Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

U.S. Congress Part 116

thebluefood

32 minutes ago, clietas said:

Veterans Day and Memorial Day are really the same thing at the end of the day.

I disagree but admit my job probably plays a role in my opinion.

How about Christmas?  I see no need for a Federal holiday celebrating the "birth" of a Christian figurehead.  And there is another Federal holiday like a week later.

12 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I disagree but admit my job probably plays a role in my opinion.

How about Christmas?  I see no need for a Federal holiday celebrating the "birth" of a Christian figurehead.  And there is another Federal holiday like a week later.

I don't see Xmas or NYD ever not  being national holidays. Plus its not like Xmas and say Easter are national holidays.

Combining Memorial day and Veterans day feels like the best solution. Or still honor veterans on Election day as well. No real reason not to imo. I mean unless people really are that attached to the 11/11/11 Armistice day thing. 

For those interested there is a pretty good 35ish minute interview with AOC up at The Intercept.  It gets into her head space and POV as well as her giving her experience of the first few days after winning her seat and the reality of the situation. Much better and in depth than anything you'd find on cable news.

https://theintercept.com/podcasts/

37 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

Don't Americans were more days per year than most other 1st work countries? What's one more day? Then move election day to the day after the Super Bowl :)

I believe the same study showed that Americans also use billions of paid holiday pay unused every year for a ton of different reasons.  One being that no one can afford to do the actual vacationing part, also fear of the workload waiting for them when they return and/or company not properly staffed/lack of resources to get the work done in their absence. 

14 minutes ago, clietas said:

Combining Memorial day and Veterans day feels like the best solution. Or still honor veterans on Election day as well. No real reason not to imo. I mean unless people really are that attached to the 11/11/11 Armistice day thing. 

You mean, "Honor our veterans by voting?"  

38 minutes ago, clietas said:

I don't see Xmas or NYD ever not  being national holidays. Plus its not like Xmas and say Easter are national holidays.

Huh?  I think you made a mistake.  Said Xmas is and isn't a national holiday.  Or I am missing what you're saying.  As for combining, see below.

23 minutes ago, Larry said:

You mean, "Honor our veterans by voting?"  

I could see doing it on Veterans Day.  Would be an easy sell the way it just the way you said it.

18 minutes ago, clietas said:

To crazy an idea? 

To much like Independence Day but with voting?

I thought you were saying have one holiday that is called Memorial/Veterans day in May and then a national holiday called Voting day in November.  Keep them separate and just vote on Veterans day as said above.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
Spelling

10 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I thought you were saying have one holiday that is called Memorial/Veterans day in May and then a national holiday called Voting day in November.  Keep them separate and just vote on Veterans day as said above.

Voting Day needs work. Maybe Super Awesome America Day. 

Sorry Im not splainin to clear. Pretty much a Memorial/Veterans Day in May. Then a Super Awesome America Day in November for voting. 

Combine Veterans/Election day lose Columbus day would be a good option to. 

Mitch McConnell prolly isn't going to like any of these suggestions anyway tho dammit.

Edited by clietas

4 minutes ago, clietas said:

Voting Day needs work. Maybe Super Awesome America Day. 

Sorry Im not splainin to clear. Pretty much a Memorial/Veterans Day in May. Then a Super Awesome America Day in November for voting. 

Combine Veterans/Election day lose Columbus day would be a good option to. 

Mitch McConnell prolly isn't going to like any of these suggestions anyway tho dammit.

So out of curiousity what is your objection to just having elections on Veterans Day and not changing anything except the date elections are held.

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So out of curiousity what is your objection to just having elections on Veterans Day and not changing anything except the date elections are held.

None. No reason election day needs ta be the first tuesday of nov.

Just seems easier to combine Veterans n Memorial day tho if Mitch McConnells concerns are truely financial. Especially now that Trump wants military parades on Veterans Day. Hold them in May like the Russians then.

Get rid of Columbus day altogether as well if its truely a fiscal issue. Mitch is full of **** tho. He really just objects to more people voting. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Big Business would oppose that. They need their Veterans Day sales since that’s what all American holidays are now about. 

7 hours ago, clietas said:

Uh just combine Memorial day and Veterans day. Then make Election day a Federal Holiday. Why is this so difficult? It's a good thing for everyone.

Why not just make it a holiday and not worry about those other two days?

6 hours ago, clietas said:

Veterans Day and Memorial Day are really the same thing at the end of the day. Veterans day already being in November makes it easy already.

I'd be on board with scraping Columbus day as well.

They arent

And we could scrap Columbus Day

But why do we want the same total number of holidays. And the nerve of Mitch McConnell, a guy who works like 100 days a year to say that. F him

• Like 1

Article 2 of the Constitution says that the Presidential election, at least, must be held on the Tuesday following the first Monday in November, so moving it would require a Constitutional Ammendment. Quite the undertaking.

Moving Veterans day to that day would obviously be easier, as would just making a new holiday or eliminating another one.

4 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Why not just make it a holiday and not worry about those other two days?

Oh spirit of bipartisanship n whatnot.

Now that would make WAY to much sense. Which is why Mitch McConnell wouldn't go for it and why I wouldn't suggest it. DOA...

I mean it's not like Election Day is already a national holiday in some states. 

Wait.... It is? 

MITCH!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by clietas

4 hours ago, techboy said:

Article 2 of the Constitution says that the Presidential election, at least, must be held on the Tuesday following the first Monday in November, so moving it would require a Constitutional Ammendment. Quite the undertaking.

Moving Veterans day to that day would obviously be easier, as would just making a new holiday or eliminating another one.

Can they pass another Amendment to essentially change Election Day? Similiar to how prohibition was ended.

Oh and I absolutely hate the fact that the only constitutional amendment passed in my lifetime was/is about congessional salaries. 

Edited by clietas

14 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Top 5 worst American

Worst.  Biggest piece of **** in America.  He thinks Democrats are just trying to rig elections by letting more "people" vote.  (He doesn't really think we're people).  He thought Obama was just trying to rig the 2016 election by pointing out that we were under attack by a hostile foreign power.  A thief thinks everyone else is a thief.

He is the enemy.  Of both Democrats and the American people as a whole.  We can never, ever forget that he is the enemy and there is no working with that piece of ****.  He needs to be destroyed.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 2