Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Trump intends to announce his Supreme Court pick on Feb. 2

visionary

3 minutes ago, mrcunning15 said:

Obstruction seemed to work for the R's. Why do you think it will not work for the D's? 

depends on how you define 'work'

i wasn't for the R's obstruciton. I thought it was bad for the country.

I think the D's doing the same thing, before seeing what it is they are specifically objecting to, is also bad for the country. It's revenge for what the R's did. It's petulant. It's hypocritical.

If they want to object to specific things that's fine. A blanket declaration of obstructionism before anything is even proposed is not.

The fact that so many so easily justify one and condemn the other, depending on which side their favorite team is on at any given time, sucks.

3 minutes ago, mrcunning15 said:

Obstruction seemed to work for the R's. Why do you think it will not work for the D's? 

Because they don't have the power to obstruct and they know it. And it didn't only work out for the GOP it worked out for the Dems as well. Don't forget Reid's use of his majority power to deny any and all Republican amendments to bills.  

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

If this seat gets filled in the next four years, the Democrats have failed. Period.

At this point, I don't want another justice on the court in my lifetime until Garland gets a hearing. If he dies first, I want his corpse to get a hearing.

Well that's a healthy outlook.

6 minutes ago, nonniey said:

That really doesn't make any sense imo. Obama changing the balance of the Supreme Court  would have been a key component of his legacy.

A legacy can work both ways.  He had already gone WAY left with both picks.  If he swung the SC too far left, his legacy could be tarnished.  He left it for the next person (who he thought would be Hillary) and exited the office with a perfect legacy in SC picks.

1 minute ago, tshile said:

depends on how you define 'work'

i wasn't for the R's obstruciton. I thought it was bad for the country.

I think the D's doing the same thing, before seeing what it is they are specifically objecting to, is also bad for the country. It's revenge for what the R's did. It's petulant. It's hypocritical.

If they want to object to specific things that's fine. A blanket declaration of obstructionism before anything is even proposed is not.

The fact that so many so easily justify one and condemn the other, depending on which side their favorite team is on at any given time, sucks.

Sucks? Yeah, it does

Invalid? Not so sure

I don't see a whole lot of people looking back and getting nostalgic about the trains running on time or the VW, if you get my drift.

2 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Because they don't have the power to obstruct and they know it. And it didn't only work out for the GOP it worked out for the Dems as well. Don't forget Reid's use of his majority power to deny any and all Republican amendments to bills.  

Agreed.  You'll see a bit of obstruction from the left, but it won't (and probably shouldn't) be anywhere near the opposition we saw from the right.  

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

The Dems should absolutely filibuster the nomination and force the GOP to think about using the nuclear option on a SCOTUS pick. 

The real question is..would the GOP do that? Because it opens them up to being steamrolled if/when the D's get majority again. 

You assume we will continue to hold free and fair elections. Dems won't take the Senate in 2018. The map works against them. And there's a lot that could happen before 2020... I'll leave it at that. 

On a more humorous note: 

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

"he started it" and working out of revenge is a dangerous game.

i'm not saying you're wrong for being angry, or that at least on some level you're right about the GOP deserving it.

it's just a dangerous game and i'm not so sure it leads to a good place for us as a whole.

Completely agree, like last night right after the announcement during Pelosi's town hall she completely trashed this nomination in every way possible right after places like CNN were hailing it as a good choice. Party politics like that don't sit well with me, we have to put the country first. Sure the GOP deserves to be messed with but is this the issue to do that? I don't think so

I just don't understand why anyone would think the move here is to be as difficult as possible when the record shows that Dems voted like Repubs unanimously for him to get a seat on the second court already. Now that Trump nominated him they want to block him? This won't go over well with everyone and seems to be an approach that will undermine the Dems in my opinion and lend sympathy for the GOP. IMO

6 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Yes we've had this discussion before but it doesn't mean you are any more correct now than you were before.

Lets make a deal  - if either of these options occur you will admit I was right:  #1 they don't filibuster or  #2 they do filibuster and the Republicans eliminate filibusters for Supreme Court nominations?  I'll admit I was wrong if the Dems filibuster and successfully kill the nomination.

9 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Well that's a healthy outlook.

You want healthy?  I hope America maintains this healthy level of anger right up until the next Presidential election so we can vote the man-baby out of office and send him back to Trump Tower where he can experience a lonely, miserable senility.

He's a bad guy.  I hope he does wonders for the Nation for 3 and a half more years and then disappears.  The first two weeks don't look so promising on the "doing wonders" part though. 

1 minute ago, bobandweave said:

Party politics like that don't sit well with me, we have to put the country first.

Yup.

And what I'm sick of seeing are people saying this when the other team is doing it, then doing it themselves when it becomes convenient for them.

You're either genuinely interested in compromise, genuinely interested in hearing all sides of an issue, and trying to find what works best, or you're not.

I don't really care who started it or for what you're seeking revenge.

Just do us a favor and have some honesty and own your position, and spare us the bull**** about your philosophical superiority if you're going to throw it all out the window at the next changing of the guard.

7 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I guarantee if the GOP could go back in time, they would filibuster Kagan and Sotomayor.  

Im not sure if the Dems will filibuster.  But I'm pretty certain the GOP will nuke it if they do. 

Donald ****ing Trump is President, so YES YES YES let's talk about a time machine.  You got one?

10 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

The Dems should absolutely filibuster the nomination and force the GOP to think about using the nuclear option on a SCOTUS pick. 

The real question is..would the GOP do that? Because it opens them up to being steamrolled if/when the D's get majority again. 

Come on man the Dems already said they will never allow the filibuster to effect them in the future. So the Republicans are going to get steamrolled when the Ds get the majority again.

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

And what I'm sick of seeing are people saying this when the other team is doing it, then doing it themselves when it becomes convenient for them.

You're either genuinely interested in compromise, genuinely interested in hearing all sides of an issue, and trying to find what works best, or you're not.

I had that lofty, magnanimous philosophy right up until Mitch McConnell announced the GOP strategy of obstructionism just days after Barack Obama was elected. 

So here's my philosophy going forward.  I hope the weakened Democratic Party does everything it can to **** up Donald Trump's 4 years.  Given the first two weeks of dip****'s administration, it looks like the patriotic thing to do for the future of this country as much as it is pay back. 

Then, in 2020, we'll call it even.

4 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Then, in 2020, we'll call it even.

If you own your opinion for what it is, then I don't really care. After all, if you're going to get worked up over opinions then you're in for a miserable existence.

It's when people don't own their opinions for what they are that I get on my horse. I do it from time to time, and when I get called on it I deserve it.

So if you own your opinion as vengeful, that the GOP is getting payback it deserves, and nothing more. That's fine.

Just don't give me a bunch of bull**** about the GOP not putting country first, being obstructionist, etc when they do it again. You've already demonstrated you don't actually care about any of that, so don't bother trying to fool us. Own it then too. I don't want to hear "we were even, then you did it again". Not going to buy it.

Like I said earlier - you're not wrong for feeling that way. Just own it.

edit: not that I think you seek my approval of your opinions, just conversing with you :)

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I don't want obstructionism to Trump.

I want RESISTANCE to Trump.

For the 19th time, a white nationalist is the most powerful man in the country, if not the world. These are not normal times.

The United States can survive Bannon I'm not as sure that it can survive the "RESISTANCE."

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I don't want obstructionism to Trump.

I want RESISTANCE to Trump.

For the 19th time, a white nationalist is the most powerful man in the country, if not the world. These are not normal times.

I'm not criticizing you. You own it. I'm not even criticizing Dan T, he owns it too.

My liberal, militant feminism friend sent me this earlier today:

if the dems are the face of the resistance we are completely ****ed

he's depending more on the ACLU.

Kilmer has correctly pointed out some of these dems you need are up for reelection soon... it'll be interesting to see if they put their job first, their party first, or their country first. It's entirely possible their move will fit more than one of those agendas.

Archived