Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This makes me sick to say, but go Cowboys!

kgor93

23 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

In these situations, I always tell myself I'm rooting for the Lions to lose, not rooting for the cowboys to win.

I like it. Makes it almost bearable, if you don't look too closely at the other team.

Is there a reason Dallas wants to win other than 14-2? Seems like there's no real motivation. To play and stay game ready, sure, but no reason to go lots harder than a preseason game. The only thing I can think of is that winning nearly assures them they trade either the Lions or the Packers for the Skins in the playoffs. I bet most teams would rather play DC, but with a first-round bye and not much chance of seeing them, that's not much motivation either.

But they win and the Skins are in. (Yes, I'm assuming the Giants couldn't care less next week.) Go... um... FAIL LIONS!

We can all be @ssboys fans tomorrow night and cheer them on, but they can also give the ultimate F U to all of us by resting all of their starters.  Unfortunately, they know what's at stake for all of the teams involved, especially the Skins.  Here's hoping they give a damn by laying a whopping on the Lions.

I don't see the Cowboys resting starters this game.  The main reason being simply that I highly, highly doubt that the coaches would prep for a football game monday through thursday, with the players taking reps the days they are back at the facility, and then because of an outcome thursday night, scrap the whole thing.  Especially because of the holiday weekend which I would assume also cut down on prep time, even if slightly.  Also, resting starters two weeks early seems like your classic gear shifting death trap for a top seed that could affect their playoff performance.  Next week is the usual resting period for the playoffs, so I believe we are in the clear.  Also - by resting starters, that means they'd put Tony in, and if they did that, I'd assume they'd play even harder in that one off scenario for Tony.  Not to mention, throwing in McFadden for Elliott is not the largest dropoff in the world either.  That's not to say however they won't lay an egg, because it is a prime scenario for that. 

These situations have always been amusing to me on the board though, because I think I'm the only one that fits in the cross section of having a father who is an absolute diehard Cowboys fan, so I never root against them unless it directly affects us in scenarios that are actually important ( early season matchups, and thanksgiving this year for example). They are my 1A team if anything (along with the Raiders and Falcons due to siblings).  And you know, it's life, so mortality kicks in and makes that stupid team take precedent over mine sometimes so the dad can enjoy another SB.  Now my lurking and posting privileges will be revoked in 3, 2, 1... lol 

The other part of the Cowboys not resting their starters is how stale do you want to be going into the playoffs?  You don't. It is a balancing act.  You rest your starters week 15, 16, get a bye and expect to go into the playoffs with momentum, timing crisp between a QB and receiver?  That is not going to happen IMO.   My sense is they are coming out on all cylinders against the Lions and are going to play their starters the whole game and if they win they will probably play them at least 1/2 the game in week 16 just to keep them as fresh as possible going into the playoffs.    

4 hours ago, Taco Bell said:

These situations have always been amusing to me on the board though, because I think I'm the only one that fits in the cross section of having a father who is an absolute diehard Cowboys fan, so I never root against them unless it directly affects us in scenarios that are actually important ( early season matchups, and thanksgiving this year for example). They are my 1A team if anything (along with the Raiders and Falcons due to siblings).  

Come on, man. This is ridiculous.

People that refuse to root for rivals when it benefits the Redskins are stuck in a time warp. Of course as a Skins fan you're hoping for the Cowboys to dominate. It's not even a question. 

51 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

The other part of the Cowboys not resting their starters is how stale do you want to be going into the playoffs?  You don't. It is a balancing act.  You rest your starters week 15, 16, get a bye and expect to go into the playoffs with momentum, timing crisp between a QB and receiver?  That is not going to happen IMO.   My sense is they are coming out on all cylinders against the Lions and are going to play their starters the whole game and if they win they will probably play them at least 1/2 the game in week 16 just to keep them as fresh as possible going into the playoffs.    

Agreed. It's Prime time and at home. Resting your starters for about a month is not feasible. Week 17 is the time to do it for the Cowboys. 

I'm all in for a Dallas win. Doesn't really do much for them, but helps our path to the playoffs. I'll take that trade off.

Making the playoffs is important for the organisation. It's important for player development/experience is the case of the younger players, plus competing in the playoffs may be appealing to impending FA's we are looking to sign / re-sign. Fair enough, most want paid, but some do want to play for a contender, making the playoffs again demonstrates that to a degree.

5 hours ago, Taco Bell said:

These situations have always been amusing to me on the board though, because I think I'm the only one that fits in the cross section of having a father who is an absolute diehard Cowboys fan, so I never root against them unless it directly affects us in scenarios that are actually important ( early season matchups, and thanksgiving this year for example). They are my 1A team if anything (along with the Raiders and Falcons due to siblings).  And you know, it's life, so mortality kicks in and makes that stupid team take precedent over mine sometimes so the dad can enjoy another SB.  Now my lurking and posting privileges will be revoked in 3, 2, 1... lol 

I use to be like that with the eagles.

FA era really took a lot away from any rivalry. Except in regards to making the playoffs , none of it matters. It's just fan boy rah rah BS.

Personally I'm ok w/ a Dallas win whether it helps us or not. We're not going to the SB this year, that's fine, we're working on it longterm, but just imagine the tears, the teeth gnashing and hair pulling if the 'Boys romp thru the season only to get shellacked and thrown to the curb in the playoffs..............

14 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

It does not make me sick to say Redskins in the playoffs. With a win against NY and Dallas beating Detroit, it's the only way I see it. I don't trust Detroit beating GB, although they have shared W-L's the last 3 years and GB already beat Detroit earlier.

You know it's a huge incentive for the Lions to play lights out against GB because winning the next two will give them the chance to be the 2nd seat in the division   

32 minutes ago, zoony said:

Either we get bounced next week or the week after

**** Dallas I hope they lose

So Zoony I am going to hold you to this. If we make the playoffs you are off the board until after our last game of the season since you and a few others will be upset about a Dallas victory Monday night. :rofl89:

9 minutes ago, coyote4848 said:

Can someone explain how we wind up ahead of Detroit even though they can can lose tonight and still wind up 10-6, whereas we would only be 9-6-1 at best?

Because in that scenario, Detroit wins their division and we end up ahead of the Packers.

None of this even matters. Our team sucks and if they go to playoffs they will lose 30-3.  We all are going to die alone. My favorite color is brownish grey. I'd rather listen to Fiona apple alone in my dark room than watch this team lose in the playoffs. 

Just kidding...

Go skins, get in anyway you can! All things are possible. Dallas pisses me off but I don't believe in them, I hope they win tonight for our Redskins sake. If they truly scared me it would be harder for me to pull for them tonight. 

13 minutes ago, coyote4848 said:

Yeah, I had a brain freeze about the pack/lions game. One of them has to lose and I guess we beat the other one in a tie breaker.

Unless they tie. If they tie, I believe GB takes the division and we lose the head-to-head with the Lions.

Archived