Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

U.S. Congress Part 116

thebluefood

I would need to hear context.  Could be "food stamps need to end after we get to a place where no one needs them" or something (though I doubt the GOP said that).  Point is its too easy to cherry pick quotes to push a narrative when you dont include context.  Thats why I am usually leery of taking short quotes from twitter and getting up in arms about them.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

Serious question because I'm ignorant. How does extending CHIP save money in the long run? CHIP is a great program and should be extended, but math-wise trying to understand how five more years would eventually save money down the road.

I can think of ways that it might.  Maybe kids who get better health care don't need as much Medicaid money, when they turn 18.  

But as I understand it, CBO is usually prohibited from factoring in secondary effects like that.  And they typically are only allowed to consider effects over 10 years or less.  So yeah, I'm interested in seeing their reasoning, too.  

37 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

Serious question because I'm ignorant. How does extending CHIP save money in the long run? CHIP is a great program and should be extended, but math-wise trying to understand how five more years would eventually save money down the road.

7 minutes ago, Larry said:

I can think of ways that it might.  Maybe kids who get better health care don't need as much Medicaid money, when they turn 18.  

But as I understand it, CBO is usually prohibited from factoring in secondary effects like that.  And they typically are only allowed to consider effects over 10 years or less.  So yeah, I'm interested in seeing their reasoning, too.  

From the article linked above.

Essentially, killing the mandate dramatically raises premiums in Obamacare’s individual market, which is where millions of low-income families currently enrolled in CHIP would have to turn were the program to disappear. The higher those premiums go, the more the government has to pay in subsidies. So by raising the cost of notrenewing CHIP, Republicans have dramatically lowered the cost of reauthorizing it.

But Matthew Fiedler, an economist at Brookings’ Center for Health Policy, told TPM that this not much of a cause for celebration, as part of the reason for the new, lower cost of CHIP is the expectation that many more parents around the country will go uninsured.

“If you think about a world with no CHIP, a lot of families would still want to have their kids covered, so they would look for private insurance in the individual market,” he explained.

“There, once you’ve covered your kids, it’s basically free to cover yourself on the same policy, because of how the premium tax credits work. But if CHIP comes back, the parent is the only one to remain on the policy, facing a cost for the coverage. Without the mandate, more parents are likely to drop their insurance than CBO used to think.”

The news that renewing CHIP is now a net cost-saver, Fiedler emphasized, “isn’t really a silver lining of the repeal of the individual mandate. We’re going to have lower coverage for parents than we used to.”

Edited by The Evil Genius

Ah, got it.  The GOP vastly increased the cost of Obamacare, and ending CHIP will force more people into Obamacare.  (Which the government will still have to pay for.)  

I'd smugly spout something about Unintended Consequences, if it weren't for the fact that vastly increasing the cost of Obamacare was the intended consequence.  

Edited by Larry

If anyone was watching Flake this morning, you have my sympathies.

If he (or the rest) somehow believe that making some chiding remarks on the way out the door absolves them of any responsibility or blame for this humiliating episode, just remember that they VOTED FOR THIS **** EVERY STEP OF THE WAY IN THIS DESCENT INTO HELL!!!! All the pearl clutching in the world doesn't change the facts or negate the hypocrisy in supporting the entire sham agenda, confirming wildly, desperately unqualified nominees to hollow out the federal agencies or dumping another 1.5T+ onto the deficit as payoffs for their donors (after you get that break for yourself, right Jeff?) ad nauseum.

These are utterly loathsome, amoral individuals that should be hunted down and exterminated the same way the Israelis chased Mengele.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

If he (or the rest) somehow believe that making some chiding remarks on the way out the door absolves them of any responsibility or blame for this humiliating episode, just remember that they VOTED FOR THIS **** EVERY STEP OF THE WAY IN THIS DESCENT INTO HELL!!!! All the pearl clutching in the world doesn't change the facts or negate the hypocrisy in supporting the entire sham agenda, confirming wildly, desperately unqualified nominees to hollow out the federal agencies or dumping another 1.5T+ onto the deficit as payoffs for their donors (after you get that break for yourself, right Jeff?) ad nauseum.

These are utterly loathsome, amoral individuals that should be hunted down and exterminated the same way the Israelis chased Mengele.

They arranged their "golden parachute" aka the new tax law. They plundered, raped, and fled. They weren't conquerors or revolutionaries. They are raiders and pirates.

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

They arranged their "golden parachute" aka the new tax law. They plundered, raped, and fled. They weren't conquerors or revolutionaries. They are raiders and pirates.

They don't have the style or competence of pirates, they are SS LARPers trying to shoulder others out of their Lebensraum

3 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Here we go again. Now lets hunt down and kill those who support the Republican agenda even if they don't like the Jack-ass. (Guess TWA, me and a couple of other posters here would go on your death list). Have you thought of the best methods for exterminating the population that liked the Tax Cuts, Gorsuchs nomination etc?

Edited by nonniey

31 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Now lets hunt down and kill those who support the Republican agenda even if they don't like the Jack-ass. 

(Looks at the Republican agenda).

I'm good with that. 

Edit:  

Frankly, if the only point of difference between you and what the GOP has done in the last year is that you occasionally express disapproval of Trump, personally, then you're scum.  

Edited by Larry

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Here we go again. Now lets hunt down and kill those who support the Republican agenda even if they don't like the Jack-ass. (Guess TWA, me and a couple of other posters here would go on your death list). Have you thought of the best methods for exterminating the population that liked the Tax Cuts, Gorsuchs nomination etc?

*pretends that a single over the top hyperbolic internet post is actual persection*

*pretends being a conservative is similar to being a victim of the holocaust*

*wallows in the unfairness of it all while his conservative movement enables and whitewashes actual Nazis*

You have now completed today's lesson in modern conservatism.  You can pick up your certificate at the door.  To avoid getting any moral backsplash on you from everything awful the GOP has done recently that you manage to close your eyes to, we have typed "centrist" on the certificate for you.  Wave it with honor.

Edited by Predicto
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Predicto said:

*pretends that a single over the top hyperbolic internet post is actual persection*

*pretends being a conservative is similar to being a victim of the holocaust*

*wallows in the unfairness of it all while his conservative movement enables and whitewashes actual Nazis*

You have now completed today's lesson in modern conservatism.  You can pick up your certificate at the door.  To avoid getting any moral backsplash on you from everything awful the GOP has done recently that you manage to close your eyes to, we have typed "centrist" on the certificate for you.  Wave it with honor.

Seems to be a recurring theme in this forum lately that not only do some want their political opponents defeated, they want them dead (Up to and including posts stating happiness over the deaths of a group of people because they most likely were Trump supporters). LD (and surprisingly Larry) just decided to expand the list to all Republicans.

So I'll post the Solzhenitsyn quote yet again (yeah I kind of like this quote) “Gradually it was disclosed to me that the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts."

Edited by nonniey