Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Take the Points or End the Game with the Ball?

TD_washingtonredskins

Take the Points or End the Game with the Ball?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. How would you prefer THIS REDSKIN TEAM to handle a < 3 point deficit in the final 2 minutes?

• End the game with the ball and a FG attempt
    • Score the TD and turn the game over to the defense

1 minute ago, youngchew said:

Because we were so far out (ball was in the 25?), I didn't even think about Thompson going down at the 1 during that run until during the commercial break.  Hindsight being what it is, would've been nice if he did, tho.  Because watching that Eagles drive did a number on all of us I'm sure.  

Had Thompson gone down at the 1, I'd give it to Kelley twice right up the gut.  Eagles probably call their TO after the first attempt if we don't get in.  If Kelley doesn't score on 1st & 2nd down, kick the FG on 3rd down, that way you're good if something "Redskins" happens on the snap.  

But again, going down on the 1 sounds great in hindsight but we were trailing at the time.

How many times have we seen any team (not necessarily The Skins) get to The Goal Line & can't punch it in?  No way....when you're trailing, you take that lead!

(the obvious exception is when you would be Kicking Off to an Elite Quarterback - that would make your decisions much tougher.  But I say score dammit!!)

Just now, bobandweave said:

If he misses the kick there, in that sequence of events it would be really bad for him. In a way we protected our Kicker by not doing this

I think you have to give yourself the best shot to win. I don't think boosting confidence or protecting players should be factored in when one loss can derail the entire season. 

12 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think you have to give yourself the best shot to win. I don't think boosting confidence or protecting players should be factored in when one loss can derail the entire season. 

Well while we are playing devils advocate, you have the lead with what happened the TD from Chris. With the lead you win so best chance to win should be getting the lead as that has to happen in order to win. We can't pretend to know exactly what would have happened when the other team got the football. Our goal in that spot to me is to get the lead then worry about everything later.

But say Thompson falls down at the Eagles 3 yard line, we kneel for 3 plays milking clock and then take a time out and we line up to kick the ball from the Eagles 6 yard line, Hopkins is actually taking a kick of 23 yards and this season he's been 7/7 from kicking between 20-29 yard distance. Pretty automatic from that distance

Now since the TD play was ran from the Eagles 26 yard line, say he picks up the 6 yards needed for a first down and then immediately gives himself up at the Eagles 19. Same series of events, loss of three yards by rule of the three kneel down plays that transpires and then Hopkins lines up for a FG kick from the Eagles 22. He is actually then taking a 39 yard FG. On the season he is now 10 of 12 between 30-39 yards. Not automatic.

In fact in the game in question earlier in the game this happened

4th and 8 at PHI 20

(1:09 - 1st) D.Hopkins 38 yard field goal is No Good, Hit Left Upright, Center-N.Sundberg, Holder-T.Way.

Not saying he would have missed another one from this distance but in this game many factors go into FG misses (field position, crappy play from the holder or snapper, winds, hands of god with the uprights etc). Which considering this is even more reason to get the TD and worry about the Defense holding up later

During the drive that led to the Chris Thompson touchdown it was in the back of my mind if that we score too quick it will leave time on the clock for the Eagles..than we scored and my dad started pre celebrating that we won and I said it's not over yet and wish we would had not scored so quick then he mention they only have one time out and under a minute 55 to play That's when I imagined a defensive game winning play like we have seen a handful of other times this season, we all want to be so mad and disgusted at our defense including me that I think we Overlook the little things that are game changers, way to go Skins hell of a win!

54 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

I understand your point TD.  But in the context of Sunday's game, I disagree with this strategy you promote.

Now far be it from me to divine Jay Gruden's thinking in the moment, however, Sunday's tilt represented us (as a fledgling Contender) paying a visit to an inferior Division Rival in a Must-Win scenario.  In such a circumstance, you beat them.  Obviously, right?  But how you beat them also matters here.  

As for Sunday, Gruden played it correctly in getting the Touchdown & handing the responsibility to The Defense to preserve the Win.  Putting our Season in their hands gives them confidence.  And they rewarded his faith by succeeding in that moment.  I say his strategy was correct because had he played for the Field Goal and Won, he would have implicitly communicated that we can't hope to Win if our Defense is on The Field at crunch time.  And that would be a mistake.

But if that were a Playoff Game, then I would be more open to your strategy.  In The PostSeason, every team is high quality and can beat you when given any opportunity.  If he elected to play keep away from, say Atlanta or Seattle, I'd have no problem with it.  

Does that make sense?

I believe he did.  And yes, he did learn from that!  And I was pleased to see his growth.

But this didn't happen. No one decided to talk to Thompson about kneeling down or not. We were outside the 20, I don't think anyone thought he'd take it to the end zone.

This is from Bubba's Breaking News section about whether to score or stop at the 1.

http://www.richmond.com/redskins-xtra/article_81341628-0953-5263-9ae9-aff1b3003702.html

When Joe Gibbs was the coach of the Washington Redskins, he was famous for spending nights at the practice facility, falling asleep on the couch when sunrise was near and there was no point in going home.

One explanation Gibbs had for working such long hours was that when he and the members of the offensive coaching staff gathered to discuss plays for the upcoming game, “Every coach would find a reason why every play wouldn’t work,” Gibbs once said.

Gibbs and his staff were doing a bit of overthinking.

Sunday, the Redskins defeated the Philadelphia Eagles 27-22, scoring the winning touchdown with 1:53 left in the game.

That came on a 25-yard run by Chris Thompson on a well-designed play, featuring misdirection with a fake “jet sweep” to DeSean Jackson moving left to right before a quick pitchout to Thompson heading left. It was the perfect call for the situation.

But when Redskins coach Jay Gruden was asked if Thompson should have taken a knee 1-yard short of the end zone, Gruden said, “That’s a great point.”

click the link for more

3 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

But this didn't happen. No one decided to talk to Thompson about kneeling down or not. We we outside the 20, I don't think anyone thought he'd take it to the end zone.

I'm glad he did!  What Chris Thompson demonstrated with such a brilliant play in crunch time was Winning Football.

It's high time the folks around here got acquainted with that concept.

I think if you're trailing, you take the TD. Don't screw around. Anything can happen and this year in particular there have been a lot of crazy mishaps when it comes to kicking FGs. You got a go ahead TD you take it and hope your D can prevent a TD with a minute and change left.

Now in a TIE game, I think you consider falling at the 1. That way even if something awful happens on the FG try, you still have OT.

As Thompson scored I did think that I wish we had taken a bit more time off the clock, but you take the touchdown every time. Never try to out-think yourself and pass up on a chance to take the lead.

Given the way that philly scored a FG with their back-up, back-up long snapper, it would have been so Redskins for us to miss the game winner with our regular guy.

If we were up by a point then yeah, sit down at the one and then take a knee a few times, but not when behind.

I think you should always take the 7 if it's there. Even with our suspect defense, it's their job to preserve the lead and they're either going to do it or they're not. And if the answer is "not" too many times, then you address it accordingly at seasons end.

That being said, I see this as a "no wrong answers" scenario and can definitely see why others would play for 3. But for my philosophical dollar... why avoid putting the defense in that situation when they are going to have be tested sometime be it the playoffs or the next season.

Yeah, the classic example of falling down at the 1 was when Brian Westbrook of the Eagles did it against Dallas. But the Eagles were actually ahead by 1, and he slid down because he knew if he scored, the Cowboys would still have a chance to tie with a TD and 2 point conversion.

I thought about it right after Thompson went in, but I think he did the correct thing. If he takes a knee to set ourselves up for a FG, and something crappy happens like a miss or a snap over the holder's head, and I guarantee that you're feeling a lot sicker for not getting the automatic points than you would be if the Skins D had given up the GWTD.

9 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Ultimately, you have to take the points because no field goal is 100%, but man, part of me wanted him to fall down at the 2.

Two scenarios:

Down 1 with 5 seconds left and kicking a 20-yard FG

Up 5 with 1:45 left and defending

I would assume option 1 is closer to 100% than option 2.  

With Hopkins having a few clunker kicks this year, there shouldn't even be a doubt about scoring the TD.

However, he could have peeled it parallel to the goal line and took his dear sweet time doing it; that would have taken a little more off the clock.

False starts, possible snapper/QB mis-handling leading to a fumble, possible fumble with the RB, and the very possibility of exactly what happened to Wentz; a sack-strip. All of those could very well have happened, and if they did, ES would have to shut down to avoid total melt down

Archived