Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mike Jones on 106.7 throwing out some nuggets.  I know some doubt him as a source but I always found him mostly credible with an exception or two.  But who knows?

Scot wanted to resign Kirk in the middle of the 2015 season and then in 2016.  Bruce and Danny said no.

Bruce and Danny have some lingering resentment to Shanny and the whole RG3/Kirk drill.   Some in the building tell him that its tough for Bruce/Danny to get over that and giving Kirk a big contract vindicates Shanny

Bruce blamed leaks relating to Kirk on Scot.  Jones said the building has had leaks before Scot got there and still does -- and he knows some of the blame for leaks at Scot is unfair and pointed in the wrong direction 

Kirk's people give credit to Jay and Scot for him becoming a starter.  Kirk likes Scot but Kirk thinks Scot believes he has a ceiling that's smaller than what Jay thinks the ceiling is -- so Kirk felt compelled to prove something to him.  

Seriously if we loose KC and it comes out that this is how it truly when down I am done with this team.  Period.

22 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

For what it's worth - and I am not sure how much - Adam Shefter on Mike and Mike said that when talking to the Redskins, several teams have inquired about Kirk and all were told no. He also said the team - Bruce Allen specifically, said Kirk Cousins is not available for a trade. I am not a huge fan of Adam but he did say this on national TV not a twitter and not some internet article. It is also consistent with what has been said in the public.

This would also align with the story that Snyder doesn't want Cousins to go to the 49ers to spite the Shanahans.  

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You are extrapolating quite a bit.  Scot was the same guy who admitted to Jason Cole that if Kirk goes out there and does it again, he'd have to overpay Kirk and give him a big contract and he was fine with that.

If people want to question Mike Jones as a source, that's cool.  But if you use him as a source on this subject he was billboard level clear that Bruce and Dan not Scot were the obstacles to getting Kirk signed to a LTD.  And cited that as one of the key sources of tensions between Scot and Bruce.  

Listen wasn't Scot the same guy what went to Danny and convinced him that KC's should be the starter in 2015?  It happened.  He also was the one after the 2015 season when Cousin's camp was looking to cash in on one decent year, down the stretch I might add, and stated something along the lines that he would not "break the bank" for one player.    Cousin's camp was looking for too much.  Cousin's has still not earned a massive deal with his 2016 performance especially down the stretch.    If he had a strong showing down the stretch I would be all over the Cousin's bandwagon and this discussion does not happen.  He is signed to a mega deal.

When I read your quote up there on Jone's I am not extrapolating anything but going with the words you typed on the page. My only assumption, if that is what it is, remains that while SM sees/saw Cousin's as a long term QB in Washington he certainly did not/does not think it amounts to a contract that says- "I can carry the team on my back Rodgers/Brady style" sort of contract BUT that is the sort of contract Cousin's camp is looking for.      

I already know we are going to overpay for Cousin's.  He is not going anywhere.  He is going to get a deal IMO that he has certainly not earned but many NFL QB's do.  And then we got to hope he has reasonable targets to throw 4,000 yards at and hopefully clean up his RZ issues.  I just do not see Cousin's as the guy who wins the big one's.  I think he gets very nervous and jittery. 

I swear us Redskins fans are so battered we will overpay.  Look at the Patriot's.  They never do.  They get the most out of every player on their roster but then they have Tom Brady.  And Cousin's does not have the intestinal fortitude to be a Tom Brady or any other elite QB but he will be paid like one.   Ahhh it is my opinion and I know it is not popular on here but it is how I see him.  

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

This would also align with the story that Snyder doesn't want Cousins to go to the 49ers to spite the Shanahans.  

Not really. He did not say that the 49ers were turned down. He said all teams asking were turned down. If you want to make that leap that's fine. But that is not what was said at all. Not saying it's not true. But it's not what was stated by Shefter.

10 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Seriously if we loose KC and it comes out that this is how it truly when down I am done with this team.  Period.

Mike Jones is as trusted as any reporter can be with un-named sources. 

Bruce/ Dan (if true) have really screwed the pouch on this one. Makes sense, it explains why the Skins only offered Kirk 16 with little guaranteed, Bruce/Dan didnt want to resign him. 

If we could of had Kirk signed long term for 20 M last year ...... but Bruce/Dan said no when Scot/Jay wanted to .... wow. 

I hate Bruce. 

28 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

This was indeed the easiest offseason.  This offseason was going to be so easy, a baby could do it.  

You had your QB who said he wanted to be back here.  Your offense was set, you just needed to keep the pieces in tact, save one. You had a boat load of cap room, more than you have had in quite possibly a decade, to bring in the key couple of defensive players you need.  You had 10 picks that you could also use to pick up a couple more starters and fill out the depth of the team.  You had more resources than you have EVER had.  This offseason was supposed to be the easy one.  And then Redskins.

If they manage to mess this up, after having success HANDED TO THEM on a silver platter, sitting right in front of them like a ripe fruit to be plucked, if they would only check their ego a little, at the door, then there is no hope for there ever being a future.  I have a son, a daughter, and a wife with whom I can spend my time, and if I instead chose to spend it on what I KNOW will be a complete waste of it, then shame on me.  If this all goes down, then I will forever hate Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder with a passion reserved for very few, for destroying one of my all-time favorite things in this world.

Right! All they had to do was keep the offense intact, which just meant signing Kirk long-term and bringing back at least 1 of Garcon or Jackson. Then, go hard on defense in FA and the draft.

As we stand today, Jackson and Garcon are gone (or just about gone) and we have no idea what is going on with Kirk. And who the hell knows what is going on with FA and the draft at this point. Such a mess.

You are extrapolating quite a bit.  Scot was the same guy who admitted to Jason Cole that if Kirk goes out there and does it again, he'd have to overpay Kirk and give him a big contract and he was fine with that.

If people want to question Mike Jones as a source, that's cool.  But if you use him as a source on this subject he was billboard level clear that Bruce and Dan not Scot were the obstacles to getting Kirk signed to a LTD.  And cited that as one of the key sources of tensions between Scot and Bruce.  

on another note:

Source tells me Kirk Cousins' camp offered the #Redskins a "3-year deal last February worth $19.5M a year w/ significant guarantees

Wow .... speechless, if true.

Just ..... where are those "I cant" memes ...  

36 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

This was indeed the easiest offseason.  This offseason was going to be so easy, a baby could do it.  

You had your QB who said he wanted to be back here.  Your offense was set, you just needed to keep the pieces in tact, save one. You had a boat load of cap room, more than you have had in quite possibly a decade, to bring in the key couple of defensive players you need.  You had 10 picks that you could also use to pick up a couple more starters and fill out the depth of the team.  You had more resources than you have EVER had.  This offseason was supposed to be the easy one.  And then Redskins.

If they manage to mess this up, after having success HANDED TO THEM on a silver platter, sitting right in front of them like a ripe fruit to be plucked, if they would only check their ego a little, at the door, then there is no hope for there ever being a future.  I have a son, a daughter, and a wife with whom I can spend my time, and if I instead chose to spend it on what I KNOW will be a complete waste of it, then shame on me.  If this all goes down, then I will forever hate Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder with a passion reserved for very few, for destroying one of my all-time favorite things in this world.

this is exactly what i've been saying, we had it set up so perfectly for 2017 to be a year we actually look to compete, nothing terrible was on the books, and i had already talked myself into it being an ok thing that we missed the playoffs, because we got slightly better draft position and we all knew we weren't going anywhere deep in the playoffs with that defense

the funny thing is that our offense could have actually been better in 2017 by getting one dynamic running back and keeping one of the two receivers we had as you mentioned

on defense, we had the cap room to bring in a couple stud players and the draft picks to hopefully get at least one stud and some solid rotational guys

i haven't really conceded everything, but the reports are troubling

i still hold out faith that something good will happen, kirk will resign, and we get a couple of other miracles dropped into our lap (like Josh Norman) after everyone else has spent all their money

1 minute ago, I Love The Skins said:

I'm not so sure how believable that story.

The vanilla ice cream left on Mike Nolan's desk, the fact that Griffin's 5th year option was picked up, the whole undermining of Jim Zorn, among others would make it easy to believe for me.  Not saying it's true, just that it's not too farfetched.  

8 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The vanilla ice cream left on Mike Nolan's desk, the fact that Griffin's 5th year option was picked up, the whole undermining of Jim Zorn, among others would make it easy to believe for me.  Not saying it's true, just that it's not too farfetched.  

The Vanilla ice cream story is 100% true.

Just now, HOF44 said:

The Vanilla ice cream story is 100% true, but it was left in front of his door not on his desk.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/daniel-snyder-washington-redskins-owner-still-struggles-to-find-formula-for-success/2014/01/04/5d86bfa4-74a4-11e3-bc6b-712d770c3715_story.html

That story says desk.  But I guess it really doesn't matter the location.  It still shows Dan's pettiness. 

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

http://deadspin.com/dan-snyders-dickhead-behavior-is-a-complex-thing-1494990621

First was desk followed by 5 gallon containers outside the door.

Mike Jones on 106.7 throwing out some nuggets.  I know some doubt him as a source but I always found him mostly credible with an exception or two.  But who knows?

Scot wanted to resign Kirk in the middle of the 2015 season and then in 2016.  Bruce and Danny said no.

Bruce and Danny have some lingering resentment to Shanny and the whole RG3/Kirk drill.   Some in the building tell him that its tough for Bruce/Danny to get over that and giving Kirk a big contract vindicates Shanny

Bruce blamed leaks relating to Kirk on Scot.  Jones said the building has had leaks before Scot got there and still does -- and he knows some of the blame for leaks at Scot is unfair and pointed in the wrong direction 

Kirk's people give credit to Jay and Scot for him becoming a starter.  Kirk likes Scot but Kirk thinks Scot believes he has a ceiling that's smaller than what Jay thinks the ceiling is -- so Kirk felt compelled to prove something to him.  

I am still pinning my hopes on McCartney's positive statements right after Kirk go tagged but things may have fallen apart.  We all invested so much hope in Scot and now he looks like Redskin roadkill, although this may not be on the Redskins if Scot's personal problems have resurfaced.

5 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I am still pinning my hopes on McCartney's positive statements right after Kirk go tagged but things may have fallen apart.  We all invested so much hope in Scot and now he looks like Redskin roadkill, although this may not be on the Redskins if Scot's personal problems have resurfaced.

Me, too.  Oddly enough I think the sea of stuff out there relating to Bruce-Scot might help.    Bruce can't be that dense that he doesn't realize that not signing Kirk at this point has escalated from being a problem to be being an epic PR catastrophe. 

Can someone answer a question for me? I'm sure it's been addressed in here but I can't find a clear answer & don't have time to dig through all these posts.

If Kirk plays under the Franchise Tag this year, and we choose to use the Transition Tag next off-season, the way I understand it is that he'd be able to field offers from other teams. The Redskins would then be able to match the best offer he gets. What I'm not sure about is if we DO match it, is he obligated to sign with us? Or is he free to say "Thanks, but no thanks, I'll take that offer from the other team."

Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, chrisxcore said:

Can someone answer a question for me? I'm sure it's been addressed in here but I can't find a clear answer & don't have time to dig through all these posts.

If Kirk plays under the Franchise Tag this year, and we choose to use the Transition Tag next off-season, the way I understand it is that he'd be able to field offers from other teams. The Redskins would then be able to match the best offer he gets. What I'm not sure about is if we DO match it, is he obligated to sign with us? Or is he free to say "Thanks, but no thanks, I'll take that offer from the other team."

Thanks in advance!

I believe he would have to sign with us. The problem is that the Transition Tag would be $28.5M, I believe. So unless some other team would pay Kirk really well, why wouldn't he just take the $28.5M the Skins were offering? And would the Skins take that chance of him taking that $28.5M and be stuck giving that much when they don't even want to do $24M now?

7 minutes ago, SlkyCaramel said:

At this point the 9ers arent offering fair return .... if we offered Kirk 24 per, will that get this done? 

edit - do we know what the 9ers have/would offer? I saw something about 2nd and 5th this year and 1st next year .... I guess Id take that in a heart beat if offered. 

Archived