Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Scot McCloughan Our Theo Epstein?

LetThePointsSoar

So my best friend is a die hard Cubs fan, and he and we have talked about this topic at great lengths in the past.  Both came to troubled organizations with long championship droughts as well respected personnel men tasked with turning around a franchise.  I feel the similarities are many, and this morning I realized another that I thought was pretty uncommon.  

Follow my thoughts here...in 2015, the Cubs (Redskins) snuck into the playoffs as a Wild Card, and in the second round of the MLB Playoffs (NFL Divisional Round) they faced their much hated rivals, the St. Louis Cardinals (Dallass Cowpukes).  My buddy told me before that series, that THAT was his World Series, and could care less if the Cubs actually even won that year, because finishing the Cardinals postseason would feel as good that it didn't matter.  

The Cubs went on, of course, to beat the Cardinals, but then were swept by the Mets.  In the next season, they then broke the drought and won it all.

For me...if we can face the Cowboys and ruin this disgusting level of hype around them this season, it would absolutely be the closest thing to a Super Bowl I've ever experienced (I was only 13 when we last won in 1991 and just didn't appreciate it at that age).  That game, for ME, would be our Super Bowl this year.  Then, fix the defense in the offseason, and let's be ready to contend next year.

Just my $0.02 for discussion.

Hail.

1 minute ago, skinfan2k said:

Cant compare two sports where money plays a big role. He was in charge of two major franchises who have an unlimited budget for spending on players and both teams who have stacked farm systems. 

That's a very good point. 

4 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Cant compare two sports where money plays a big role. He was in charge of two major franchises who have an unlimited budget for spending on players and both teams who have stacked farm systems. 

Agreed.  Although if I'm not mistaken, and I might be because I don't follow baseball that much, but the Cubs' farm system wasn't nearly as good pre Theo as it is under Theo.  I think he did a lot to help there to improve it from what I understand.

And I know it's premature, considering we still have to take care of business Sunday + pray for no fluke tie....but....IF we face Dallas in the Divisional Round...that absolutely WILL be like a Super Bowl for me personally.

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

To be fair, he stocked the farm systems (they were pretty bad before) and then spent once they were ripe to produce players.

Maybe not a bad comparison. Scot stocks our roster with picks this coming draft and then spends in 2018.

4 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

One can argue he's the direct reason Seattle and San Francisco both made their Super Bowls.  I don't think the comparison is all that off in that regards. 

He's not a direct reason for either of those teams' success in years past.  Was he a part of it?  Absolutely.  But to claim that Scot was the direct reason is a bit ridiculous.  Seahawks have done just fine without him.  49ers, there downfall can be attributed to a number of things. 

8 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

One can argue he's the direct reason Seattle and San Francisco both made their Super Bowls.  I don't think the comparison is all that off in that regards. 

Come on guys. I know he's the new messiah and all but you're comparing him to the best GM in any sport in about 25 years. 

Stop it.

Just now, skinfan2k said:

He sold his soul. He sent a awesome young prospect to the Yanks in a trade for their closer. The closer is now a free agent and the Yanks will just sign him back so in essence he rented a closer. Guess it is worth it if you have not won anything in a 100 years.

10 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

He sold his soul. He sent a awesome young prospect to the Yanks in a trade for their closer. The closer is now a free agent and the Yanks will just sign him back so in essence he rented a closer. Guess it is worth it if you have not won anything in a 100 years.

That's right. The Bronx Bombers are coming for you...

just wait until they add Harper to all this young talent...

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

That's right. The Bronx Bombers are coming for you...

just wait until they add Harper to all this young talent...

Can't wait for them to grossly overpay for Harper.

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

He's got a way to go, but I kind of like the comparison. Some of you are working too hard in the opposite direction. Your efforts to throw shade on McCloughan's resume is almost as silly as those (are there any) who claim he can do no wrong.

Last season it was sort of the hipster position with some that Kirk is fool's gold.  This season Scot's the guy to some that's fools gold or at the least overrated. :)   The two main reasons why I am optimistic about the organization is Kirk and Scot.  Will see how things play out but I am feeling good about both.

As for Theo.  He's made mistakes, too.  Matsuzaka and his monster contract -- debacle.  Carl Crawford's contract -- debacle.  John Lackey, Julio Lugo and numerous others.  

Theo likes to throw stuff against the wall and not everything sticks, a number of signings didn't stick but the dude believes in building his organizations from within (by that I mean relative in baseball terms).  Though he's not afraid to spend big in FA.  He has a plan, is patient and sticks to it.   

Having said that I agree its apples to oranges.  In baseball you can build your team much easier via FA, money and trades.  Not the case in football.   I don't see how you can do a tit for tat comparison with any baseball GM and football GM.  Epstein at the moment is considered the top GM in the league.  Judging by polls that pop up now and then, Scot is in the top 10 according to many NFL observers but most seem to think Scot's pal, John Schneider is the best.  I don't think Schneider is as accomplished as Epstein -- maybe if Seattle won a couple more Superbowls.  I think for the cap reason alone its tougher to maintain a winner in football than it is in baseball.

http://thesixthirty.com/news/just-remember-even-theo-epstein-is-human/

When Theo Epstein and the Cubs signed free agent Edwin Jackson to a 4-year, $52 million deal in January of 2013, I don’t think he planned on cutting him less than three years later.

But that’s what happened late Sunday when the team designated Jackson for assignment, replacing him on the roster with veteran reliever Rafael Soriano.

If you’re unaware of what exactly being ‘DFA’d’ entails, there’s about a 95% chance Edwin Jackson won’t be back in a Cubs uniform. It’s likely he’ll sign with another team as a free agent unless Epstein somehow works out a trade to salvage a minimal return.

In hindsight, it’s rather fitting that Theo and Co.’s first free agency signing of financial significance became their first publicly acknowledged mistake to an otherwise giddy Cubs fan base.

Epstein and GM Jed Hoyer would be the first to tell you they’re not perfect – regardless of how many Cubs fans blindly label them as such. Which is understandable, considering the organization – especially in the baseball operations department – was a **** show for as long as millennial fans like me can remember.

2 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

This thread should be on Monday Night Football's  "C'mon Man"

I'm pretty sure based on these responses either I did an awful job of conveying the point, or you guys never read past the thread title. 

Again, the coincidences to the Cubs 2015 season is pretty remarkable.  And if we beat the Cowboys to advance to the NFC Championship Game, you can't say their tenures don't mirror each other. 

Or then again... we can just go back to bashing each other's fandom for who did and didn't cheer for the Cowboys last night.  Lol...We're going to the playoffs for the 2nd year straight and it's an off day today, why not throw out the thought to have fun with it. 

Archived