Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Washington Nationals: Wash, Rinse, Repeat

@DCGoldPants

IMO, Joe Girardi is NOT a good fit for manager.  I would much rather have Dave Martinez.  And there is no ****ing way John Farrell can be allowed to run this team.  Bryce will be gone if he is.  The players wanted him gone in Boston.

1 hour ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Watch us cheap out. They said division was not good enough. You need to back that up by showing you are serious about winning the WS.

You don't have to hire a WS winning manager to make a good hire.  Terry Francona had never won the WS before the Red Sox hired him. Joe Torre had never won a WS.  Joe Maddon had never won a WS.  They were good hires.

2 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Watch us cheap out. They said division was not good enough. You need to back that up by showing you are serious about winning the WS.

Well since the Lerners obviously don't believe in paying managers they better use that money on Harper.

Offer him a massive extension with opt outs.

They pay the players that's not the problem

The problem is them not paying for proper leadership for said players. That's almost as important as the players themselves. Martinez is a "stat mind" who is seen in favor with the sabermetric geeks so there isn't as much uproar as there was when Dusty was hired. 

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

I don't understand how you can pay players huge salaries but continue to lowball managers. If the Nats dont win the world series they know why. 

Can you correlate world series winners with manager salaries to support your claim? 

Most managers are "cheap" until they win a WS. Joe Girardi signed a 2 year/$7.5M deal with Yankees when he was first named manager ($2.5M/year). After winning a WS he was re-signed to a 4 year/$16M deal. 

Until Rosenthal or someone reliable reports it, it's nothing. 

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

Can you correlate world series winners with manager salaries to support your claim? 

Most managers are "cheap" until they win a WS. Joe Girardi signed a 2 year/$7.5M deal with Yankees when he was first named manager ($2.5M/year). After winning a WS he was re-signed to a 4 year/$16M deal. 

Don't make me do math.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Maybe Dave Martinez can be MLB's Steve Kerr and he comes in and just wins right away?

We're due something lucky like that aren't we?

He’s been interviewing for manager jobs for years and kept getting passed over. We’ll see I guess but I’m not holding my breath. 

You want a championship you go after Joe. Period. 

There is no disputing this. 

Martinez isn't bad at all though. I am more than willing to see what he has to offer. Of course, this franchise has hired bench coaches and assistant coaches before with little success. The most successful was Matt Williams, who flamed out in the postseason and later failed miserably as he lost the clubhouse. 

12 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

You want a championship you go after Joe. Period. 

There is no disputing this. 

Martinez isn't bad at all though. I am more than willing to see what he has to offer. Of course, this franchise has hired bench coaches and assistant coaches before with little success. The most successful was Matt Williams, who flamed out in the postseason and later failed miserably as he lost the clubhouse. 

There is disputing this. Just because you win a WS in one city doesn’t make you the best candidate in another city. Girardi has a hard time with big personalities. He had issues in the locker room with the Yankees. The Nats have Bryce Harper and, I’m assuming, wish to re-sign him at some point. I don’t think Girardi is the best option to coexist with Harper. And yes, you need to consider that when hiring a manager. 

I am more than a little convinced  Rizzo and Girardi butt heads. More than ever the Front Office and Manager need to be in lock-step with each other. GMs now are in the locker room more than ever.

And a side note, I love when fans declare absolutes like "there's no disputing this!" Of course there is, because we have no idea what's really going on. Especially with the Nats. They do give the media ****.

Archived