Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

17 minutes ago, wit33 said:

It sucks, but more responsibility has and will continue to grow for Kirk, especially if gets rewarded with a LTD. Just as many have discussed about the market setting his price, the NFL sets the bar high for top paid QBs.

Cant have it all man. 

Not fully directed at you. 

I agree you can't have it all with that being said. What does this team currently have?

I mean every team has holes, but we've got some many it's not even funny.

This team has proven it can't sign the right players and can't draft worth a crap either.

The 49ers have had more bad years than 4 years recently. Most of the 2000's they sucked right along with us. I don't think anyone here is trying to disrespect the 49ers, they have obviously had much more success than we have. What is getting frustrating is the narrative by many of our own fans that the 49ers are a much better team than us before the season has even started.  Explain why they are starting from scratch from GM to players if that is the case? Also, despite Kirk Cousins, Bruce Allen, Scott MC, the national media and an exclusive franchise tender agreement all pointing to KC staying in D.C, our fans are still coming up with ways that the 49ers will have Cousins.

you don't earn the #2 pick by being good.

They have a massive rebuild ahead of them. They seem to want to do much of it to jumpstart it with free agents now.

We've seen how that works out.

How much money do they owe ex coaches now? 

Their latest "plan" is what.. four months old?

Stability over pie in the sky.

~Bang

There are a lot of bad teams in the NFL. Problem is when the Skins are bad and that's most of the time.

The Skins are a **** show and everyone in the media world is talking about it.

Disfunction is the Washington Redskins middle name.

I would just like to see a organization work at getting better year after year.

Not this one 

We baby QBS

Run out winning coaches 

Overpay aging free agents.

Trade picks/blow picks

I mean the list goes on.

It's just sickening all of the stuff that's gone on the last month.

Nothing has changed and nothing will with this owner.

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

At this rate I will be going back to my original wild guess.

Cousins to SF

Romo to the Chiefs

Smith to us 

Nope 

The organization believes Colt McCoy is our man. 

Lol

I was wondering if KC plays on the tag again this year can't we tag him non exclusive next, giving us the right to match any offer or get compensation.

How does that whole deal play out and if we push it into next year do we actually gain leverage if Kirk wants to leave.

Just now, TheBlueIndian said:

I was wondering if KC plays on the tag again this year can't we tag him non exclusive next, giving us the right to match any offer or get compensation.

How does that whole deal play out and if we push it into next year do we actually gain leverage if Kirk wants to leave.

Yup. If we slap the non exclusive tag, we can match any offers next season. 

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I don't even think it's our choice anymore.

It's totally our choice. Either he signs a Ltd, or he plays on the tag and then we give him the non exclusive tag which allows us to match any deals. It's literally completely in our court

2 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

It's totally our choice. Either he signs a Ltd, or he plays on the tag and then we give him the non exclusive tag which allows us to match any deals. It's literally completely in our court

it's the transition tag we'd have to give, and then Kirk could just say, "ok, thanks, i'll take 28 million this year" and not seek any long term deal from anywhere else

Tandler is basing this all off the Wyche tweet I posted earlier, then decides to take it further by saying we are "preparing" for possible departure. :rolleyes:

On NFL Network, NFL Media reporter Sam Wyche talked about what he was told by some who work at Redskins Park. “Everything I’m hearing from the folks in that building is that "Cousins has made it clear he does not want to be there,” said Wyche. “He wants to get to San Francisco and play for Kyle Shanahan."

Wyche also reported that the Redskins are going to focus on bolstering their defense in free agency and in the draft. They want to have a team that can win with defense, its solid offensive line, and a good running game regardless of whether Cousins is behind center or not.

The team’s options with their quarterback are limited. They can make Cousins stay and play under the franchise tag in 2017 but since to tag him for the third time would be prohibitively expensive they likely would lose him for no compensation.

Cousins wanting out of Washington is something that has been making the rounds. What seems to be new here is the notion that the Redskins are now seeing that as cold, hard reality and they are preparing for his departure, whether it is this year or next.

37 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

And pay $35 million next year?  

What you are probably thinking of is the Transition Tag at $28 million which gives the Redskins first rights.  That won't work either because the Redskins will have to out fox the 49ers by setting aside a huge amount of cap just to be able to match.  

For instance...say the 49ers offer $125 million over 5 years with $80 guaranteed.  Which looks reasonable except they can spell put the terms as $35 million first year salary then have each subsequent year lower to match total.  The Redskins will then have to set aside at least $40 million dollars in cap space for next year to cover Cousins and the draft picks with zero left for resigning any of our other players and let alone to be able to go after other FA next year.  That would mean the Redskins can't do much shopping this year because they need to save it to match Cousins contract offer next year.  This basically sends the message to the Redskins that you either have to franchise tag Cousins again at $35 million or go the transition tag route and still have to pay out $35 million.

comprehende?

Before you question that strategy....look what they just did with Garcon.  $16 million first year....which appears way over price but the next two years the price drop significantly.  I find all the 49er moves so far facinating because they are giving out their message without saying what it is...

The 49ers with over $100 million in cap space can set aside enough to prevent the Redskins from matching by just using half their space this year and still build a great team.   Redskins have absolutely no leverage...none...

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The only thing Dan has done right, and it's out of spite. :ols:

That is why the Redskins fans are screwed.  Snyder will act out of spite instead of doing what is best for the team.  He has 20 plus years history to prove that ...

7 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

The 49ers with over $100 million in cap space can set aside enough to prevent the Redskins from matching by just using half their space this year and still build a great team.   Redskins have absolutely no leverage...none...

If they know they aren't going to be able to keep if after next year, and Kirk & SF are rubbing it in our faces, why not trade him to the team with the worst oline in the NFL for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  Let Kirk (assuming he is being a d***) get crushed all year.

http://www.knbr.com/2017/03/08/source-dan-snyder-an-obstacle-in-potential-kirk-cousins-49ers-trade/

A trade for Kirk Cousins has many stipulations attached to it that make it a difficult deal to execute.

One of those extenuating circumstances is Redskins owner Dan Snyder.

Sources tell KNBR.com that Snyder is holding onto bad blood he and current 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan crafted years ago. Snyder fired Shanahan and his father Mike after a 3-13 campaign in 2013 that played out in the public eye through media leaks. Snyder does not want to help Shanahan succeed at the NFL level.

This factor, coupled with draft pick compensation, GM Scot McCloughan’s absence and Cousins’ refusal to sign his franchise tag offer all are reasons why a deal has not been struck.

A source indicated Snyder has long had “a weird” relationship with Cousins. After making his first start — and winning a big game at Cleveland — for an injured Robert Griffin III in 2012, Snyder refused to shake his hand or acknowledge him in the locker room. Snyder has sense changed his tune, but there has been lingering awkwardness after Griffin burned out just as the Shanahan’s told him he would.

The irony of Snyder standing in the way of a trade is that Cousins is expected to leave for San Francisco via free agency in 2018.

3 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

If they know they aren't going to be able to keep if after next year, and Kirk & SF are rubbing it in our faces, why not trade him to the team with the worst oline in the NFL for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  Let Kirk (assuming he is being a d***) get crushed all year.

Do you know of any team stupid enough to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick plus pay $24 million for a one year quarterback rental that has one foot out the door?

2 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

It definitely looks like they are laying the foundation for Kirk to come on over but counting on a player to hit free agency seems risky for the team waiting.  

It probably would be stupid to transition him but it would also be stupid to let him play on the tag and then give him away for free next year.

The team already said they WILL transition him next year if he doesnt sign a long term deal. So that is coming. Kirk could make it hard by sitting out until the end of camp if he wanted to. But if the Redskins really want Kirk, and to me it looks like they do, then most likely he isnt going anywhere. There is no chance he sits out the year and loses 24 million. If we transition him next year he will get the opportunity to see what his market value is. Then we just match it. 

Archived