Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moose & Squirrel v Boris & Natasha: what's the deal with the rooskies and trumpland?

Jumbo

there's a ton-o-irony in various aspects of dumpster beating hillpill and our current state...but one example I don't hear mentioned during coverage is how the daily drip of those troublesome leaks (the ones that aren't coming from stump's own staff/circle) is such a mirror of what wiki/russia/trumpcompany  did to the clinton cabal...i assume  that is deliberate for both tactical and vengeful purposes...:P

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

there's a ton-o-irony in various aspects of dumpster beating hillpill and our current state...but one example I don't hear mentioned during coverage is how the daily drip of those troublesome leaks (the ones that aren't coming from stump's own staff/circle) is such a mirror of what wiki/russia/trumpcompany  did to the clinton cabal...i assume  that is deliberate for both tactical and vengeful purposes...:P

Is there not a difference between a Russian email hack, and leaks from within Trump's OWN administration? Also, leaks on info that aren't classified?

Kushner under scrutiny must be terrifying for people in Trumpland, since that almost certainly means the Asian connections are getting checked too.  Kushner has Russian ties too, of course, but he's in deep with Chinese too, indeed maybe even more so to Chinese than Russians.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I certainly can't condone leaks of top secret stuff provided by our allies, but the leaks that damn the White House from staffers are both great and awful. On the one hand, whistle blowing is the only tool they have to bring attention to wrongdoing and you have to applaud the transparency if it outs corruption, but on the other hand whistle blowing can be pretty ethically murky if it's used as a primary tool. There should be other avenues that staffers could exhaust internally first. It should be a tool of last desperation.

If that's where we are already... it shows the degree to which Trump is a danger. I get the feeling that the most professional members of the bureaucracy are the ones doing the leaking. I also have a feeling some of it is the Bannon camp leaking to spite the Priebus camp and vice versa. In any case, to the degree that the leaks are true one should be alarmed. Is it on the whole good or bad does partly depend on whether you sit on the visitors side or the home side. If you are on the home side, you are probably pro-leak :evilsmiley: )

Overall, most of me approves of the whistle blowing that brings to light Trump corruption. I certainly am more wary about any whistle blowing that weakens security or abuses the trust of our allies. Sadly, many of those leaks seem to be coming from the President's lips. That probably does expose a failing in me as I was not really a fan of Snowden (though I more opposed to his running than the whistleblowing itself. I felt if you believe things are that bad that you need to take a stand and go outside the system then you stay and face the consequences of your action.)

Anyway, vive le leak.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Burgold said:

If that's where we are already... it shows the degree to which Trump is a danger. I get the feeling that the most professional members of the bureaucracy are the ones doing the leaking. I also have a feeling some of it is the Bannon camp leaking to spite the Priebus camp and vice versa. In any case, to the degree that the leaks are true one should be alarmed. Is it on the whole good or bad does partly depend on whether you sit on the visitors side or the home side. If you are on the home side, you are probably pro-leak :evilsmiley: )

I think people are potentially sleeping on Kellyanne Conway hard as far as leaks go. Potentially. I wouldn't be shocked if after the fact that's all revealed. I mean it would all be very self serving as she tries to salvage her dignity and reputation from the rubble but whatever. The only thing that gives me pause on that theory is her husband. Cause I imagine he'd have to be in on it and that might be too much. 

• Like 1

So now we have government resources (FBI) performing cyber security for a private company just because Trump didn't divest? 

What crap.  I don't want my tax dollars going to this.

I'm surprised that Republicans aren't up in arms, like if this was a Democrat president. /sarcasm

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

So now we have government resources (FBI) performing cyber security for a private company just because Trump didn't divest? 

What crap.  I don't want my tax dollars going to this.

While I have no doubt that a Trump company gets a little extra attention, it is in fact normal procedure for the FBI to investigate and attempt to counter corporate espionage by foreign entities. Here's an article from 2015 for example: http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/24/politics/fbi-economic-espionage/

At a briefing at the FBI's Washington headquarters, the head of the agency's counterintelligence division, Randall Coleman, said the bureau has seen a 53% increase in economic espionage cases, or the theft of trade secrets leading to the loss of hundreds of billions of dollars, over the past year. He cited examples of large corporations successfully targeted in the past such as DuPont, Lockheed Martin and Valspar, who have since worked with the bureau to further safeguard their intellectual property.

To highlight this growing threat to the U.S. economy, the FBI has launched a nationwide campaign intended to warn industry leaders of the danger they face from foreign actors. But the FBI not only considers this a threat to American economic prosperity, but to its physical security as well.

"Economic security is national security," said Bill Evanina, the head of the National Counterintelligence and Security Center and one of the agents leading the charge in stemming the threat to corporations. Many of the tools used are the same as the ones used to track terrorists, he said.
Edited by techboy

Replace Jared Kushner with Chelsea Clinton and the right would be having a full blown meltdown atm.

The email fiasco looks like a total joke compared to this. 

Sectet back channel comms with Russia to go around US NatSec ... thanks "Real America"

Edited by No Excuses

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/russian-ambassador-told-moscow-that-kushner-wanted-secret-communications-channel-with-kremlin/2017/05/26/520a14b4-422d-11e7-9869-bac8b446820a_story.html?pushid=5928b4602e12651d00000008&tid=notifi_push_breaking-news&utm_term=.8d0a105401fc

Russian ambassador told Moscow that Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin

Jared Kushner and Russia’s ambassador to Washington discussed the possibility of setting up a secret and secure communications channel between Trump’s transition team and the Kremlin, using Russian diplomatic facilities in an apparent move to shield their pre-inauguration discussions from monitoring, according to U.S. officials briefed on intelligence reports.

Ambassador Sergei Kislyak reported to his superiors in Moscow that Kushner, son-in-law and confidant to then-President-elect Trump, made the proposal during a meeting on Dec. 1 or 2 at Trump Tower, according to intercepts of Russian communications that were reviewed by U.S. officials. Kislyak said Kushner suggested using Russian diplomatic facilities in the United States for the communications.

The meeting also was attended by Michael Flynn, Trump’s first national security adviser.

Jeebus criminy.

And to think there was a time I thought there was a chance Jared would be a moderating factor up there.  Admittedly, only a chance, but still, wow, not even close.  Guy sounds like he might be the worst offender.

One thing I'll say is that if Kushner is in deep, Trump is almost certainly too.  Trump loves Kushner and keeps him close.  I would say Kushner is probably smart enough to insulate Trump, but if he's dumb enough to ask for a backchannel using Russian communications equipment, he's probably dumb enough to discuss it with daddy-in-law.

And Trump, of course, is too dumb to insulate himself.