Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Scot McCloughan Our Theo Epstein?

LetThePointsSoar

4 hours ago, DM72 said:

Can't wait for them to grossly overpay for Harper.

Can't put a price tag on rings 

38 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Even the Yankees want bang for their buck. 

They'll have low cost younger players and - few  big contracts by then. 

if they think he puts them over the top, they'll be getting the bang they want for their buck

8 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

So my best friend is a die hard Cubs fan, and he and we have talked about this topic at great lengths in the past.  Both came to troubled organizations with long championship droughts as well respected personnel men tasked with turning around a franchise.  I feel the similarities are many, and this morning I realized another that I thought was pretty uncommon.  

Follow my thoughts here...in 2015, the Cubs (Redskins) snuck into the playoffs as a Wild Card, and in the second round of the MLB Playoffs (NFL Divisional Round) they faced their much hated rivals, the St. Louis Cardinals (Dallass Cowpukes).  My buddy told me before that series, that THAT was his World Series, and could care less if the Cubs actually even won that year, because finishing the Cardinals postseason would feel as good that it didn't matter.  

The Cubs went on, of course, to beat the Cardinals, but then were swept by the Mets.  In the next season, they then broke the drought and won it all.

For me...if we can face the Cowboys and ruin this disgusting level of hype around them this season, it would absolutely be the closest thing to a Super Bowl I've ever experienced (I was only 13 when we last won in 1991 and just didn't appreciate it at that age).  That game, for ME, would be our Super Bowl this year.  Then, fix the defense in the offseason, and let's be ready to contend next year.

Just my $0.02 for discussion.

Hail.

That's a real stretch....you're comparing a championship GM to someone who has a mediocre record as GM.....you're comparing a 108 year drought to a 25 year drought.....I'm insulted that you would compare us to the Cubs...seriously...We are a 3 time Super Bowl Champion!....Only 6 teams have won more Super Bowls than us.....to say we're the Cubs and the Cowboys are the Cardinals is not fair.

Please allow me to momentarily move the Goalposts.  First, an anecdote:

This guy I work with is a big Ravens fan.  On Monday, all he wanted to do was **** about the game they lost.  And since work was so slow, we literally talked about his game off-and-on the whole day.  At one point while discussing Offense, an interesting topic came up.  I told him that John Harbaugh should be able to give his elevator pitch about Ravens Football with regards to Offense, Defense, & Special Teams.  For those guys, putting together continuity on Offense is a problem.  He agreed with this elevator pitch concept.

And that's something that McCloughan has truly excelled at here.  From Day One he has been communicating to the fans, the press, & to The Team (from stuff I've read) what Redskins Football will be.  And he's consistently preached to us that we will get there, but we must be patient & allow The Team to develop properly.  

To me, this has been genius.  For as much as we may grumble or complain about some of the parts, we now know what to expect.  And it seems nearly unanimous among us that we're all pleased with The Program's trajectory.  Defining Redskins Football explicitly has been the best thing McCloughan's done, in my opinion.

*                                  *                                  *                            *

Also, qualifying for The Playoffs is crucial.  Resolving Kirk Cousins's status in The Off-Season is critical.  And stocking The Defense with Playmakers is priority 1A.  So yes, the GM has his hands full.  But he's already been successful in my eyes, because he's been instrumental in building A Winning Culture.

This season, The Washington Redskins have learned how to Win.  By this metric, the season has already been a success.  And I think Jay, The Staff, & The Players deserve a lot of credit for Winning ballgames this year.  Remember, as shaky as things have looked at times, these Redskins haven't been at or below .500 since Week 4 of this year.  While playing a 1st Place Schedule.  THAT'S HUGE.

But Scot himself deserves a standing ovation.  It is by his guiding hand that our Front Office has properly set a tone of expecting success from our Personnel.  For everyone in the building, there is a clear understanding that you are expected to produce here, or you wont be here for very long.  And I believe that tone, set by The Front Office & communicated by The Coaching Staff, motivates The Players to produce positive results on Sundays.

Isn't that how Winning Organizations behave?

*                                  *                                  *                            *

Okay.  I put 'em back where I found 'em.  But in just 2 years we've seen some amazing results from Scot McCloughan.  I don't know if he's our Theo Epstein (& I hate the Cubs), but I do know that he's the right man for our Team.  I'm glad he's here!

Archived