Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moose & Squirrel v Boris & Natasha: what's the deal with the rooskies and trumpland?

Jumbo

48 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Jesse Smollett just indicted on 6 felony indictments.... if he gets more time than Manafort the gig is officially up.

Hey, Jesse paid to have somebody assaulted. Manafort got railroaded on "process crimes". 

Spoiler

Y'all do do realize this is sarcasm, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Larry said:

Can anybody give me a summary of what Manafort is actually convicted of?  Not the titles of the various laws, but a description of the criminal actions. 

I asked that yesterday and got lambasted..... from what I read he basically took money from questionable sources and lied about it to not have to pay taxes on it... 

Paul Manafort, who once served as President Trump’s campaign chairman, was sentenced to nearly four years in prison Thursday for cheating on his taxes and bank fraud — a far lesser sentence than the roughly 20 years he had faced under federal sentencing guidelines.

So cheating on his taxes and lying to get loans.

Edited by Cooked Crack

Remember that there were a number of other charges that he could/should easily have been convicted of as well, and may still be.

Not to mention the countless crimes he's committed and lives he's helped ruin all over the world over the years while lining his pockets.  (not that he's charged with those, but that does effect sentencing and go against what the judge said)

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Larry said:

Can anybody give me a summary of what Manafort is actually convicted of?  Not the titles of the various laws, but a description of the criminal actions. 

From: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/muellers-case-against-paul-manafort-explained

In August 2018, Manafort was convicted by a jury in federal court in Virginia on two counts of bank fraud, five counts of tax fraud and one count of failing to disclose an offshore bank account. The charges stemmed from Manafort’s political consulting work for a pro-Russia political party in Ukraine.

EDVA Indictments here: https://www.justice.gov/file/1038391/download

Basically, he made a bunch of money through his lobbying work and then tried to hide the money to support a lavish lifestyle.

17 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Jesse Smollett just indicted on 6 felony indictments.... if he gets more time than Manafort the gig is officially up.

Well the 24.5 Million in fines (and restitution)  is a bit of a equalizer

Edited by twa

1 minute ago, twa said:

Well the 24.5 Million in fines is a bit of a equalizer

I mean, it's restitution he owes to victims based on what he received from illicit sources.  It's not really coming out of his personal, legally acquired, wealth.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I wouldnt consider having to give back the money you stole from a bank “restitution”... 

Jesus. Will you people stop beating up on Manafort so much while the guy's already down? This is a fine, upstanding rich white man who may have become incredibly wealthy by helping finance and promote brutal, oppressive, and murderous strongmen all around the world but other than that he's a completely blameless dude. 

Where's your empathy, people? Don't act like you've never accepted millions of dollars bathed in the blood of innocents before. Hypocrites. 

All sarcasm aside though, that dude should have gotten AT LEAST 5 years purely because of that ludicrous ostrich jacket. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Jesus. Will you people stop beating up on Manafort so much while the guy's already down? This is a fine, upstanding rich white man who may have become incredibly wealthy by helping finance and promote brutal, oppressive, and murderous strongmen all around the world but other than that he's a completely blameless dude. 

Where's your empathy, people? Don't act like you've never accepted millions of dollars bathed in the blood of innocents before. Hypocrites. 

All sarcasm aside though, that dude should have gotten AT LEAST 5 years purely because of that ludicrous ostrich jacket

The morons that support him should have to wear it.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 10:17 AM, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I wouldnt consider having to give back the money you stole from a bank “restitution”... 

the people he got it from probably have a different opinion.

Incarceration or punishment has it's place....but it doesn't pay the bills. :pint: