Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

26 minutes ago, Tay said:

I said "I think". If that's breaking news, your bar for news is pretty low.

I agree with your point as where this likely ends up numbers wise.  And I also agree that "fully" is a key distinction when it comes to the guaranteed money.  Where we disagree is if there are offers and counter offers where the Redskins are offering in the 70 million range of fully guaranteed money and Kirk is saying no and wants in the 90 million range of fully guaranteed money -- I say that's one heck of a story that would get covered versus it being a low key yawner where you define my bar for news being low. :)

To each their own on what's newsworthy.   You got Adam Schefter talking up on Sports Center just a few minutes ago about the mere idea of their being some positive talks going on -- something tells me real meat on the contract talks let alone close to record breaking numbers being offered, turned down, and counter offered would get plenty of attention.  

If Kirk is turning down a 3 year fully guaranteed contract then he's turning down if I recall the richest offer in fully guaranteed money in NFL history unless I am missing a contract?  Suh got 60 million guaranteed.   We can all agree that Kirk isn't getting less than 20 million a year.   As you mentioned, Luck was in the 40s as to fully guaranteed money.

16 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Because people always complain about him meddling and they want him to stay away from football stuff? We are a fickle people.

Danny choosing which FAs to target or who to trade for ala lets go get Chad Johnson for two #1 rounder picks = IMO bad.   That's the owner making personnel decisions. 

Danny being told by his head coach that he wants to keep Kirk in the fold -- along with others sharing that view in the building who want Kirk (according to Mike Jones) and Danny kicking in to help negotiate (he's the guy paying the money).  That's others making the personnel decision = good.   And Danny helping lock in the target.   That's good IMO.

If Bruce and Jay didn't want Kirk and Danny interjected and say I'll go get him anyway.  That would be interference.   Owners weighing in on major negotiations, I don't think is that uncommon.  It's their money in play.   But owners pushing for transactions -- trades, etc -- that's less common.   Most say John Mara lets his personnel guys make personnel decisions without interference but for example when it came to the Hankins FA negotiations this year, I recall Mara commenting on them publicly where he seemed engaged.   

11 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

If as an owner you have to get involved in the negotiations and say "enough", then you have hired the wrong people to run your team.

I'd have that thought if I am the owner.  Why can't you guys get this done.    The only thing though is some say Danny prides himself on being a good negotiator.  So he might get a kick out of using that muscle for the better good so to speak.

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Because people always complain about him meddling and they want him to stay away from football stuff? We are a fickle people.

When it comes to free agent signings, buddy buddy type stuff with players, yea I want Snyder out.  But if Bruce is bsing  around over a few million per year or guaranteed money, a business decision has to be made. Look how much money we could have saved two years ago. Kirks price is only going up, someone (dan) has to step in at some point and say ok, we either decide to make this deal now or we let it go to free agency next year with a 99.99% chance of losing him. 

edit: @Skinsinparadise beat me to it 

3 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

I'm sorry but didnt we all said:"Just get Dan involved. Kirk wants to be loved. Know Skins want him long term. Dan is the man for that message."

I know it's not done deal but Dan has a history in courting football players and getting them signed. Even his wife is pretty hot. So he must have some next level persuasion skills.

It just amazes me how many time we at ES are right. If they would listen to us more.... :P

We would have had Sultan McCullough on the roster, dammit!!...

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

If as an owner you have to get involved in the negotiations and say "enough", then you have hired the wrong people to run your team.

Pretty sure that's not what Snyder has said or done.

For months we have kept hearing (and saying) that "never in the history of the NFL" has a player been in the situation Cousins is in now, or has had the gigantic amount of leverage, etc, etc...if so, an owner getting involved on some level in the process would seem to be a no-brainer, regardless of what his "people" are or are not doing.

Redskins Expected To Sign CB Lou Young

Nate Bouda 3 mins ago NFL Transactions,

Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer reports that the Redskins are expected to sign CB Lou Young after he worked out for Washington on Wednesday.

Young, 25, originally signed on with the Broncos as an undrafted free agent out of Georgia Tech back in May of 2014. He lasted just a few months in Denver before he was waived during the final week of the preseason.

After brief stints with the Ravens and Jaguars, Young signed a future/reserve contract with the Panthers last year but has been among their final roster cuts in each of the past two seasons.

He was on and off of the teamÂ’s active roster last year. The Panthers ultimately elected to waive Young shortly after this yearÂ’s NFL draft.

In 2016, Young appeared in six games for the Panthers and recorded one tackle and no interceptions.

http://nfltraderumors.co/redskins-expected-sign-cb-lou-young/

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Redskins Expected To Sign CB Lou Young

Nate Bouda 3 mins ago NFL Transactions,

Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer reports that the Redskins are expected to sign CB Lou Young after he worked out for Washington on Wednesday.

Young, 25, originally signed on with the Broncos as an undrafted free agent out of Georgia Tech back in May of 2014. He lasted just a few months in Denver before he was waived during the final week of the preseason.

After brief stints with the Ravens and Jaguars, Young signed a future/reserve contract with the Panthers last year but has been among their final roster cuts in each of the past two seasons.

He was on and off of the teamÂ’s active roster last year. The Panthers ultimately elected to waive Young shortly after this yearÂ’s NFL draft.

In 2016, Young appeared in six games for the Panthers and recorded one tackle and no interceptions.

http://nfltraderumors.co/redskins-expected-sign-cb-lou-young/

Definition of the 56th guy.  I always like these guys, hope they do well and catch on. 

I can't seem to quote tweets.  So I'll reference them:

1. Ryan Grant will not be a starting WR for the 'Skins.  Even though Jay LOVES, and I mean LOVES him some Ryan Grant.  There's no question he's on the roster, but by opening day, he's behind Doctson and Quick, baring injury. 

2. What's really going to make people's heads explode is that Compton and Brown are going to be the starting ILBs in base.  I'm hoping when they go to nickle, they can find a way to get Compton OFF the field.  I don't have as much problem with him in base, maybe he can become a better tackler, who knows.  But in nickle, he's a larger liability.

3. Galette just blew up a guy who I'd never heard of.  That's progress, I guess.

4. Chris Thompson being healthy and good might improve the defense more than just about any move the 'Skins made.  Also, kudos to Snider for using "Splat" in a tweet.

5. So, even the players knew that we had no safeties.  How in God's name did our talent evaluating GM let that happen last year?  2 things from last off-season I didn't understand: 1. the "plan" at safety, and going into the year with essentially no competition at RB for Matt Jones.  Neither of those decisions made any sense.  

some interesting stuff about some of the FA signings.  I take the positive plug on Galette a little seriously since it came from Mike Jones who has been a skeptic of him.  But I am not counting on the dude, he'd be a nice bonus.  Between Cooley's raving (and Cooley is not an easy sell) about Swearinger being a stud after they signed him and Jay talking him up as maybe becoming one of the better safeties in the league -- tough for me not to get excited about him.     

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/06/07/three-surprising-things-we-learned-at-wednesdays-practice-at-redskins-park/?utm_term=.a659e77bbb25

Swearinger expected Skins interest – The Arizona Cardinals were preparing to play the Redskins last season, and D.J. Swearinger and fellow safety Tony Jefferson decided that in addition to watching film of the offense, they would check out Washignton’s defense as well. It didn’t take long for the two to realize the Redskins badly needed help at safety where injuries and inexperience plagued that position group.

“Last year, me and my guy Tony Jefferson was looking at this roster like, ‘For sure one of us is going to the Washington Redskins.’ It just happened to be me,” Swearinger said after Wednesday’s practice. “I told him [Jefferson] wanted to come here. But for sure last year we were watching it on film like one of us is going to Washington.”

Asked what he saw in Washington’s safeties, Swearinger said, “Just from watching it from where we were in Arizona and just how we played ball at safety, you could just tell they needed help at safety. Whether it was a missed tackle, a guy not making a play on the ball, there were just a lot of inconsistent plays that we seen on film just from watching one or two games here or there.”

Swearinger grew up idolizing the late Sean Taylor and wears No. 36 to honor the former Redskins safety. So he knows how much of a revolving door Washington has had at free safety ever since Taylor was killed in 2007. Swearinger said he simply aims to play the game the way he always has, while constantly working to get better, and naturally, he expects to become the solution.

Free agent addition Zach Brown made the Pro Bowl last season after recording 149 tackles, four sacks, two forced fumbles, an interception and four pass breakups for Buffalo. But the sixth-year veteran felt like he had a good amount of work he can do in pass coverage. So this week, he sat down with Redskins quarterbacks Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy and asked them to teach him what they see when they read safeties and linebackers.

“This week I was more focused on pass concepts and pass routes, and how the quarterback reads the safeties. Some quarterbacks might see a high safety and go here, or might read here and go here. Our defense is a lot different than other defenses, so I sat down with our quarterbacks and asked how they would read it. They were like, ‘Look, when the safety leaves, I’m automatically going to throw it here. Or if he stays, then I’m coming down to the shallow. It all depends on what he do.’ Or he might read the corner. So, I’m just trying to pick their brains because they’re the ones that are watching it all.”

Brown is still learning Washington’s defense, and once training camp gets here, he’ll compete with Mason Foster and Will Compton for the top two inside linebacker spots. For now, Brown has played primarily as the ‘sam’ while Compton and Foster have taken turns at middle linebacker – the signal caller of the defense. (Compton held that job last year, and Foster played ‘sam’.) On most pass-heavy plays, and during 7-on-7 drills during OTAs, Brown has lined up next to Compton. So, that’s part of why he is focusing on improving at that spot.

“It’s always something new, every year,” Brown said. “You never know what it might be, but it’s always going to be something new, and so you try to adapt to it and read it.”

Junior Galette continues to make progress. He, Brown and Trent Murphy shed blocks, swarmed to the ball and swallowed up Mack Brown on a run. Galette and Brown leapt into their air and high-fived after the play. Later, Galette applied good pressure, bull-dozing left tackle Kevin Bowen into the backfield and into the path of Kirk Cousins, who hurriedly had to throw the ball away.

39 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

5. So, even the players knew that we had no safeties.  How in God's name did our talent evaluating GM let that happen last year?  2 things from last off-season I didn't understand: 1. the "plan" at safety, and going into the year with essentially no competition at RB for Matt Jones.  Neither of those decisions made any sense.  

The safety issue of course wasn't something endemic to just last season. Actually last year (along with this year) was one of the rare productive ones in that they used a high draft pick (for a change) to land what seems to be a solution at strong safety in Cravens.     And according to one report, some in the building pushed for him to start at safety and were rebuffed by Barry on it.  The season before Jarrett looked like a find but his career got ended prematurely.

The how could our GM let it happen would extend to Bruce, Campbell, Cerrato, Shanny over the years.  As the article I posted above stated, the safety position has been a struggle since Sean passed away.   They overpaid for aging safeties on the decline like Atogwe, M. Williams.  We got Ryan Clark, D. Goldson at the downsides of their careers.   Then low round picks 4-6th rounders:  P. Thomas, B. Rambo.   Then we had cheap backups elsewhere and hoped they'd emerge here as starters like Bruton, J. Johnson.

In defense though of all of our GM-personnel people over that era, its about prioritizing.  You can't fix everything.  So for example, Shanny would rather have himself Garcon, Cofield over name that hot shot FA safety.  The Giants have had mediocre MLBs ever since Pierce left.  It's not that it hasn't caught their attention but they've put their resources elsewhere.

This off season according to Breer, Swearinger was Scot's top FA target.   So I gather after the 2016 season was over the conclusion was enough is enough when it came to safety play.   Swearinger's story about wanting to play for the Redskins, idolizing Sean, etc makes it a cool story if he indeed helps finally becomes the solution at free safety.

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The safety issue of course wasn't something endemic to just last season. Actually last year (along with this year) was one of the rare productive ones in that they used a high draft pick (for a change) to land what seems to be a solution at strong safety in Cravens.     And according to one report, some in the building pushed for him to start at safety and were rebuffed by Barry on it. 

Of all the criticisms that I have of Barry, and I have loads, that one is probably my biggest.  You take a guy who you can coach into a starting safety, and stick him into a non-existent role, and then have massive problems at safety.  

It was stupid from the get-go.  Along with just about everything else Barry did in 2 years here.  

It's amazing how poorly the team has done at FA and the draft at safety for a long time save for Sean.  Even Landry arguably can be considered a bust considering how high a pick he was.  Hopefully Cravens is the solution at strong.  And DJ at free safety.  Looks good so far. 

Losing Sean tragically.  Jarett's career ending based on a fluke injury.  Grooming a young-upcoming safety in Ryan Clark and then letting him go to thrive in Pittsburgh.  There has been some serious bad karma around the safety position.  

23 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Pretty sure that's not what Snyder has said or done.

For months we have kept hearing (and saying) that "never in the history of the NFL" has a player been in the situation Cousins is in now, or has had the gigantic amount of leverage, etc, etc...if so, an owner getting involved on some level in the process would seem to be a no-brainer, regardless of what his "people" are or are not doing.

I would agree its a no-brainer, but if the people you have hired cant avoid making NFL history in a bad way, wouldnt it be obvious to you as an owner that you hired the wrong people?

1 minute ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

I think we are in major play for Navarro Bowman when he is cut by the 49ers here soon.

He is a position of need. He is from this area and he played for Tomsula and Manusky in San Fran.

David Harris would be plan B.

I like the idea of it, but Bowman is majorly damaged goods. Its not just the money he's making that's getting him cut, I believe he tore up his ACL and Achilles and has never been the same. 

He was a three time 1st team all pro before he tore his ACL and MCL in 2014.

He came back in 2015, and earned his 4th first team all pro.

He did tear his Achilles last year 

At a reasonable deal, we let him compete with Compton and Foster and see if he can beat them out.

If he does, we improve. If he doesn't, we are where we are at right now 

One year "prove it" deal. Incentive laiden.

Why not?

Archived