Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Allen, Scot McCloughlan, Jay Gruden, and all that stuff like that there

Having lived in Northern VA most my life and then having moved and lived out of state for several years now and experienced other media markets and the way they cover their teams... Washington media is garbage. They're closer to ESPN than actual sports media. Maybe its because Philly and NY also cover things similarly, and often these guys have ties to those markets as well, but Carolina, Atlanta, northern florida and outside pittsburgh and buffalo have a MUCH different tone to their coverage.

Not saying there are no good reporters in the DMV market, but sometimes when I listen or read the coverage its like its TMZ and just doesn't normally seem like that when I read or listen to Falcon or Bills or Panther coverage. The pessimism is palpable.

Maybe other people have other experiences with different media, but I for one am thankful I no longer get bombarded with at least part of the circus.

I agree with you about living in Northern Va and then moving to other states.  The media markets are very different.  Sports coverage is not great in DC and the teams are not great either.

In basketball for example I rooted for the Golden State Warriors even when they were bad.  Now that they are good I appreciate how their management and how the local media operate.

I gave up on the Washington Bullets years ago.  My last act as a Bullets fan was to watch Michael Jordan score 50 points in DC.  I started watching NFL coverage differently living in different cities too.

55 minutes ago, Sekhmet187 said:

Having lived in Northern VA most my life and then having moved and lived out of state for several years now and experienced other media markets and the way they cover their teams... Washington media is garbage. They're closer to ESPN than actual sports media. Maybe its because Philly and NY also cover things similarly, and often these guys have ties to those markets as well, but Carolina, Atlanta, northern florida and outside pittsburgh and buffalo have a MUCH different tone to their coverage.

Not saying there are no good reporters in the DMV market, but sometimes when I listen or read the coverage its like its TMZ and just doesn't normally seem like that when I read or listen to Falcon or Bills or Panther coverage. The pessimism is palpable.

Maybe other people have other experiences with different media, but I for one am thankful I no longer get bombarded with at least part of the circus.

We're talking about the Washington Redskins here - there are very few teams with a comparable rap sheet of blunders and/or PR disasters in the 21st century.

The negative press is purely a beast of Dan Snyder's making.

The local media covers a few other teams around here and I don't think you'll find offense with the tone of their coverage. 

Pretty refreshing actually!

21 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Not as tiring as constantly blaming Snyder and Bruce for BS

Yes.  Yes it is. Screaming FAKE NEWS! every time you read something you do not like is complete nonsense and ruins your creditability.   It's a cop out and it's not fooling anyone. 

As for this story we obviously do not know the truth, I suppose we will in time. But for you to defend Daniel Snyder after what has taken place here for nearly 20 years is awfully hard to justify.  I honestly have no idea what more you need to see. 

19 hours ago, hailer21 said:

We're talking about the Washington Redskins here - there are very few teams with a comparable rap sheet of blunders and/or PR disasters in the 21st century.

The local media covers a few other teams around here and I don't think you'll find offense with the tone of their coverage. 

Plenty of teams are in worse shape or have been in worse shape recently. And its not Snyders fault the media blowhards cover the team like the Enquirer. They choose to use the slants and angles they use and they decide to run with gossip every chance they get.

As for the coverage of other local teams, they still can be plenty negative about the Caps, Wizards and Nats depending on the situation. The Wizards before Wall were always being criticzed heavily during the Gilbert Arenas era and the Caps got a lot of heat for losing so often in the playoffs. Not to the extent of the Redskins, but moreso than say the Atlanta media is on the Hawks Braves and Thrashers.

19 hours ago, hailer21 said:

Ya..How dare Dan NOT change the name of the team at the bequest of the pompous, self indulging, SELF RIGHTEOUS Washington Elite Media! Washington's media is FULL of narcissistic, inflated ego BS'ers. I don't CARE WHAT they think and often believe 180 degrees to their reporting. Case in point Cousins coverage... 

29 minutes ago, Sekhmet187 said:

Plenty of teams are in worse shape or have been in worse shape recently. And its not Snyders fault the media blowhards cover the team like the Enquirer. They choose to use the slants and angles they use and they decide to run with gossip every chance they get.

As for the coverage of other local teams, they still can be plenty negative about the Caps, Wizards and Nats depending on the situation. The Wizards before Wall were always being criticzed heavily during the Gilbert Arenas era and the Caps got a lot of heat for losing so often in the playoffs. Not to the extent of the Redskins, but moreso than say the Atlanta media is on the Hawks Braves and Thrashers.

This isn't really helping your case here...

When teams consistently fall short in the playoffs - Caps & Nats - they are going to be criticized....in every town, everywhere.

As for the Wizards, do you recall how that **** show ended?  I'd say they earned their fair share of criticism.

As for the Redskins, if they weren't historically inept - perhaps the slants and angles you speak of wouldn't hold any weight.  A lot of the 'slants' and 'angles' being used to report on the Redskins over the years have typically ended up containing a lot of truth.  The reason this stuff happens here has very little to do with the media and very much to do with the folks running the circus.

The biggest oops that Synder made in a non-football related matter was getting into the sports radio business.  It allowed the perception (rightly or wrongly) that he was trying to control all aspects of the message.  Also, by giving significant preferential treatment to his own radio station, it alienated other media outlets. 

He should sell 980, and get the team out of the media business.  And fire Redskins "Baghdad Bob" Larry Michael. 

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This isn't really helping your case here...

When teams consistently fall short in the playoffs - Caps & Nats - they are going to be criticized....in every town, everywhere.

As for the Wizards, do you recall how that **** show ended?  I'd say they earned their fair share of criticism.

As for the Redskins, if they weren't historically inept - perhaps the slants and angles you speak of wouldn't hold any weight.  A lot of the 'slants' and 'angles' being used to report on the Redskins over the years have typically ended up containing a lot of truth.  The reason this stuff happens here has very little to do with the media and very much to do with the folks running the circus.

I just said said they aren't criticized to the extent the Redskins are. The Falcons just had the worst professional sports collapse this side of 3 to 1, and what do you think the media focused on for the most part? Positive things. Granted they are a much better team with a bright future, but the Panthers media weren't killing Cam all year when the national media was. Even with a terrible year.

I am just saying you can choose to like it or not, but I would much prefer the way every other media outlet I've experienced to cover DC sports. Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Tampa and Carolina are all better quality, IMO. 

Just look at how many things about Scot and Kirk have come out, half of which sometimes contradicts the other. All the RGIII drama and the obsession reporters and some fans have with beating a dead horse. 

If homer material is your cup of tea, that type of sugar-coated press can be found in nearly every smaller market.  We even have our own version here with Larry Michael's nightly show.

While its easy to point the fingers at our local media, its not like they just make stuff up for the sake of having something to write.  There is a reason that reporters come and go, yet the stories remain in the same vein.  Folks in Redskins Park talk anonymously A LOT.  Unfortunately, recent events don't provide them a lot of positive information to talk about.

1 hour ago, Sekhmet187 said:

Tell me about the time the Lerners cut down trees in a national park and the media forgot to cover it.  Or when Ted Leonsis sued Wizards season ticket holders.  Or when they sold expired airline peanuts at a Caps game.

3 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Tell me about the time the Lerners cut down trees in a national park and the media forgot to cover it.  Or when Ted Leonsis sued Wizards season ticket holders.  Or when they sold expired airline peanuts at a Caps game.

Um...if the media did forget to cover those stories, how could he tell you about them? lol...

5 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Ya..How dare Dan NOT change the name of the team at the bequest of the pompous, self indulging, SELF RIGHTEOUS Washington Elite Media! Washington's media is FULL of narcissistic, inflated ego BS'ers. I don't CARE WHAT they think and often believe 180 degrees to their reporting. Case in point Cousins coverage... 

Sorry to trigger your name change rage. I hear from the elites in Washington that Scot McCloughan was fired but he just keeps on rocking Skins gear so I can understand your disbelief.

5 hours ago, Sekhmet187 said:

I just said said they aren't criticized to the extent the Redskins are. The Falcons just had the worst professional sports collapse this side of 3 to 1, and what do you think the media focused on for the most part? Positive things. Granted they are a much better team with a bright future, but the Panthers media weren't killing Cam all year when the national media was. Even with a terrible year.

I am just saying you can choose to like it or not, but I would much prefer the way every other media outlet I've experienced to cover DC sports. Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Tampa and Carolina are all better quality, IMO. 

Just look at how many things about Scot and Kirk have come out, half of which sometimes contradicts the other. All the RGIII drama and the obsession reporters and some fans have with beating a dead horse. 

Your comparisons are a bunch of apples to oranges - none of those small markets have the following or the 20 years worth of calamities, both on and off the field, that the Redskins have. The Pittsburgh Steelers may have a huge fanbase but they have been good to great for years now - no wonder their media coverage is more pleasant.

I'm not sure of who all your lumping into the big, bad DC media but it's all a moot point. The media didn't fire Scot and I doubt Snyder is ripping out seats from FedEx because of some coordinated Fake News campaign.

1 hour ago, Skinz_4_life said:

Interested in how all the chicken little Allen and Snyder haters feel about another solid free agent pick up?? 

Go over to the FA thread then. I think you will see we're all pretty happy about it, and very surprised at the price. Would have liked a LTD, but I'll take the OYC and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Skinz_4_life said:

Interested in how all the chicken little Allen and Snyder haters feel about another solid free agent pick up?? 

The good news is that apparently we're now the place players go on their prove-it deals.  The bad news is that ends when Kirk walks out the door.

You'll say that the QB doesn't matter to a defensive player, but the reality is that a guy on a prove-it deal wants to play for a 9-7 team, not a 3-13 team.

12 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That's just petty. The fact that she's keeping an eye on automated Redskins tweets, and the fact that the tweet didn't say GM...it said "scouts". We still have scouts.

I know. She's totally unhinged. And she better be careful if Scot wants a job in the NFL. That's not particularly endearing for a future employer to see. 

At the same time, what organization gets trolled by the wife of someone they just fired? I mean, really!? 

Like... when this type of stuff occurs at some point you have to reflect and say "what kind of **** am I inviting into my life by my actions"? 

I don't know. Just can't stand the bitterness and anger so many have left this organization with. It's not a normal number that's expected, if there is even one. 

Totally get what you're saying. It's baffling. It's easy to scream "Snyder!!1!!" but there are lots of poorly run organizations in the league led by objectively bad, clueless owners. And it's still not like this. 

Everyone knows the NFL chews up and spits out most of those who go through it. But this is another level of failure. It gets personal, over and over. 

Only other example I can think of in recent years would be Jed York vs. Harbaugh. Other terrible owners just fail on the field, not in their relationships with everyone they ever fire. 

15 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There is a reason that reporters come and go, yet the stories remain in the same vein. 

This is a very good point.  Reporters new to the market do not have a built up agenda, yet they report the same things the DC vets are reporting.  Often you hear them say how shocked they were at what they saw.  When it happens over and over again from many different people what does that tell you? 

Archived