Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

2 hours ago, twa said:

Can't do nuance anymore?

Pretty sure I didn't create him, but I certainly chose him over Hillary ....and would again.:rofl89:

I don't walk away.....I do laugh at ya'lls feeble **** though.

Honest question: Would you have voted for Trump over any democrat or was it about Hillary in particular?

24 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

No, you must drag the dog back to the pile of crap it left and scold it every time otherwise it’ll not learn, and then before long it’ll think that crapping all over the floor is acceptable, required even. You must be relentless. Resistance isn’t about short term, it’s about effort until the job is done. 

Which is why I bring up the Clintons :ols:

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

No, you must drag the dog back to the pile of crap it left and scold it every time otherwise it’ll not learn, and then before long it’ll think that crapping all over the floor is acceptable, required even. You must be relentless. Resistance isn’t about short term, it’s about effort until the job is done. 

Wait... you're not just venting? You actually think ranting at people will eventually change their minds? I'd suggest you google the "Backfire Effect".

Here's a short (under two minutes) video primer:

Also, just as a side note, what you're describing doesn't work on dogs either. If the discipline is not immediate they don't understand the connection. You pretty much need to correct as they are doing it.

11 minutes ago, twa said:

Hillary, I still have never checked Trumps name on a ballot

Depraved indifference.

Played like a fiddle. 

Now, follow up with more :rofl89: to show how everyone is wrong but you.

~Bang

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

So how do you get around that? 

you don't. You have to wait til they figure it out on their own. In the meantime, you can entertain yourself by plucking at their underdevelopment.

Some are so stupid they never will, regardless of how many times it is proven they live in a total fantasy.

The ONLY way they will change is if they are hurt so badly by being wrong they actually look for truth as to why.

Unfortunately, most of those who are stuck in such a pathetic existence will prefer to allow others to tell them why it's STILL the other guy's fault.

Laziness and ignorance.

~Bang

Just now, Bang said:

Depraved indifference.

Played like a fiddle. 

Now, follow up with more :rofl89: to show how everyone is wrong but you.

~Bang

I don't believe ya'll are wrong for opposing Trump or voting for Hillary

:rofl89:

15 minutes ago, redskinss said:

So how do you get around that? 

There was a very interesting article by Joel Achenbach in National Geographic titled "Why Do Many Reasonable People Doubt Science", which unfortunately does not appear to be accessible for free online any longer: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/science-doubters/achenbach-text

It addressed a lot of the cognitive processes (which NO ONE is immune to, as smug as we might get observing Trump supporters) which lead people to hold to views which seem ridiculous from the outside. Tribalism is a much more powerful effect (on all of us) than we give credit for, for example.

The solution posed in the article is building a positive personal relationship (I guess like joining the tribe). One of the people quoted was a climate scientist whose father didn't believe in Global Warming, and she made less than zero headway with him until she told him something like "I'm your daughter... Are you saying I'm lying to you?"

Of course, that's a lot harder than raging online.

Also, that episode of Adam Ruins Everything has a longer interview with a Psychologist that works on the issue, and he had some other ideas as well if you search it out.

37 minutes ago, techboy said:

Wait... you're not just venting? You actually think ranting at people will eventually change their minds? I'd suggest you google the "Backfire Effect".

Here's a short (under two minutes) video primer:

Also, just as a side note, what you're describing doesn't work on dogs either. If the discipline is not immediate they don't understand the connection. You pretty much need to correct as they are doing it.

For the record the research shows that even logical, dispassioned presentation of corrective facts doesn’t change their minds either.

Also for the record, as much as I disagree with twa, I’m certain his intelligence and ability to reason is at least slightly higher than the average house pet.

39 minutes ago, twa said:

You’ve said that you voted for Trump.

But then you also claimed once to not be a Republican so I guess this is just a joke too.

39 minutes ago, twa said:

But then you also claimed once to not be a Republican so I guess this is just a joke too.

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

For the record the research shows that even logical, dispassioned presentation of corrective facts doesn’t change their minds either.

That's true, which is why I pointed out the personal relationship angle a bit later (and there is some evidence that careful long term presentation of the facts has some effect as well), but given that the Backfire Effect is triggered because the brain thinks it's under attack, being aggressive only makes the effect more prominent.

I hadn't said anything previously because I assumed you were just blowing off steam, but if I'm going to take your (rather unbelievable) claim made here previously that there's no need to chill out because you are in fact quite calm at face value, and then I add in this claim that you're doing it to change minds, then I must point out that you are doing it in a rather counterproductive manner.

8 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Also for the record, as much as I disagree with twa, I’m certain his intelligence and ability to reason is at least slightly higher than the average house pet.

Back to nuance.

I voted against him in the primary and straight ticket to avoid checking his name.

I'm a registered independent that voted in the Rep primary and straight ticket R(for the second time in my life)...which makes me a Rep till at least the next election imo.

Perhaps if ya listened more and defined less ya would do better.

What is a joke is some of the liberals on this board voted for Trump. :rofl89:

techboy makes a very valid point, and for the most part I agree but at the same time I believe you cannot just let it slide, you have to call it out each and every time. That doesn't mean you have to be a ****head, but silence implies assent, and letting this **** go by without the well deserved ration of WTF??!? it warrants is a level of tacit acceptance.

4 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Um... way to stand up? Wish I’d have thought of that. Next time, I’ll show that Abubakar Shekau exactly what I think of him. I’m voting straight Boko Haram!!!

Trump has been better than I expected....does that help? :silly:

btw, just a genral note, it is reasonable karma imo that the dems---and while not a dem i include myself in this--- should continue eat a lot of **** re all things Clinton that wasn't fully, honestly, acknowledged previously (tho twa and many gopers still manage to grossly overdo the shtick)---and i say that as someone who voted for Hillary with more reluctance then the vote i cast for Reagan and felt bill was kinda slimy but not as bad as i see him now with 20 years more insight and thought

i actually meant to compare twa and asbury to the bickerson's (and see who else would know the reference sans google) to avoid an implied threat, but then i thought it might be better not to correct any presumed threat since most the other mods hate them

2 hours ago, techboy said:

doesn't work with toddlers either

even immediate discipline doesn't work to the degree you'd like (sometimes not at all.) whole consequences and stuff.

which is super frustrating

2 hours ago, techboy said:

The solution posed in the article is building a positive personal relationship (I guess like joining the tribe). One of the people quoted was a climate scientist whose father didn't believe in Global Warming, and she made less than zero headway with him until she told him something like "I'm your daughter... Are you saying I'm lying to you?"

Of course, that's a lot harder than raging online.

how do you build a positive personal relationship with someone that's core of reasoning is:

you disagree with me therefore you are my enemy

i guess we lie to them to befriend them and then try to brainwash them back

could be fun

:)

Archived