasgow.

Damn, didnt realize the Giants got him too. Tomlinson and Glasgow back to back. Wonder who theyre worried about. :ols:

28 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Damn, didnt realize the Giants got him too. Tomlinson and Glasgow back to back. Wonder who theyre worried about. :ols:

My bad... Cincinnati drafted Ryan Glasgow.

Sorry. Time to put the martini down.

Archived