Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's good to "have a Kirk" at QB???

Renegade7

Should we stay a pass first team going forward this season?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Stay a pass first team in 2016???

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I still and have always preferred run first, play defense and punt the ball. I just think it's much easier to be the Broncos than an New England clone without Tom Brady. 

That's what I thought Scott was shooting for at first, a very physical football team.  Remember when when we used to run the ball even if we couldn't get good yardage because that's who we were?

You're right, its much harder to find a HOF QB then it is to get rest of your team at a state of constant striking distance with the RIGHT QB.

I don't think it will matter until something is changed on Defense.  There is so much pressure on the offense to score EVERY possession because they know the defense will not be able to stop anyone.  I think Kirk is trying to force things too much and is not playing relaxed like he did the last half of last season.  He may be putting way to much pressure on himself and trying to live up to $19mil may be part of the issue.

They need to get him to relax, stop forcing things and just take what the defense is giving them.  This loss sucks, but not ready to give up on Kirk yet.

We need to pass and keep on passing the rest of the season. Find out for sure what you have in cousins. You're paying him $19mil, might as well get our money's worth of arm reps out of him. 

We aren't asking him to do too much either. We didn't lose because he was throwing 89 passes in 2 weeks. We lost because he airmailed 4 would-be TDs and threw a disgusting INT in the endzone. 

Carry on my wayward son. There'll be peace when you are done 

7 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

We need to pass and keep on passing the rest of the season. Find it for sure what you have in cousins. You're paying him $19mil, might as well get our money's worth of arm reps out of him. 

We aren't asking him to do too much either. We didn't lose because he was throwing 89 passes in 2 weeks. We lost because he airmailed 4 would-be TDs and threw a disgusting INT in the endzone. 

We need to pass and keep on passing the rest of the season. Find it for sure what you have in cousins. You're paying him $19mil, might as well get our money's worth of arm reps out of him. 

Agree with this 100%.

If the ship's gonna go down let it go down doing what it does best: throw the crap out of the football.

Sorry, Colt McCoy is NOT a solution. Good backup, that's about it.

This is part of the reason why we NEVER have a good QB.

As soon as a guy is struggling, **** it cut him trade him release him bench him.

Griffin had issues far worse than a few years would fix; Cousins has the tools, the problem is between his ears; that can be fixed, over time, but getting rid of him puts us right back at square 1.

We get a new QB, he starts out slow but gets better, then struggles and then the pitchforks are out again.

TOM BRADYS DON'T GROW ON TREES. AARON RODGERS AREN'T A DIME A DOZEN.  Grooming a QB is the best chance; we have the tools now for him, now we need a solid dependable RB and an o-line who can actually perform like an o-line. Sorry but there's no RB on this roster worth a ****; you know it and I know it and Cousins knows it; does he have problems? yes, but he needs time to get through them.

I don't wanna keep grabbing QBs outta the draft or trade and go through this crap anymore; until we have an o-line worthy and a few backs who can actually run behind a blocking o-line, there's not much one can do; even if Cousins connected and won the game, the next week you'd all be in the same boat again once he couldn't do it.

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Oh look Luck gets sacked, stripped, and returned for a TD when all they needed was a TD to win the game in less than 2 mins. Luck is getting paid way more than Cousins. 

Not defending Kirk here but I still think Kirk has room to grow and if he wants a nice contract next year he will need to step up his game. Maybe our D will get it together in couple of weeks and they can help keep the score down of the opposing team and Kirk can light it up and be in the playoffs. I know crazy talk here... and at this time it doesn't seem like it can be true.

But for me, I really like to wait for all 16 classes to be completed before I can give out a grade. 

:815:

How much more growing does he need?  Kirk will be 29 next season and just maybe what we see is what he actually is.

Hail Em Up!

6 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

As soon as a guy is struggling, **** it cut him trade him release him bench him.

Griffin had issues far worse than a few years would fix; Cousins has the tools, the problem is between his ears; that can be fixed, over time, but getting rid of him puts us right back at square 1.

We get a new QB, he starts out slow but gets better, then struggles and then the pitchforks are out again.

TOM BRADYS DON'T GROW ON TREES. AARON RODGERS AREN'T A DIME A DOZEN.  Grooming a QB is the best chance; we have the tools now for him, now we need a solid dependable RB and an o-line who can actually perform like an o-line. Sorry but there's no RB on this roster worth a ****; you know it and I know it and Cousins knows it; does he have problems? yes, but he needs time to get through them.

I don't wanna keep grabbing QBs outta the draft or trade and go through this crap anymore; until we have an o-line worthy and a few backs who can actually run behind a blocking o-line, there's not much one can do; even if Cousins connected and won the game, the next week you'd all be in the same boat again once he couldn't do it.

My bottom line is I want results and not the proverbial he's still developing mantra.  **** that!

Hail Em Up!

3 hours ago, campbellcooleyconnection said:

Sad thing is I'd take Fitzpatrick over Kirk in a second.Hes a gamer.

That's fun to say, but last December Fitzpatrick threw up all over himself with a shot to make the playoffs. I believe it was about a week after Cousins threw 3-4 TDs on the road to win the division. 

I'm concerned, don't get me wrong. But we just don't know how this is going to pan out yet. He's got 14 more games and I don't believe we have a better option on the roster (Cousins did things last year McCoy just can't do), so why not see what happens. I would make some changes around him soon because at 0-2 the future isn't now. Re-configure the OL, maybe see what we can do running the ball more regularly, etc. 

12 minutes ago, arftech said:

How much more growing does he need?  Kirk will be 29 next season and just maybe what we see is what he actually is.

Hail Em Up!

My bottom line is I want results and not the proverbial he's still developing mantra.  **** that!

Hail Em Up!

We all do, but we can't keep getting new QBs every time one of them struggles. QB play is the easiest of our problems to correct; o-line and RB and don't even get me started with the defense, Barry is officially on the clock now with me.

This isn't about Cousins sucking or being horrible.  This is about a QB who turned down very good money from this organization in the offseason and bet on himself performing at the level of a Top 10 QB in the league.  He and his agent called the organization's bluff and said "Go ahead and tag me, I will bank that 20 million, and then you'll owe me ever more after 2016"  That is all good, and if he performs like a Top 10 QB, then by all means he will get every penny he is asking for.

So far though, his value is decreasing. In fact, the argument could be made that with his current performance, he may end up making more in this single season than any future contract period. (Factoring in how contracts in the NFL are structured).  

The "Cousins is still developing" era is over.  He wants the big money after this year, so he should be scrutinized and held accountable when he misses plays and botches plays that the elite QB's make.

2 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

It's too bad he really does seem mentally weak.. That's half the battle and something that is practically impossible to win w/o.. I predict once we lose another game or two, and all expectation and pressure is off, then he'll start looking good again.. Would of been great to find a real stud in the 4th round, but we're the Redskins.. :/

And that is why I just picked him up off the waiver wire in my FF league. Buying low, hoping he pulls it together between the ears. He is certainly being given the opportunities. Just needs to make the most of them as he did last year. 

3 hours ago, arftech said:

Hail Em Up!

Hail Em Up!

Developing in the sense that this is technically his 2 year starting and not age wise. The money part you have to overlook since it was contract year and the Skins had no choice but to tag him after the performance he had last year and no way they were going to select a QB in the draft. Let's just wait and see if he can backup his mouth and his talent to a bigger contract. I am not happy with what happened on the field but I am more upset about our D instead though. 

3 hours ago, skins island connection said:

We all do, but we can't keep getting new QBs every time one of them struggles. QB play is the easiest of our problems to correct; o-line and RB and don't even get me started with the defense, Barry is officially on the clock now with me.

If Kirk keeps playing like this than he's gone, it's that simple. I understand you like the guy and that's fine but you can't complain about fans being unreasonable when you refuse to accept any criticism of him. Sticking with the status quo simply for the sake of continuity is not going to work if Kirk just plays like crap. 

In game coaching sucks, playcalling sucks on both sides of the ball, no running game, can't tackle, allow a 90 yards drive to a rookie QB to essentially end the game, BUT it's the QB who moved the ball all game that is the problem. Kirk can't make a mistake or they lose and somehow that = responsibility for the loss.

I agree with the previous post.  Let him throw it all over the place.  Jackson, Garcon, Crowder, Reed, and now Doctson and Davis.  It's like the ****ing Santa Claus' raindeer list of receivers. "On Donner, on Blitzen..."

We've got the guys to throw it to and he needs to prove that he can make it happen.  Let him rip it all over the field, win by it and die by it.  They can't run it and that's fine...even though Jones has shown to be a bit more physical this year.  

10 hours ago, SkinInsite said:

QB that needs grooming don't need to be paid like he's already elite.

Agree. Also, QBs that have such little confidence in themselves that they refer to themselves as a "work in progress" don't turn down long term deals with large guaranteed money to ask for more money.

This whole work in progress thing is annoying. Likely just greasing the track of excuses and blame shifting for himself for the mistakes he knows he will make. Good call on his part I guess judging by the first two weeks 

10 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Really - "easiest of our problems to correct"? When is the last time the Redskins had an elite QB?

19 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

In game coaching sucks, playcalling sucks on both sides of the ball, no running game, can't tackle, allow a 90 yards drive to a rookie QB to essentially end the game, BUT it's the QB who moved the ball all game that is the problem. Kirk can't make a mistake or they lose and somehow that = responsibility for the loss.

He missed on four potential TD passes in this game and then threw a backbreaking interception inside the red zone. These excuses work if those situations never happen. 

6 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

If Kirk keeps playing like this than he's gone, it's that simple. I understand you like the guy and that's fine but you can't complain about fans being unreasonable when you refuse to accept any criticism of him. Sticking with the status quo simply for the sake of continuity is not going to work if Kirk just plays like crap. 

Yes I like kirk and hope he gets through this, but he's just like any other QB; if they can't cut it then get rid of them. I have no loyalty to him particularly, but this organization will NEVER have a decent QB if we're ready to cut or trade him after a sluggish start.

He played poorly today, and yes he left a lot of points on the field, but the d-line was inept, the running game never took off, defense looked confused, and adjustments are rarely made until its too late.

All I'm saying is lets all just calm down a bit; lets see where the team goes from here. We're nowhere near being out of anything, its a slow start, rust, field vision and depth perception are issues right now, so lets see where Gruden goes from here. KC has the tools to be a good QB, he's shown it in the past, lets not get the pitchforks out just yet. If he doesn't improve, then most likely he will not be here next year, but putting colt in is giving up on the season and KC, and its too early for that.

9 minutes ago, Mr_ Skinshead said:

Really - "easiest of our problems to correct"? When is the last time the Redskins had an elite QB?

Its been a long time. Between poor choices at QB, poor coaching, no o-line, no receivers, etc, there have been a number of reasons.

But the glaring one is when one comes along and regresses any, they're benched or cut. Its only been 1 year since KC has been given the keys. Some fans give up too quickly on their QB when times are not good. Lets just wait and see what happens down the line before calling for his head.

SIC

-Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up on the 8 car just yet. It seems like the things he's missing on are very easy to correct. A yard here or there and we're 1-1 and the season isn't as bad as it seems right now. I do think he can get things turned around and right the ship but if he doesn't this thing is going to sink fast. 

Cousins has played small in big moments. 

But the idea of benching him for McCoy is just an overreaction. With Griffin and Cousins, there was an argument to be had. They were both young and possible big time future talents. Changing quarterbacks simply made sense. 

With Kirk and Colt, you don't have that same circumstance. Alternating them is not a good strategy. You alienate Cousins and leave your starting quarterback as McCoy moving forward (assuming the Rook doesn't blossom). If McCoy bombs, you've now alienated Kirk and you don't have an option in Colt. That leaves you only with the rookie and a need to spend resources on the QB position. 

Kirk is the quarterback. There is no other choice at the moment. He's been disappointing, but to be honest I think people expected WAY too much from him to begin with. We have no running game to speak of (due to play calling, blocking and running). That really makes things incredibly difficult to navigate.

Short version: Kirk hasn't been good. But we can't just go changing QBs now with as many holes as this roster has. Expectations must be adjusted.

10 hours ago, skins island connection said:

I agree with most of your post but one part. The Oline did their job yesterday! They did a great job for the most part. Cousins had plenty of time and the run game was there if they called more plays. Jones was showing patience and held onto the ball. I think someone else said they were getting an average of 5 yds a play. Just like Cousins should not be expected to be Rogers or Brady, Jones in his 2nd year should not be expected to be Adrian Peterson.

Any talk of benching Cousins for McCoy is not the answer at all. Cousins has the ability he just seems to be pressing. Having said that, yesterdays game was 100% on Kirk Cousins. He missed several golden opportunities that as an NFL QB you can't miss - especially not all of them!

We need to let these young guys (in Cousins case young in terms of this just being his 2nd yr as a starter) learn their way. There will be growing pains. It doesn't make it suck any less!!

3 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

He missed on four potential TD passes in this game and then threw a backbreaking interception inside the red zone. These excuses work if those situations never happen. 

Not leaving Kirk blameless, just saying that trying to pin this one on him is ridiculous.  The passing game is the ONLY thing working on the entire team.

13 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

This isn't about Cousins sucking or being horrible.  This is about a QB who turned down very good money from this organization in the offseason and bet on himself performing at the level of a Top 10 QB in the league.  He and his agent called the organization's bluff and said "Go ahead and tag me, I will bank that 20 million, and then you'll owe me ever more after 2016"  That is all good, and if he performs like a Top 10 QB, then by all means he will get every penny he is asking for.

So far though, his value is decreasing. In fact, the argument could be made that with his current performance, he may end up making more in this single season than any future contract period. (Factoring in how contracts in the NFL are structured).  

The "Cousins is still developing" era is over.  He wants the big money after this year, so he should be scrutinized and held accountable when he misses plays and botches plays that the elite QB's make.

Well if he doesn't improve appreciably then we did the right thing.  However I have a lot of faith in him and I think by mid year this offense will be elite with him at QB.  However our D is the main issue, we are not going to win a lot of games if they don't at least become serviceable.  Look at NE the past few years, their O and QB are great but they are a loosing team because of that D.

Archived