Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The HOF Voting Process is a Sham...The Terrell Owens Omission is Insane

RonArtest15

I just don't get it.  Can anyone give a rational explanation as to why they think he shouldn't be in the hall?  There is too much power given to the people that vote.  I actually heard an interesting point this morning.  Part of the reason why Art Monk was passed over for so many years was due to the fact that he was extremely quiet and never really gave the media too much by way of soundbites etc.  Owens, is the exact opposite and was passed over yet again. 

156 TDs, 1078 catches, 15934 yards....but not HOF worthy.  LOL.  What a joke. 

I can't stand the voters of the pro football hall of fame. They act like they are the keepers of all things holy in football. What they have done to WR the past 20 years is ridiculous. We know what they did to Monk, but Irvin had to wait, Carter had to wait, Reed had to wait, now Owens. For all we know, Randy Moss will have to wait. It is a shame because I just mentioned some of the best receivers of their era and the committee wanted them to "wait their turn". Yet, they have no problems taking a spot for the good ole boys club and putting another owner in. Let's reward our own and keep them happy while we keep out guys we didn't like. 

Owens was and is a hall of fame prick. But he was also a hall of fame player that no defense wanted to face.

5 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

100% agree and of course Jacoby(not to hijack)

Ive heard people say it was because of Owens "mouth", yet we got to listen to "Primetime" puke it up at his HOF ceremony.

I just don't get the point the voters are trying to make.  On top of it all, Randy Moss is up for induction next year.  I'd be extremely upset if he's passed over, which seems likely due to how some media members hold grudges. 

The numbers don't lie. 

Honestly, I think TO is vastly overrated. Incredible physical specimen, but mediocre hands. Made an abundance of highlight reels, but also killed plenty of drives, and bullied his QBs into throwing his way more often than his lack of reliability warranted. Deion and Irvin were/are annoying as hell, but they were not the locker room cancer that is TO.

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

Honestly, I think TO is vastly overrated. Incredible physical specimen, but mediocre hands. Made an abundance of highlight reels, but also killed plenty of drives, and bullied his QBs into throwing his way more often than his lack of reliability warranted. Deion and Irvin were/are annoying as hell, but they were not the locker room cancer that is TO.

No disrespect, to each his own, but this sounds like exactly what I'd expect the conversations of the voters to sound like.  A bunch of guys that think they know whats best for a team, locker room, etc. that have never done it or been in one without a microphone.

I've never been a fan of T.O. and believe the way he conducted himself is partially to blame for him not being in, but at the end of the day the dude was electrifying in different area codes ON THE FIELD, which is what the HOF is about.  I'd think the opinion of those who suited up with or against him should carry more weight than that of some stiff in a suit writing stories.

2 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

156 TDs, 1078 catches, 15934 yards....but not HOF worthy.  LOL.  What a joke. 

Honestly, I didn't put a whole lot of thought into it when I heard he was left out, again. Damn, those stats though...there shouldn't have been a passed over again.

Agree he should be in...first or second ballot guy, not so sure. He led the league in drops a couple of different years from what I remember. He put up big numbers, sure. However, it's been really tough on wide receivers for years because there are so many, are freakishly athletic, and are dependent upon the QB getting the ball to them. It's not as easy as say a RB or QB to quantify their impact. Heck, I would put in Hines Ward over T.O. just for the run blocking alone, which is often overlooked. 

Moss should get in before T.O. next year.

1 minute ago, Vilandil Tasardur said:

I don't want to live in a world where Kurt Warner is a HOFer. Dude may be the most overrated QB since Namath.

I was saying the same thing Saturday night. I have never understood the obsession with a QB that had 2 or 3 great years and that's it. But I think this goes to the OPs post about Owens. Warner by all accounts is a great guy. You'd have to be really spiteful to find something bad to say about him as a person. But TO on the other hand, where do we start with what a bad guy he is. And now you have one guy with sure fire numbers not in the hall and another guy with just a few great seasons in. It's so mind boggling. So much so, I'm defending a bozo like TO. 

8 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

I was saying the same thing Saturday night. I have never understood the obsession with a QB that had 2 or 3 great years and that's it. But I think this goes to the OPs post about Owens. Warner by all accounts is a great guy. You'd have to be really spiteful to find something bad to say about him as a person. But TO on the other hand, where do we start with what a bad guy he is. And now you have one guy with sure fire numbers not in the hall and another guy with just a few great seasons in. It's so mind boggling. So much so, I'm defending a bozo like TO. 

That is complete BS....Owens dominated at WR for many many years.  His stats alone justify him getting into the Hall of Fame (first ballot).  You cannot name one things about TO that should justify keeping him out of the Hall of Fame....not one.  He has not been to jail, no drugs, no assault...nothing.  The true character flaw is with the voting process, TO should had been in last year.

Terrell Davis gets in before TO?

10 minutes ago, Dexter said:

That is complete BS....Owens dominated at WR for many many years.  His stats alone justify him getting into the Hall of Fame (first ballot).  You cannot name one things about TO that should justify keeping him out of the Hall of Fame....not one.  He has not been to jail, no drugs, no assault...nothing.  The true character flaw is with the voting process, TO should had been in last year.

Terrell Davis gets in before TO?

I think you missed my point. I was saying TO should be in because of his numbers. But voters don't like him because of his character. Warner got in with just a few years a greatness, but people liked him. 

I can see both sides of the TO issue.   But what I am baffled about is Jason Taylor over Jacoby.... I mean how do you even compare those two guys careers?  Or for that Matter. Terrel Davis.  Cooley and Kevin were talking about this this morning.  Davis was ilke 51st on the career rushing chart?  Clinton POrtis is like half way further up the chart.  I know, he has two rings, but rings aren't a guarantee to get in... are they?

9 hours ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

Ive heard people say it was because of Owens "mouth", yet we got to listen to "Primetime" puke it up at his HOF ceremony.

Yes, but "PrimeTime" never insinuated in a national magazine that a one-time teammate of his was gay the way Owens did with a one-time QB on the 49ers (Jeff Garcia):

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=1856715

That could've been really damaging to Garcia, especially with all the machismo that flows in NFL locker rooms. That was a ****ly thing to do.

Owens belongs in the HoF, but I won't cry any tears for him while he plays the waiting game. The guy can be a world-class jerk.

7 hours ago, Veretax said:

I can see both sides of the TO issue.   But what I am baffled about is Jason Taylor over Jacoby.... I mean how do you even compare those two guys careers?

This. Taylor was mediocre at best in the playoffs. no rings, but got in his first year based on a few years he made all pro teams which are decided by the same guys who vote hof entry. I wonder if "fleeced the Redskins for a 2nd rounder during his twilight" weighed in on their vote.

1 hour ago, jphilly said:

Well to had talent 2nd to known . But when you think " PRofessional " athlete  he was not . Its a shame that it holds him out but he was a bit of an ass everywhere he went 

So are a lot of guys who are in the hall.  Owens' #'s MORE than back up the claim that he should have been 1st ballot.  You can easily make a case for him being top 5-10 ever at his position.  No reason for him not to be enshrined due to some pencil-pushing nerds holding a grudge.  They have too much power. 

Owens doesn't have the production in the playoffs...that's one of his biggest obstacles.

To put it in better perspective, Pierre Garcon has been more productive in the playoffs than Owens.

Add to that, the only time he made the Super Bowl, his team made it there without him...

He has never lead the league in receptions or yards...he has lead the league in TDs several times, though.

Put on top of that all the ways in which he seemed to disrespect the game, his teammates and his coaches. That's a lot to overcome.

He was never gonna be a first ballot HOF'er (and doesn't deserve to be imo)...but he'll get in eventually, I'm pretty sure.

The process is a joke - you can't induct an owner and a kicker when there is such a backlog of insanely accomplished people.  There should be some sort of automatic 1st ballot induction for people who make All Pro 5+ times, and the automatic 1st balloters shouldn't take away from that year's quota of inductees.  We shouldn't be wasting our time debating whether or not TO should be in the HOF, or how long he should have to wait.  We should be debating borderline cases like Warner, Terrell Davis, Calvin Johnson, etc.

There are 2 All Pro receivers each year.  Terrell Owens was named All Pro FIVE different years.  That's insane.  Only Jerry Rice has more.  This is the type of longevity + dominance combination that is not debatable - if you have HOF and a guy like Owens isn't in it, what's the point?

Archived