Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scott McCloughan: Honest Evaluation and Contract Renewal

RedBeast

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was thinking about where to launch this but I figured this is a good starting point.  I won an auction which had me meet Scot McCloughan.  And I spent 2 hours with him last Friday and I learned a lot. I peppered him with questions. It was amazing.  He was a super cool dude.  And he took some of the mystery out of the operations for me.  It was clear to me listening to him -- he's last say on personnel even if others disagree.

Edit

Among his draft picks he thinks Scherff, Crowder, Cravens are pro bowl to be studs.  Doctson, too. And for a guy who hasn't been here long -- he's very into this team and its history.  Got him going on stuff like Dallas fans in the DMV, etc.  But yeah he comes off like us as if he's been a fan of this team forever (even though that's clearly not the case).  He talked about ultimately winning the Superbowl and when he said it, he said it with resolve -- it didn't come off like hollow feel good rhetoric.

First, awesome write-up! Thanks for the insight! Second, glad to see someone else on Charity Buzz! I also go to Biddingforgood.com a lot! Thanks for confirming what many of us suspected. Scot is the man! Glad he is on our side!

3 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

How is Doctson a ding?  He got injured.  Would Fowler, Jr. be a ding last year?

I don't think it's a ding on Doc, fans were screaming for DL help. If it was a D guy who has been hurt I don't think fans would have been upset. Our first round pick has had zero impact and we are a top 5 offense. 

Also, I could see the mystery of Doc's injury being frustrating for fans. A torn ACL to fowler last year was just a stab wound to the heart for Jag fans

3 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

I don't think it's a ding on Doc, fans were screaming for DL help. If it was a D guy who has been hurt I don't think fans would have been upset. Our first round pick has had zero impact and we are a top 5 offense. 

Also, I could see the mystery of Doc's injury being frustrating for fans. A torn ACL to fowler last year was just a stab wound to the heart for Jag fans

I still don't get it.  You said that the Doctson pick was a ding on GMSM.  I can see the argument for taking defense, but when you have Garcon and Jackson able to walk next year and now are having trouble in the red zone, the pick looks better.

Just now, NewCliche21 said:

I still don't get it.  You said that the Doctson pick was a ding on GMSM.  I can see the argument for taking defense, but when you have Garcon and Jackson able to walk next year and now are having trouble in the red zone, the pick looks better.

He is not saying he believes this to be true. He is saying others were and still are when given the chance. I could be reading this wrong but I believe @Hail2theSkins24 disagrees that it was a ding. Just pointing out that others were saying that.

As recently as 2 weeks ago there were a few very uninformed fans (that's the nicest way I can put it) saying they were not impressed with Scot. That he has pretty much just been maybe average if not a failure.

That was probably the most awesome series of posts on this board since I've been here, which is a decade+.

It looks like McLoughan volunteered that he thought that Jay had a good eye for talent.  I find it interesting that he didn't mention Joe Barry (or did he?).  I think an extremely underrated part of scouting is that it's not just the scouts who are important - the coaches need to be able to help identify guys that would fit their systems, and then need to be able to coach guys up.  I think that's a big reason why most of our "hits" in the draft and FA since 2008 (when Gregg Williams left) have been on the offensive side of the ball - we've had pretty good offensive coaching staffs over the years, but lackluster defensive staff since Gregg Williams left nearly a decade ago.  So I wonder whether or not he also feels good about Barry's eye for talent.

Did Barry come up at all in the conversation?  I'd be interested to know what McLoughan thinks about the criticism there.

Thanks as for some of the feedback here.   I work in politics for a living where I am used to a lot of BS talk and rhetoric and have opportunities to meet luminaries often and if anything I am jaded from that process and in turn not easily awestruck.  Even though, I've been a big Scot guy here from the get go, I really walked into it with no predispositions on the personality front -- I know from personal experience that public figures can come off quite different privately from the public persona.

So I was pretty relaxed and in a go with the flow mood during the meeting -- and by the time the meeting was over I was taken by how taken I was from the meeting.  And I am not easily taken. :)  I had the opportunity to watch Scot albeit in small doses with players, staff and even Jay for a moment -- he came off as a guy who is very easy to get along with but at the same time fun.  They all seemed to love him.   Jay seems to have the bigger rep for being easy going and fun and comes off more that way in press conferences I think than Scot does -- but behind the scenes with the cameras off, Scot is every bit as chill-laid back.   I've been a Jay critic his first year, since then I've been ok with him -- not totally sold yet but lean more positive than negative.   Talking to Scot I can see how those two hit it off personality wise.    Scot's private persona seems very similar to Jay's public persona -- laid back, loose but also intense at times and brutally honest. 

I didn't ask him about a ton of college players but of the ones I did -- he had ready answers and I got the feeling that if I pressed him further he could talk about any one of those players for half an hour.   I actually got to hear him talk to an Almuni player (one I didn't know, wasn't anyone major) and Scot was so fired up in conversation about making this team a Superbowl winner that it seemed like he made a believer of that guy, too.    And he was super cool with the alumni player, he told him if he wants to he can watch film with him, and he gave him his take about the team, etc. 

It's a cliche to say, Scot wants to make this team a Superbowl winner again but I wouldn't bother with a comment like that if he wasn't so intense about it.   It wasn't a boiler plate -- assure the masses type of remark.   He was showing my kids the old Redskins helmets from the past among other things.  He appreciated the history and it struck me that he keenly understood what it meant to bring all of that back to the city. 

As for draft building (that's the part of the conversation where he asked me to keep what he said in the room (and again it wasn't ground breaking stuff or that juicy but I understand why he wouldn't want me to post it around in writing) I'll just say this for the Scot critics and we got some on the board -- the critique I hear on occasion that he misses the boat about the team's weaknesses and oddly beefs up on positions of strength versus filling in every hole -- these people would be very reassured that's he's VERY aware of where the team is weak and strong and he could articulate it a mile better than his critics could.   I figure this point goes without saying. But every now and then I see something on that front where someone suggests that Scot has blinders on or blew it.    I am not saying Scot is above reproach but if he's not doing what you want -- trust me its not because he's oblivious to the team's weaknesses and needs education from anyone here.:ols:

7 minutes ago, ncr2h said:

That was probably the most awesome series of posts on this board since I've been here, which is a decade+.

It looks like McLoughan volunteered that he thought that Jay had a good eye for talent.  I find it interesting that he didn't mention Joe Barry (or did he?).  I think an extremely underrated part of scouting is that it's not just the scouts who are important - the coaches need to be able to help identify guys that would fit their systems, and then need to be able to coach guys up.  I think that's a big reason why most of our "hits" in the draft and FA since 2008 (when Gregg Williams left) have been on the offensive side of the ball - we've had pretty good offensive coaching staffs over the years, but lackluster defensive staff since Gregg Williams left nearly a decade ago.  So I wonder whether or not he also feels good about Barry's eye for talent.

Did Barry come up at all in the conversation?  I'd be interested to know what McLoughan thinks about the criticism there.

Not trying to be an ass here, but to be fair, he didn't mention Sean McVay either - unless SIP says otherwise as I clearly was not there. Is that also interesting? 

I think the point here is that my guess is that Jay gets feedback from his assistants then he talks with Scot. Him not talking about the Jays assistant coaches does not surprise me at all. Actually it makes perfect sense. Good chain of command. Shows he trusts Jays decisions on assistants.

Goskins10

I didn't ask about McVay so not sure about Scot's take.   I did get the overall vibe that he's happy with the team's direction and coaches are included in that mix.  I was eating lunch with him at Redskins park and I don't recall seeing McVay in the cafeteria.  I think Jay came up partly because he was sitting in a corner table nearby with his son.  Scot called him over to our table to introduce us, Jay took a photo with my kids and he asked them who their favorite player was, my son said Norman and Jay goofed and said that was a bad choice and then said he was kidding, my daughter said Crowder and he said that's a really good choice.  Scot then told my kids to aim to be really good people in life and said that guy pointing to Jay is a really good person.  Jay at that point was back at his table eating lunch with his son.    A few minutes later I told him the Redskins fans I know really respect Scot's decision making and Scot then gave some credit to his staff and said Jay too is a very good evaluator.  Though he got a kick out of telling me how he had to override Jay to draft Crowder.  Though I've heard him tell that same story publicly.    He lights up like Christmas Tree when talking about Scherff, Crowder, Cravens and Doctson. 

But yeah as for assistant coaches, the one that was around at the time was Greg Manusky who came to our table actually twice, super social guy.  Tress Way did as well who had fun with my kids.  

Edit:  I didn't get into Barry.  Just guessing on this front and that is I suspect considering he went out of his way to bring up Jay in being very good in player evaluation and not Barry that at the very least Barry isn't as engaged on that front -- but I could be dead wrong, that's just me extrapolating.  On the defensive front, my main comment is -- he's aware of what needs to be fixed and he's beyond just on it -- he comes off obsessively on it.  For those who think he might be overestimating what they have in the house and thus he hasn't covered up the holes -- its not the case, not even close.   And I was stunned about how honest he was on that front.  That's the biggest hint I can give as to the draft. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Goskins10

I didn't ask about McVay so not sure about Scot's take.   I did get the overall vibe that he's happy with the team's direction and coaches are included in that mix.  I was eating lunch with him at Redskins park and I don't recall seeing McVay in the cafeteria.  I think Jay came up partly because he was sitting in a corner table nearby with his son.  Scot called him over to our table to introduce us, Jay took a photo with my kids and he asked them who their favorite player was, my son said Norman and Jay goofed and said that was a bad choice and then said he was kidding, my daughter said Crowder and he said that's a really good choice.  

Edit

Edit:  I didn't get into Barry.  Just guessing on this front and that is I suspect considering he went out of his way to bring up Jay in evaluation and not Barry that at the very least Barry isn't as engaged on that front -- but I could be dead wrong, that's just me extrapolating.  On the defensive front, my main comment is -- he's aware of what needs to be fixed and he's beyond on it.  For those who think he might be overestimating what they have in the house and thus he hasn't covered up the holes -- its not the case, not even close.   And I was stunned about how honest he was on that front.  That's the biggest hint I can give as to the draft. 

Thanks for the additional info. I only brought up Sean to make the point there is really no reason for Scot to seek the counsel of the assistants. I would expect Jay to get that input then share with Scot. So it should be no more or less interesting that he did not mention Barry as it is that he didn't mention Sean. Jay is the HC and Barry is the DC that works for him as is Sean.

Had he continued after discussing Jay to bring up Sean but not Barry or the other way, then there might be some reason to think Scot has an issue with Barry. But that clearly did not happen.

2 hours ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

From what I saw, it had to do with FA busts (sure but he's countered with cheap, impactful acquisitions), Doctson pick (I could see the logic but definitely a ding at this point), and not hiring a good D coordinator! (When our D was bad). 

Those guys have been awfully quiet lately. Imagine if Doctson comes back next year and is just a freak, and we have another solid offseason/draft? We could be looking at a consistent contender for the next few years 

Thank you. This is not directed at you at all.

What FA busts? I mean we are the Washington Redskins, home of the 100 million dollar Albert Hanesworth free agent bust we all know a thing or two about free agent busts. To the people saying Scot's got free agent busts on his Redskins resume, who are they talking about?

Doctson pick jury is still out, or it should be for everyone. Why? The guy got hurt, that happens. When he was on the field he didn't look awful in fact he produced a little. We are not talking about Redskins Andre Johnson here, someone we took in the first round and next season was cut. Doctson flashed, he got hurt no one can predict injuries, and will be back. 

And for the record the entire draft process is a game of everyone is wrong. Example, Dak Prescott. If any of the 32 NFL teams thought Dak was going to be play like he has this season does anyone think that he would have lasted until the 4th round? No. When a player like that drops it means that all 32 teams were wrong about him and can not spot talent correctly. I listened to a podcast last night where Cecil Lammey from Football Guys and the Denver Broncos beat writer was talking about how John Elway said right after the draft that Dak was the backup plan if Lynch hadn't fallen to them in the first round and how he has heard since that Elway has privately admitted being wrong about that choice. 

The experts don't get it right, they are all wrong. Everyone is wrong. Even the Cowboys who drafted Elliot and Dak last year were wrong when they took a guy in the second round they knew would never play a down in 2016. They were wrong too. Even when some one thinks they know the right choice like all those people complaining about choosing Shereff over Leonard Williams, one top pick doesn't mean you would be any better off spotting talent then the professionals or make you right about anything. You would be wrong about the NFL draft too. Everyone is wrong about the NFL draft lol

To echo the FA post --- lets start with everyone misses on some FAs just like everyone misses on some draft picks.  And as for FA for the most part Scot works from the shallow end of the pool -- smaller money guys on short term contracts who are less likely to strike it big.  Even for those who feel compelled to criticize FA signings -- they'd have to admit that he's great at not saddling them with big long term contracts which result in lots of dead cap space.   The fiscal impact of FA is usually what crushes teams -- as opposed to failing on low cost players.

Josh Norman.  Then on the cheap:  Mason Foster, Will Blackmon, Vernon Davis, Ziggy Hood, RJF, Greg Toler. Ty Nseke.  And the team continues to do well with a next man up approach in spite of injuries.    We got plenty of cap room.  We got 10 picks next year.  Some like to say we are overestimating the job Scot has done by comparing him to Vinny.  My response to that is far from it -- the difference is vast and wide and on so many fronts -- its like comparing a ham sandwich to fillet minion. 

We've gone from being the team with one of the smallest allotment of draft picks to one of the most.

We've gone from arguably having C drafts to A drafts.  Heck even the 2014 draft is looking good -- they hired Scot's scouting service that year.  I recall Bruce being asked how did Scot's recommendations pan out (after he was hired) and he said very well.

They have gone from being in cap hell every year where Eric Schaffer had to rob Peter to pay Paul -- extending contracts and creating dead money in the future.  To being in great shape cap wise.

And within a season, they won a division and have gone on a winning stretch extending into this season that hasn't been matched since the glory years.

I get the point that Scot isn't the first GM ever to be right on EVERYTHING but it just strikes me odd for anyone to be unsatisfied.   If this isn't satisfying -- makes me wonder what would be satisfying?  If the idea is to find a GM who nails every low cost FA without some misses in that mix -- its not going to happen, so we'd just be howling at the moon.

Doc is not a zing, he's a skill player and they are prone to lower extremity injuries. Fuller, taking just before and the pick we traded for is basically limp right now. Houston is pressing him playing but he has a hammy> Basically, he needs to be shelved for 4-6 weeks, but they'll pressure him to play. I bet Doc comes back this year and we'll see a glimpse. 

Right now, Treadwell, Doc and Fuller all have yet to show true value. 

On 11/12/2016 at 4:11 PM, goskins10 said:

Thinks for the tip on biddingforgood.com, never knew about the site.  The Scot one wasn't via charitybuzz but directly from the foundation but I gather engaging with charitybuzz got me on the mailing list.   I don't know if you have a Redskins credit card but that one too sometimes gives off cool experiences. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thinks for the tip on biddingforgood.com, never knew about the site.  The Scot one wasn't via charitybuzz but directly from the foundation but I gather engaging with charitybuzz got me on the mailing list.   I don't know if you have a Redskins credit card but that one too sometimes gives off cool experiences. 

I have too many credit cards - so no on the Redskins one :) Might consider one though - thanks!

I have been able to get Suite tickets through Bidding For Good including other cool things like a round of golf with Alonzo Mourning, an awesome vacation in Panama at a place called Red Frog Island and golf weekends at Pinehurst. I find it a little more reasonable than Charitybuzz. But both of them you have to scour for the good things. Also, with Bidding, you have to really read the fine print. Some of the offers are really restrictive. Last thing - and I will move on - be careful of the online auctions that go to a live auction. Typically lose those every time.  

First off- Skinsinparadise, you're a hero. I didn't want those posts to end.

Secondly- when evaluating Scot, there's a correct answer and there's an incorrect answer, it's like a scantron. The correct answer is that he's done phenomenally- two years in and he's completely turned around this franchise in every facet, from the front office to the team confidence to the overall roster talent. To be in serious playoff contention two years in a row, something we haven't seen in decades, with the line graph of success on the up-and-up, makes it impossible to deny his positive affect and our need to keep him in the B&G. 

Awesome experience SIP, to say I'm jealous would be an understatement.  I'd love hear his take on how he thinks the Redskins are viewed around the league by other teams, other owners, other fanbases, etc. (Would I dare to ask what he thought of the officiating during the Bengals game? Or how Norman's been treated?)

My only concern from the side of the fans is that when Scott got here, we were SO talent depleted that almost ANYONE he picked would have improved our team.  And I don't mean that as a knock on the players he did pick.  But as we get better as a team, it will naturally become harder and harder to draft guys who can come in and immediately elevate the team from day 1.

I'm hoping fans stay realistic about this and don't expect every draft to have the same short term impact as our first one.  kind of like how if your severely overweight, the first 100 pounds are almost easier to lose than the last 5.  Our goal should be to reach a point where the draft should be for restocking our bench, and we don't have to worry about guys being sent out to play prematurely because we are so desperate at a certain position.

50 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

My only concern from the side of the fans is that when Scott got here, we were SO talent depleted that almost ANYONE he picked would have improved our team.  And I don't mean that as a knock on the players he did pick.  But as we get better as a team, it will naturally become harder and harder to draft guys who can come in and immediately elevate the team from day 1.

I'm hoping fans stay realistic about this and don't expect every draft to have the same short term impact as our first one.  kind of like how if your severely overweight, the first 100 pounds are almost easier to lose than the last 5.  Our goal should be to reach a point where the draft should be for restocking our bench, and we don't have to worry about guys being sent out to play prematurely because we are so desperate at a certain position.

That's the measure of success.  Instead of Day 1 impacts, it's weathering injuries and a seamless transition from a departure in FA or retirement.  It's planning for the future.

Josh Doctson was selected not just because he was talented, but because both Garcon and Jackson were on the last years of their contracts.  Likewise, it wouldn't shock me if we do something similar this draft.  OL in case we can't bring back Long/Moses or CB in case Breeland walks.  It'd be great if BPA meshed up perfectly with a spot where they could be a Day 1 impact.  But the FO (and I think wisely) wants to ensure talented areas stay talented no matter what.

To the most recent posts, I didn't directly ask so I'd just be guessing on some of those questions.   Other tid bits that hit me.

I talked to Bruce Allen for a few minutes and went into the schedule especially the upcoming combination of Sunday night and Thursday and it big time hit a nerve.  And them playing later on Monday and then Saturday   If I understood him right, he said he's written to the league about it.   

I didn't ask him how the Redskins are viewed around the league.  But as I said previously, it was striking how much of a fan this guy comes off of the franchise  considering he didn't get here that long ago.  He seemed to relish showing my kids around and talking a little Redskins history in the process -- he goes to my kids at the end -- HTTR for life, right?  The discussion went to Dallas fans in the DMV and it generated a look of disgust on his face -- which I thought was funny. 

I think that might have been my biggest surprise, I figured he'd be a bit of a mercenary since he's gone from club to club.  But yeah like I said previously, it was clear as day that he's very aware of what it would mean to bring this franchise back to glory.    The coolest part It came off like its not just a business assignment for him -- but he's totally wrapped into what it means to this franchise in the context of their history.   

These tidbits weren't from Scot but the host of the event -- Jay is a cool guy but all he wants to talk about is football and nothing else.  Chris Baker is as wild and jocular in the locker room as he is on camera.  Norman is a cool guy behind the scenes but livens up more on camera.  Cravens is very personable.  Bruce Allen though can come off businessy and formal on camera is big time laid back behind the scenes.  

The overall vibe you get is the chemistry in that club house -- players, coaches, GM is off the charts.  They add some pieces and they are headed to the big dance.  And if you go through my posting history, I am not some Pollyana  about this team -- I am more the optimist than not but I air plenty of gripes.  And I enjoyed getting some of them out to him among them:  losing prime time games at home, the Giants recent history of arrogance and outward expression of superiority over the Redskins, and I don't want to go back to the days of searching for a QB.  

The biggest take away is again he is a super cool guy and I understood after meeting him how his personality also serves as a useful weapon -- I could totally see for example the story I read about him sitting down with Galette and Galette just opened up to him.    After meeting him, I 100% trust his instincts in delving into players motivations.  It's not a perfect science and everyone makes mistakes but he's clearly to me well above average on this front -- conversely for example, Shanny is described by players as mostly a nice guy but a bit aloof and tough for players to relate to.  Cerrtao besides his bad judgment -- IMO comes off as to his media personality as a bit of goofy/phony politician -- and as many said Vinny was just an extension of Dan versus being a strong personality in his own right.  

Scot on the other hand, comes off as his own man -- like he knows what he wants and is determined to get it.  But at the same time, he has that gift of gab who easily connects with others.   That pretty much wraps up my layman's psychoanalysis. 

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I talked to Bruce Allen for a few minutes and went into the schedule especially the upcoming combination of Sunday night and Thursday and it big time hit a nerve.  And them playing later on Monday and then Saturday   If I understood him right, he said he's written to the league about it.   

That's awesome!  Glad to see they notice this kind of stuff too not just the fans!

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To the most recent posts, I didn't directly ask so I'd just be guessing on some of those questions.   Other tid bits that hit me.

I talked to Bruce Allen for a few minutes and went into the schedule especially the upcoming combination of Sunday night and Thursday and it big time hit a nerve.  

Jesus SiP!!! Allen too?!!...now you're just rubbin' it in!!1 ; ) lol way too cool!!!....any cheerleaders?  pics? did any cheerleaders ask about me??

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I didn't ask him how the Redskins are viewed around the league.  But as I said previously, it was striking how much of a fan this guy comes off of the franchise  considering he didn't get here that long ago.  He seemed to relish showing my kids around and talking a little Redskins history in the process -- he goes to my kids at the end -- HTTR for life, right?  The discussion went to Dallas fans in the DMV and it generated a look of disgust on his face -- which I thought was funny. 

LOVE IT!! He's doing what he loves...I'd imagine that in itself makes him a "kid" at heart..he'll be a Skin for life...I mean who can resist US?!!...HTTR!!!

LOL, yeah as for Bruce Allen it was only for like 2 minutes.  Seemed like a cool guy but can't make a judgment on such a tiny sample.  With Scot, I feel pretty confident after 2 hrs.  It's not like Scot comes off as some sort of saint -- but he comes off as a guys guy -- easy going, funny, cool -- fun guy to have a beer with.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

LOL, yeah as for Bruce Allen it was only for like 2 minutes.  Seemed like a cool guy but can't make a judgment on such a tiny sample.  With Scot, I feel pretty confident after 2 hrs.  It's not like Scot comes off as some sort of saint -- but he comes off as a guys guy -- easy going, funny, cool -- fun guy to have a beer with.

i can see that...anytime i hear him interviewin' on the radio he seems exactly like you said...no fluff with that guy...you can hear the excitement in his tone...i'd go crash a party with him...

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So if I sum you up, you've met:

Scott, Jay, Bruce, Compton, seen Baker, Craven's, Norman, Manusky, Tress Way playing with your kids...

And you didn't even managed to grab us a pic of our TK guy???? Or any of our mods around here? Where's the Zoony pic? Jumbo?

Come on!!!

You failed miserabily on here! That was the most important information and you didn't got it...

Side Note: I would have loved discussed for two hours about draft strategy and stuff with him, so I can just knock GHH and everyone else in next year's ES Mock Draft. (I'll make sure that you are forbidden from participating in it!)

To the post above  -- yeah meeting the mods or Scot McCloughan? Tough call!  :)

Actually I didn't meet Baker, Cravens and Norman I just learned a little about them via conversations.  I did watch some of Friday's practice though so if that counts I saw everyone.  That's where my tour started and where I talked to Bruce for a couple of minutes and initially met Scot.   As for the draft, I talked plenty with him about it but more from the frame work of the roster.   I hit roster-draft with him more than anything.  But that's the part he told me stays in the room.  I thought it was so cool of him to have a conversation with me where it hit the turf of "this stays here".  I didn't expect that to happen.  But the dude was so cool and I am a loyal enough of a fan that I don't plan to break my word to him on that.   I spend a lot of time on the draft thread usually during the year, and yes I watch film on draftbreakdown and watch Path to the Draft and every draft program like its a religion -- all I can say is take my word for this, the dude already has seen many of the top prospects in person and already knows 10,000 times more than anything we will know about these prospects.  I didn't really hit him with a ton of players but every player I did, he was totally on.   And like I said previously, he told me he already has a command of the top 60 prospects.   The best hint I can give is of the few critics of Scot on the board they usually zone in on 3 things.  1.  Scot is oblivious of the teams weaknesses, he has inflated views of this position or that position.  For those that think that -- you'd be very reassured that you are dead wrong on that front.   2.  Brandon Scherff versus Leonard Williams and he blew it by taking Scherff.  He LOVES Scherff and he thinks he will be one of the top guards in the league.  I didn't ask him about it in the context of Williams.  But his favorite player to tout was Scherff.    3.  Great GMs don't make mistakes, they nail every pick, every signing.   He said he will make mistakes -- who doesn't?    

Edit:  I'd add my photo of Scott with myself, my kids and brother in law who were there but I got it in high resolution, and am having a hard time lowering the res to post.

Archived