Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

U.S. Congress Part 116

thebluefood

13 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

This is actually a good fix. Dodd-Frank or at least this portion of Dodd-Frank damaged smaller banks and accelerated the consolidation of banking into the too big to fail banks. Dodd-Frank has been a boon to big banks to the detriment of smaller banks and this addresses one of it's key problems. (which is why this is getting that rare bi-partisan support).

Edited by nonniey

And, indeed, the Republicans succeeded in only one major initiative since Donald Trump has been president: tax cuts for the rich. We got em. And every credible expert will tell you that these tax cuts, which will flow overwhelmingly to the rich, will cost the government well over one trillion dollars. This funneling of public revenue back to the Republican donor class is the financial equivalent of spending $1.3 trillion on public health care, or affordable housing, or some other trifling matter like that. It is, in other words, a policy choice. The Republican policy choice is that—in a time of immense economic inequality—there is no better way to spend a trillion dollars than to give it to the richest people in America.

These are simple facts. This has already happened. Everyone will see, over the next decade, exactly who gets that tax cut money. (Spoiler: the rich will get most of it, and everyone else will get very little.) The next step in the dream Republican playbook is to pull their pockets inside-out and exclaim, “We’re broke! We must cut entitlements!” By “entitlements” they mean your health and retirement and roads and schools and libraries and everything else that the government spends tax revenue on, because they just gave a lot of that tax revenue back to the rich. Again, this move is widely expected and will be thoroughly unsurprising. Over the course of several decades, the Republican Party put in place the regulatory and legal structure that allowed the rich to amass obscene levels of wealth; then cut taxes on those obscenely wealthy people; then claimed that the government cannot afford to continue providing the same level of services to the poor and middle class. Help the rich get all the wealth, and then help them keep it all, and then claim to be unable to help anyone else. It’s quite a scam. And how much gall would it take, in the midst of all this, to try to push through yet another tax cut, right on the heels of the one that will make the rich richer and everyone else poorer?

On 3/26/2018 at 4:46 PM, visionary said:

US House Speaker Paul Ryan to retire in blow to Republicans

US House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan will not run for re-election this year, in a big blow to Republicans with mid-term elections looming.

Congress' most powerful lawmaker said he would not stand for another term in his Wisconsin district this November.

Republicans already face a tough challenge from Democrats to keep control of the lower chamber.

Mr Ryan joins nearly 30 House Republicans who have announced this year they are retiring outright.

Democrats need 23 seats to take over the House.

In a Wednesday morning news conference, Mr Ryan said the decision was family-related.

"You all know that I did not seek this job," he said. "I took it reluctantly.

"But I have given this job everything. I have no regrets whatsoever for having accepted this responsibility."

He continued: "But the truth is it's easy for it to take over everything in your life and you can't just let that happen."

The 48-year-old father-of-three said he did not want to be known by his children as "only a weekend dad".

Mr Ryan said he would retire in January after finishing his congressional term.

Click on the link for more

• 2 weeks later...

"Party before, well, anything" has been the legacy of the entire GOP for, I'd say, 10 years or so. 

Ryan certainly played the game. But he's not single handedly responsabile for it. 

Edit:. 

I'm not sure I've ever seen a post more worthy of the "sad" voter (which I've always thought looked really goofy, BTW) than the one above. 

Edited by Larry

4 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Paul Ryan would have literally fired Jesus, is what I'm gathering from his firing of the Chaplain.

The janitor?  Guy was probably illegal anyways.

FYI:  I don't know how to type the u with the little ~ over it to make it Hispanic other whys it probably would have been funnier.