Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

34 minutes ago, AZDave said:

Here’s what we are all missing. KC has not signed his offer, this in fact is holding up what the team can do.  If he wants to move on, work out a deal, if not sign the tender and concentrate on a LTD. Holding the team for ransom is a greedy move and this has nothing to with the front office. The, I just want to be wanted excuse is a crock. Gruden stood on a table for him and it was reported that SM even went to bat for him. So what is the real deal? Let’s get on with the offseason, I am waiting for a shiny new toy.

Washington has ~$34M in cap space. 

The franchise tag is ~$24M. 

The ~$10M may not seem like much, but it's still more than Philly, Dallas and KC, who have all been fairly active in this 'rumor' time of free agency. 

Let's not forget that Washington put the tag on Kirk, so essentially they are planning to allocate ~$24M of their cap space to him, so I don't see how Kirk is holding up what the team can do. 

1 minute ago, XtremeFan55 said:

2nd domino to fall....  Garcon and now Hoyer.  Watch for Alshon Jeffries next.

Yeah JLC suggested SF would go after Jeffery, too.  People have been saying where are SF's weapons?  But if they have Garcon and Jeffrey coupled with Carlos Hyde at RB they are right there with Washington on that front - arguably even ahead of us.  Now they just need to build their O line.

6 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Both coaches will have his back.  Cousins has 3 HC out there that want him.  Gruden, Shanahan and McVey....   Cousins stood up for the Shanahans back in 2013.  There is loyalty both ways there

Standing up for the Shanahans didn't get him the starting job though. But, Gruden was the one who put his foot down and benched RG3 to start Kirk. Kirk is the one who now needs to stay and sign a LTD, if offered one, because of Gruden. Kirk will need to think about his job first before his family's comfort. That is all I am saying. 

If it becomes clear before the season that Kirk doesn't want to be here and is just getting this last year over with before heading to SF, I'm really curious how our fans will treat him throughout the season.  My guess is they give him a pass and blame it 100% of the FO.

EDIT:  Also...

Chad RyanVerified account @ChadwikoRCC 1m1 minute ago

RCC stands by decision to pass on credible info regarding Cousins to 49ers. Aware of contrary reports, & respect them.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

If it becomes clear before the season that Kirk doesn't want to be here and is just getting this last year over with before heading to SF, I'm really curious how our fans will treat him throughout the season.  My guess is they give him a pass and blame it 100% of the FO.

You blame both parties involved. How can he say he wants to build something when he turns tail and goes with the red lobsters kid? And like many have stated before it was gruden and Scott who stood up for him!

Just now, kost203 said:

You blame both parties involved. How can he say he wants to build something when he turns tail and goes with the red lobsters kid? And like many have stated before it was gruden and Scott who stood up for him!

Yea, for me personally, I would show him no love.  If no LTD gets done, I really hope our fans don't cave in to whatever spin his agent puts out.  No reason to make this season less awkward for him than it should be.

16 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Hopefully Hoyer news will somehow assist in resigning Kirk. 

It already appears the most important person in the organization (in my opinion) is on his way out. The only guy with experience in building a consistent winner. 

Well, this decreases or eliminates any shot to trade him this year. If anything, this should make the Redskins more aggressive in their negotiation with Cousins. They better be prepared to bump up that guaranteed money and lock him down. They have to avoid allowing him to play on the one-year tag deal. 

15 minutes ago, zskins said:

Standing up for the Shanahans didn't get him the starting job though. But, Gruden was the one who put his foot down and benched RG3 to start Kirk. Kirk is the one who now needs to stay and sign a LTD, if offered one, because of Gruden. Kirk will need to think about his job first before his family's comfort. That is all I am saying. 

If you had a boss that gave you a promotion but then you got an opportunity to go work somewhere else that had more security, better pay, and in a beautiful city....would you stay at the current  job out of loyalty to the person who have you the promotion?  NO!   No one would.  There is nothing personal in this.  It is all business.  Nobody OWES anybody anything.

BTW.  The Shanahans did try to give him the job in late 2013...Cousins finished the season...but they both got fired for undermining Snyder.

2 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

I am also reading that the 49ers might go after one of the Redskin targets...Jonathan Hankins DT from Giants.  

They have ~$96M in cap space and have to build almost an entire team. If the players are good naturally many teams will target them. 

Chad RyanVerified account @ChadwikoRCC 2m2 minutes ago

Chad Ryan Retweeted Dwayne Wayne III

We/I genuinely don't care about that. We aren't a 'breaking news' platform generally. We received credible info, passed it on. All good

Dwayne Wayne III @_92Infinity

@ChadwikoRCC As you should. Im not gonna knock you for trying to get the news first.

9 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Washington has ~$34M in cap space. 

The franchise tag is ~$24M. 

The ~$10M may not seem like much, but it's still more than Philly, Dallas and KC, who have all been fairly active in this 'rumor' time of free agency. 

Let's not forget that Washington put the tag on Kirk, so essentially they are planning to allocate ~$24M of their cap space to him, so I don't see how Kirk is holding up what the team can do. 

I agree with your premise but you have a problem with the math. The $34M is after Kirk's contract. If you look at overthecap.com the have already included Kirk in the calculations. So they have $34M even after Kirk's contract. They can also get another $9M by releasing D Hall and S Lauvauo - which needs to happen. Let them both go.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-redskins

Not saying you @Unbias  But people really need to stop stressing over Kirk not signing the tender. He will sign it eventually. But there is no hurry, especially if they are working on a LTD. The only reason for him not to sign it at all is if he plans to sit out. He would then be leaving $24M on the table.

Also, for the 10th time I believe - only 1 one franchised player has signed their tender. One got signed to a LTD. There is no reason to rush.

Just now, goskins10 said:

I agree with your premise but you have a problem with the math. The $34M is after Kirk's contract. If you look at overthecap.com the have already included Kirk in the calculations. So they have $34M even after Kirk's contract. They can also get another $9M by releasing D Hall and S Lauvauo - which needs to happen. Let them both go.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-redskins

Not saying you @Unbias  But people really need to stop stressing over Kirk not signing the tender. He will sign it eventually. But there is no hurry, especially if they are working on a LTD. The only reason for him not to sign it at all is if he plans to sit out. He would then be leaving $24M on the table.

Also, for the 10th time I believe - only 1 one franchised player has signed their tender. One got signed to a LTD. There is no reason to rush.

Thanks for catching the 'math miss'. IMO Kirk has nothing to do with how active Washington will choose to be in free agency. 

9 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

49ers just got Marquis Goodwin

Kyle gets his Aldrick Robinson type.     They have a ton of cap space, they can go wild in FA if they want to.   They can also do for Kirk what they did  for Garcon and that is give him a mega front loaded contract. 

7 minutes ago, zskins said:

No. Scot picked up RG3's dicey option got Kirk to start.  Either way, there has always been someone in the Redskins FO who went up to bat for Kirk despite him up until mid 2015 giving no reason to. I don't know who's got the loudest voice in Kirk's ear but either he just wants to play in SF in which case he should have said he wasn't going to sign another tag and thus wants to test free agency and therefor being a little more respectful to the team that drafted and allowed him to become the player he is or he doesn't want to be here in which case he should have done the same. Again, this is the kind of poor judgement I would expect from a WR or a CB or any other position, but to get it from your QB, your "leader" is completely unacceptable. 

2 minutes ago, Unbias said:

They have ~$96M in cap space and have to build almost an entire team. If the players are good naturally many teams will target them. 

I believe its over $100 million after Kaepernick, Bethea, and Torrey Smith being let go.   Also....the cap hits are prorated over duration of contract length.   They can sign a whole lot of FA with that much money.

I even read that Kevin Zeitler might be a target to upgrade the LG position.  Replacing one 'Z' with another...Zeitler for Zane Beadles.....

8 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

If you had a boss that gave you a promotion but then you got an opportunity to go work somewhere else that had more security, better pay, and in a beautiful city....would you stay at the current  job out of loyalty to the person who have you the promotion?  NO!   No one would.  There is nothing personal in this.  It is all business.  Nobody OWES anybody anything.

Well then I really don't want him here if that's how he would look at it. If he has absolutely no loyalty to the team that drafted him and let him start then I have no loyalty to him. 

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Well then I really don't want him here if that's how he would look at it. If he has absolutely no loyalty to the team that drafted him and let him start then I have no loyalty to him. 

That is the emotional reaction that most fans will probably have.....the feeling of being jilted....

1 minute ago, XtremeFan55 said:

I believe its over $100 million after Kaepernick, Bethea, and Torrey Smith being let go.   Also....the cap hits are prorated over duration of contract length.   They can sign a whole lot of FA with that much money.

I even read that Kevin Zeitler might be a target to upgrade the LG position.  Replacing one 'Z' with another...Zeitler for Zane Beadles.....

SF has a new coaching staff with little talent and a whole lot of cap space to acquire players. IMO they will sign a bunch of the big FAs that are being discussed because they almost have too. 

Archived