Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Dealing with Anxiety/Panic Disorder Thread

AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy

Not sure how many out there in ES land suffer from anxiety, but I wanted to start a thread to discuss all things related to anxiety/panic disorders.  I hope others will share their success tips, techniques, treatments, pitfalls, horror stories, etc., so that our brothers and sisters here may benefit from that knowledge.  

After a long and successful neurofeedback treatment regiment, I had been mostly symptom free for a couple of years, aside from a rare episode or two.  I recently suffered a relapse, and this past week has been extremely difficult.  I had almost forgotten how debilitating these symptoms could be.  As much I hate to medicate, there were times this week when I felt I had no choice.  I could barely take a shower or drive to the store.  When the meds wore off, I was right back in the arena.  I couldn't seem to shake it.  

My wife had bought me a book about a month ago titled DARE by Barry McDonagh.  I had my relapse right before I started reading it.  Anyone with anxiety knows how uncomfortable it is to discuss it/read about it in times of 'crisis'. Today I was able to read it, and I'm happy that I did.  Definitely some helpful approaches to dealing with anxiety/panic disorder symptoms.  Much more useful than any other reading I have done, and explains why some of the things that you would think might help actually make things worse.  

From my experience, I would encourage anyone taking anti-anxiety meds to look into neurofeedback therapy.  Anxiety symptoms are usually a result of combative brainwave activity.  In laymans terms, neurofeedback therapy helps get your brainwaves back on track.  It's also been proven to be an effective treatment for PTSD, depression, etc.  It certainly changed my life.    

I've been prescribed xanax.  I don't recommend taking it because it stays in your system for a long time and after it leaves, you have more attacks than when you started.  But sometimes you gotta do whatcha gotta do.  I've tried CBD oil.  I like it, but it doesn't seem to last for super long and seems more like a band aid than a worthy treatment.  I don't smoke weed anymore because of the paranoia/anxiety that comes with it.  

I have used Calms (Calms Forte) which is an OTC drug you can pick up at any pharmacy.  It's sold as a sleep aid.  They are natural, non-habit forming, and I would recommend them to anyone.  I had been strictly taking those back in the day, until my anxiety peaked a notch or two to where they no longer provided relief.  You can take a couple and in about an hour you should be chilled out.  These are an awesome alternative to hard meds.  

I don't usually get too personal on here.  I like the anonymity.  I prefer to just be the dude with the overly long movie reviews that nobody gives a **** about. :)

However, almost a year ago I received a 'how to quit smoking' tip in the RTT that I wound up using.   I have been smoke free ever since.  

I wanted to pay it forward a bit.  :cheers:

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I'm standing by on this thread as I think I have mild panic attacks at random times.  Mostly me thinking that I'm going to have a heart attack.

Hmm. I have that exact same issue. It happens occasionally as I'm falling asleep. I jump up grabbing my chest yelling "Oh my God!" Not a good feeling.

31 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

Hmm. I have that exact same issue. It happens occasionally as I'm falling asleep. I jump up grabbing my chest yelling "Oh my God!" Not a good feeling.

That sounds like heart palpitations. I have them, and they come on with no warning, sometimes when I am laying down.  I got mine checked out by the cardiologist and electrophysiologist to figure out exactly what group of cells is causing the issue (mine were so bad at one point that I was having an extra ventricular contraction every sixth beat - didn't sleep more than an hour at a time for like 2 weeks).  400mg Magnesium Malate, 200mg COQ10, and 5,000 iu Vitamin D3 is the regimen I am on now. I only feel them rarely now (went more then 3 months without feeling them). When they happen laying down, it freaks you out. I think everyone initially fears heart attack because your heart feels like it is flailing around your chest.

My lady had a very traumatic childhood. She suffers from PTSD, anxiety, neurosis and many other conditions. She doesnt sleep well, is always tired and drinks approx 20 miller lites every single day. She went through years of therapy as a teenager but hasnt since. 

Most days pretty much suck trying to conversate with her. Last night after our daughter went down, I asked her is she wanted to watch something together. That triggered a 15 min long monologue from her on how she never knows when I want to watch something together or if I want to watch sports and how she plans on what she wants to watch and how I cant just one day ask if she wants to watch something together one night but then another I want to watch sports .. and it goes on for 15 minutes.

We will have this same conversation tonight in which she will talk and I have to listen and make eye contact (or that creates another 15 min rant/monologue)

I then say "ok, like I asked, do you want to watch something?"

Sorry Alvin, I have 100% empathy for ppl suffering from anxiety and ptsd .... but it is rough for the spouse as well. Nothing is normal or easy going. Nothing. Grocery shopping. Every single week she goes on and on about how she doesnt have a time to make a list and cut coupons. On Saturday morning she spends about 3 hours in bed going through and cutting coupons. We then go to the store and she takes hours shopping bc she gets over whelmed and then doesnt even use a single coupon she spent hours cutting. 

Its like Groundhog's Day.

She has about 20 triggers that trigger the same lecture I have heard a zillion times before. Most blame me directly or indirectly. About once every 2 years she hits rock bottom, things really get bad, she says she wants help, etc ... then a few weeks later we are back to the normal routine of her anxiety and she doesnt want help bc she doesnt need it. 

My daughter and I spend a lot of time playing in the basement while she does these repetitive tedious tasks that dont actually accomplish anything. Its not like she is just walking around in a circle but I see that as being her natural progression in 20 years. 

We have a vacation set for Florida next month and she had a dream that the plane crashed and she doesnt want to go. Im 90% sure it will just be my daughter and I going. 

Fun times.

19 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

My lady had a very traumatic childhood. She suffers from PTSD, anxiety, neurosis and many other conditions. She doesnt sleep well, is always tired and drinks approx 20 miller lites every single day. She went through years of therapy as a teenager but hasnt since. 

Pink, this story is not one of someone who is in a good place -- for her, you or your daughter. I'm sorry. Have you explored options for her?

Yeah, 20 a day means she will have liver damage in a matter of months, not years.

Anyways, I used to have panic attacks often. I quit smoking, and they happened much less frequently. I quit drinking soda and they all but went away.

I still have them every now and then, and am prescribed xanax. I end up taking about 2 every month, so it's pretty manageable.

My best advice would be to cut out nicotine and caffeine. Drink lots of water. I know it sounds silly, but there you go. Good luck :)

2 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

That sounds like heart palpitations. I have them, and they come on with no warning, sometimes when I am laying down.  I got mine checked out by the cardiologist and electrophysiologist to figure out exactly what group of cells is causing the issue (mine were so bad at one point that I was having an extra ventricular contraction every sixth beat - didn't sleep more than an hour at a time for like 2 weeks).  400mg Magnesium Malate, 200mg COQ10, and 5,000 iu Vitamin D3 is the regimen I am on now. I only feel them rarely now (went more then 3 months without feeling them). When they happen laying down, it freaks you out. I think everyone initially fears heart attack because your heart feels like it is flailing around your chest.

Wow. I never get them as frequently as you did. Yes it does freak you out. Thanks for the tips.

Once was prescribed Xanax, the full dose made me fall asleep, so I cut them in half and then half again as my situation resolved. Every day and then every other day and so on. Just to take the edge off. I carried it every day just in case for years. It helped to just have it. 

No herb as I was subject at any time for drug test by my clients.

I found this OTC herbal preparation called Formula 303 Natural Relaxant. It doesn't work as fast as Xanax, but takes the edge off. Also, breathing exercises help.

I've been on Citalopram (same family as Lexapro) for about seven years now.  I believe my anxiety got kicked off because of an automobile accident (I wasn't seriously hurt), but it was probably in the cards anyway, anxiety runs in the family.  I believe that knowing all that helped me in the long run because when I started getting the panic attacks I had a pretty good idea of what they were all about and got the meds quick.

Then last summer I decided to go off the meds; I thought I could handle it and maybe take a Xanax when needed.  Things went ok for a while; did the taper thing to avoid the worst of the withdrawal symptoms.  All went well for a couple weeks, then the anxiety came back.  Coincidentally about the same time I began to change my outlook on life.  Started studying Buddhism, began meditation routines, breathing exercises, the works.  Things were great, I mean, really great.  My outlook was sunny, woke up with a smile on my face, you name it.  Then, after a few weeks, it stopped.  I'm not as down as I once was, I thank my meditation for that, but for that short time things were MUCH better.  I often wonder if I would have been better off if I had stayed off the meds and let the meditation do its thing, like the meds are dulling things in my head a bit.

Had some stupid thing happen to me in middle school --- I had a constant fear/feeling that I had to frequently urinate throughout middle school and probably stopped at the bathroom between every period --- same thing through high school.  I went to Dr early on, but there was no physical issue --- I never told my parents that some kids (well a-hole middle school peers) pulled a "harmless prank" on me that resulted in pretty much in every girl in 7th grade thinking I was a creep.  

The truth is that this feeling stayed with me through HS (off and on as time went by) and never really left me until I had a religious experience in college.... 

I never really got therapy or anything --- but feel so much peace now and after that went away that I am sure I am too relaxed/laid back.... for me it was a complete prison than freedom experience.  

Not sure this helps OP or others - other than I remember what an anxious wreck I was in at public places... 

6 hours ago, KingGibbs said:

Yeah, I've had some when falling asleep lately.  Sometimes I'll lay down and my heart feels like it's beating at a nice slow pace 60ish bpm, but it feels like it's beating hard.  I have palpitations very rarely, but it's freaky.

I think alcohol complicates the issues.  I seldom drink any more but I notice that it happens more after drinking (not while drinking).

I get plenty of exercise, never feel issues during excercise.  So that leads me to believe that it's anxiety.

I don't feel as though it's serious enough to bother seeing a doctor about.

4 hours ago, zoony said:

What is a panic attack?  I get anxiety but not sure if its an issue or just part of the human experience

If you had one, you would know it.  You can really lose your ****.  It's disorienting and you feel like you're gonna die.  Sweating.  Throat closing.  Shaking.  Chest pain.  You would think you were having a heart attack.

Anxiety is totally a part of the human experience.  It's a matter of how your mind interprets these feelings/body sensations.  Once you've had an episode, it's hard to get out of the anxiety 'loop'.  Every time you feel a heart twinge, or your body temp go up, etc., your mind goes into 'here we go again' mode.  It's like quicksand.  

21 minutes ago, Phantasm said:

I often wonder if I would have been better off if I had stayed off the meds and let the meditation do its thing, like the meds are dulling things in my head a bit.

Thanks for sharing, Phantasm.  So I understand correctly, you were on Citalopram, got off of it, started meditating, had a great experience for a while, but eventually the anxiety came back.  And now you're back on Citalopram?  Just trying to gain some clarity on your situation.

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

Generalized anxiety disorder since I was about 9 or 10, agoraphobia since I was 19, spent 18 months on lexapro from 2014-2016. I'll be posting things here on occasion when I have something longer to write, but AMA. 

How extreme is your agoraphobia today?  You're off of Lexapro now?  

What meds or techniques are you using to cope and what symptoms are you still hampered by?  

7 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Pick up some of these at CVS or Walgreens.  They're legit for taking the edge off.  

Really ? Hmm... Thanks, I will give it a try. 

I barely sleep as it is, and trying to not drink as much to get me that comfortable sleep. 

My problem, from what I have been told is that I am always thinking...about everything. My point in trying to get rest is to get away from thinking. 

I've done better still not to the point I would like to be. I still have to think about...sleep. 

My wife doesn't get it. the Doc doesn't, I don't. It's just frustrating. 

I sleep so little that I feel like it might be harmful...eventually it will. 

We'll see. I'll sleep when I am dead. 

Citalopram has worked wonders for both my anxiety and depression.  Not thrilled about being on meds, but I tried meditating as my psychologist recommended and the helped some but the attacks persisted. The Citalopram changed my life, I've never Felt so free.  Wish I would've went to a doctor years ago before I started medicating with alcohol for over a decade.   

Marijuana also helps mellow me out.

24 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Really ? Hmm... Thanks, I will give it a try. 

I barely sleep as it is, and trying to not drink as much to get me that comfortable sleep. 

My problem, from what I have been told is that I am always thinking...about everything. My point in trying to get rest is to get away from thinking. 

I had a similar issue.  I didn't sleep much, and when I did, I never felt rested.  That's because my brain was always on 'high alert'.  Your brain is supposed to idle back when you close your eyes, mine actually sped up.  My alpha waves were too high.

Check out the Calms for sure.  I used to take them to make sure I didn't have a spike during the day at work, etc.  You also might want to check out some neuro therapy in your area.  It really tuned out the noise for me.

Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Thanks for sharing, Phantasm.  So I understand correctly, you were on Citalopram, got off of it, started meditating, had a great experience for a while, but eventually the anxiety came back.  And now you're back on Citalopram?  Just trying to gain some clarity on your situation.

Sorry, that wasn't very clear, and I actually went back to check some dates to help clarify.  I started on Citalopram in January of 2011 and stayed on it until last March 28th, and did a slow taper, eventually being completely off it June 19th.  I have no real good reason for going off the meds other than I don't like the idea of taking more drugs than I have to.  Things were ok for a while, on par to how things were before I started the taper, but nothing extraordinary.  Then in late August I began to have the anxiety attacks again, so on September 5th I began taking the meds again.  While I was waiting for the medicine to kick in I began seeking alternative help and began meditation, this was in early September as well.

Not long after that I began to notice a real change in my mood, and outlook on life.  This was a profound experience, I have no other way to describe it.  My attitude did a 180, nothing stressed me out anymore, and things that used to set me off stopped affecting me at all, it was awesome.  This went on for a few weeks, and then it just stopped, almost as suddenly as it began.  Luckily the anxiety seems completely gone, but I'm back to my pessimistic self again.  I have a belief that maybe I can completely control the anxiety with meditation and get back some of that euphoria I had before, and that the Citalopram has a bit of a mind numbing effect.

I plan on doing a taper again to see if I can replicate the results without the medicine, but there is the fear that the anxiety will come back with a vengeance, and unfortunately the Citalopram takes a little while to kick in fully.

36 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

My problem, from what I have been told is that I am always thinking...about everything.

I think I am a lot like that as well.  A lot of times the important stuff doesn't seem to get through the white noise.

3 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

How extreme is your agoraphobia today?  You're off of Lexapro now?  

What meds or techniques are you using to cope and what symptoms are you still hampered by?  

It's extreme enough that I weigh my decisions to go out and do things against the potential anxiety I'll experience. I seldom go further out than an hour from home. But it's mild enough that I have a job and am finishing up a graduate degree and can go out with my wife and friends within a certain radius without feeling too uncomfortable.

The agoraphobia became very difficult to handle when I moved to SoCal, so I got on lexapro and it leveled me out enough to get familiar with the area and settle in. At that point, I decided it wasn't worth the supreme emotional leveling that I experienced. Once I got off of it, holy ****, I was a wreck. Cried all the time, at the strangest moments, and was about as emotionally needy as I've been since I was a small child. But it got me to refocus my interests and I found a very exciting new path because of it. I'm not sure I'll get on lexapro again, but every moment of that time (and immediately afterward) shaped me into who I am today.

As far as coping is concerned, I just do what I can handle and try to expand the radius a bit further until I have another panic attack and it shrinks again. Not engaging with that fear in any capacity for a long period of time makes it much worse. 

Archived