Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's good to "have a Kirk" at QB???

Renegade7

Should we stay a pass first team going forward this season?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Stay a pass first team in 2016???

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think too many people are defending Kirk's play including myself.  My point is our over reliance on it.     Just to run with the point about Kirk struggling.  Matt Jones looked fine.  Running game was working when used.   To use a baseball analogy, if you have a struggling pitcher, you usually don't put more on their plate but take stuff off their plate or pull them out versus doubling down on it.   To throw the ball for about a 3:1 ratio is in Tom Brady territory where Belichick is thinking yeah we are imbalanced but stop us anyway -- you can't because I have the best QB in the league.   Throwing the ball like mad is the occasional thing that some head coaches do when either you playing from way behind or the QB is hot.  Neither point IMO was in play yesterday.  There was nothing in that game IMO that warranted throwing the ball like mad.

I don't disagree with anything you said. I would have liked to see us run more yesterday, especially in the RZ - 1st and goal from the 5 or 6 and we get 2 fades and an int. So from a week to week strategy I agree. We should not rely on Kirk as much.

But my point is that in yesterdays game, had he just made one or two of some very, very easy plays to make, it would not have mattered. He had the game in his hands several times and he didn't get the job done. He has to be one of the playmakers. He was in position and coughed up a fur ball!

On a positive note I thought Jones ran about as well as he has as a Redskin outside that freak game early last year. He was patient, looked for the blocks, and was decisive when he hit it. He also shed some tackles getting some extra yards - something I had not seen him do yet. Best of all he held onto the ball. On another positive note the Oline looked almost like a good line. A few lapses but overall they held up pretty well.

15 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Agree. Also, QBs that have such little confidence in themselves that they refer to themselves as a "work in progress" don't turn down long term deals with large guaranteed money to ask for more money.

This whole work in progress thing is annoying. Likely just greasing the track of excuses and blame shifting for himself for the mistakes he knows he will make. Good call on his part I guess judging by the first two weeks 

I've been putting this off but I'm just growing extremely tired of people mentioning the work in progress thing as if they never actually read or heard the entire quote. 

So here it is. First off, the context of it. He was asked about Jay stating he's a work in progress, to which he replied: 

“I think I’ll always be,” Cousins said. “I don’t think that Year 16, if you’re fortunate enough to play that long, I don’t think you feel like you’ve had it figured out. When I asked Tom Brady after the game last year, ‘When did it click for you?’ In a sense, I asked him, ‘When were you no longer a work in progress?’ His answer was what I would echo here, and that it’s still clicking. You’ve never figured it out. You’ve never arrived. The minute you think you have is probably when you’re going to be gone. I’m going to keep working, keep going, and I understand that. I think I’ll always view myself as a work in progress, and I think that’s how other people can view it too.”

I mean, how is that even remotely a problem? 

Also, and this isn't directed at you, but if anyone was paying any attention to the practice videos this past week (mostly on twitter), they'd have seen Doctson was killing it everyday on those fades. There was like two of them everyday coming out where he'd make it look so easy. 

So the whole "those idiots threw fades to a guy who barely practiced" thing is way overblown. Seemed like they've been practicing it and have been successful with it in practice. It didn't translate, unfortunately, so they look stupid now but there was some strategy behind it. 

There are plenty of legit criticisms right now about Cousins' performance thus far. He's not showing the patience in the pocket he was in the past. He seems too anxious. He's missing guys who are wide open. His mechanics are off too often. 

But these other things people are throwing out there just sound like they come out of anger that's generating irrational thought. 

Archived