Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox Business: Trump Tips Dow to 20K

btfoom

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/01/25/president-trumps-early-policy-follow-through-propels-dow-to-20k.html

After a brief hiatus, the Dow Jones Industrial Average resumed its march toward 20000, crossing the elusive milestone on Wednesday as President Donald Trump demonstrates his seriousness about fulfilling campaign promises of lower taxes, less regulation, and more fiscal spending.  

The blue-chip index’s march to the psychologically-significant level has captivated Wall Street since Trump’s surprise election in November, and comes just 64 days after crossing the 19000 threshold for the first time ever.

The Dow flirted with the milestone for weeks, and came within a fraction of a point of 20K on January 6, stalling as investors awaited more concrete evidence the president would follow through on the issues he championed on the campaign trail.

At 20000, the index is up 1,668 points since Election Day. <rest at link, emphasis mine>

This has been GREAT news for my 401k.  It has taken a nice turn upward in the last couple months, so that makes me happy. 

8 minutes ago, clietas said:

Same here. Call me crazy but I do enjoy clean air, water, and food...

15 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Mine has been jumping as well.  There's certainly money to be made in the environment Trump is creating, but at what cost?  While I enjoy making money, I'd like my drinking water to remain clean.

How do you feel about a free press?

I essentially said this in another thread, but if you cut taxes (which Trump is saying he's going to do) and ramp up spending (even if it is primarily military spending), which Trump essentially says he's going to do.

The economy (and the deficit) is going to grow (at least in the short term).  That's basic Keynesian economics and that's what Wall Street is betting on.  The only question is where, when, and for how much (when does it crash).

The stock market is always a good bet.  Even in the context of the housing bubble, banks, home builders, and things like that all saw their stocks go up.  Same thing with the commodities bubble.  Owning gold or oil was better, but we own stock in a mining thing and its value sky rocketed during the commodity bubble.

The questions are, is there going to be a bubble (is one thing going to go up or will the growth be spread more evenly), if there is one, what is it going to be, and how long is the system going to go up before it comes down (when does the deficit spending have a negative effect).

You might not see the most direct affect in the stock market, but you are almost certain to see some side benefit no matter where the growth is if you are invested broadly in the stock market.

(Just remember to balance those investment portfolios.)

Right after Trump won, the "consumer confidence index" hit some historic high and neo-con WMAL was going on and on about how it was soaring bc of americans belief in Trump blah blah blah ..... I looked up how the consumer index is determined and found that much of the historic consumer index info to reach the historic high was from right before the election when everyone thought Hillary would win. 

(whispers but the CCI has continued to climb in Dec ... it appears to have been climbing at a rapid rate since 2013)

As I wrote about a few weeks ago, Trump may (it's quite possible) generate results that benefit many people. If the economy really starts humming, is doing so six months from now and continues, a lot of things will be better for a lot of people and Trump will get just due from those people. My hope will be that any people hurt by his moves, or other costs to our society writ large, don't far exceed hoped-for economic gains in overall consequence.

With every leader and their policies, no matter the divisions in the population over them, some profit and others lose, economically and in other ways. But the details sure matter. And any bottom line on  "gains" coming out of the next four years are far from assured. The proposed tax and regulation adjustments should make those stock market/corporate/wall street/high income folks very happy, at least.

We all will hope trickle down will work this time, if that's where were headed, and end that stupid (and falsely attributed to Einstein by EVERYBODY) saying that the "definition" of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

On the surface of things as they stand, from economically to socially, I am concerned that serious setbacks are more likely. Just as much financial repair was put on the taxpayers after GB2/Rummy/Cheney emptied the coffers for their pals and we spent 8 years recovering form it, now it looks like the GOP is all "let's do it again."  I can easily see us ending up weaker overall, at home and on the world stage post djt, but it's early, and anything is still possible. Like many basically anti-trump people, I would be much more hopeful if he wouldn't regularly display such crippled intellectual, emotional, and personal development in so many forms. 

I hate this headline and I really beginning to hate the media.  This is not Trumps rally this is Obama's rally.  It is based on the earning report in 2016.  We were heading to 20000 before Trump surprise victory.  Now Trumps wants to take a bow. The market is reacting to promises of lower corporate taxes, and de-regulations.  That is great for business, the average American not so much.  The ironic thing is Trump is the biggest threat to this rally.  His battle over trade can hurt us bad especially with inflation and Yellen increasing interest rates.  Repealing Obamacare will have a huge impact and can really hurt as one sector of the economy takes down the others.  All these promises are good for his supporters but when you apply the macro and micro economics with the fact The GoP is in charge, things can go left very fast.

the only thing sillier than using the stock market to make declarations about the economy is trying to derive meaning out of the movements of the market over an incredibly short periods of time

trump hasn't even done anything yet people are talking about the market's movements since election day

:rolleyes:

401k talk :rofl89:

1 hour ago, boobiemiles said:

I really beginning to hate the media. 

Yup. Irresponsible. Dishonest. Lazy. Motivated by click-bait headlines.

They suck. The people that defend them suck. Few outlets have a reputation worth anything these days.

to paraphrase buffet, be fearful when people are crazy about the market, be brave when people are running from the market

Cyncial me knows this is where the cronies gear up for the signal for the sell off and leave suckers holding the bag. When the market bottoms out, they buy back in and ride it up until the next signal. 

The rally seems to be purely DOW, and not S&P. That being said, the market already looks overvalued to me. DOW has increased 26% YOY, and the S&P 22%. The price/earnings ratio of both the S&P and DOW are well above what they were during the 2007 crash. We're already in the longest bull market in history, and the growth of the two larger indexes has outpaced corporate profits noticeably. From my perspective, near 0% interest rates has propped up corporate earnings (Microsoft especially has used massive share buybacks to buoy it's stock price).

I have about 30k I'd like to invest, but I'm not sure where I'd like to do it. After such a long bull market, and with Trump's instability now front and center, I really don't feel comfortable putting it anywhere at the moment.

The startup I work for just got bought out and all my options were liquidated and now I have this money that I want to invest but it sure as hell isn't going into stocks right now....I'm gonna wait it out a little longer and see what happens. Might just dump it into a 6 month CD and then reassess...

Archived