Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's good to "have a Kirk" at QB???

Renegade7

Should we stay a pass first team going forward this season?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Stay a pass first team in 2016???

12 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Not leaving Kirk blameless, just saying that trying to pin this one on him is ridiculous.  The passing game is the ONLY thing working on the entire team.

It's working because we are throwing it so much. It would be damn near impossible for it not to work based on the volume of passes.

He is going to move the ball and put up yards but on the key plays that are there to be made, in this game, plays that any regular QB could make, he failed. That is what decided the game.  

9 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Look at NE the past few years, their O and QB are great but they are a loosing team because of that D.

Lost in AFC title game, won Super Bowl and lost in AFC title game. 

I'd take that defense any day. Your point is not incorrect just probably not the best example

15 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Kirk could have won the game, but he didn't lose it.  The Skins defense is making every QB look like a HOFer.  So tired of the bend but don't break strategy.

yeah, very true.  Cowboys lead by a ROOKIE QB  had three drives over 75 yards? Maybe more. that's inexcusable. 

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

Not leaving Kirk blameless, just saying that trying to pin this one on him is ridiculous.  The passing game is the ONLY thing working on the entire team.

Nothing ridiculous about blaming this one on Kirk. The rest of the team did enough to win. Were they great? No way. Is there room for improvement? Of course. But on this day, he had the game in his hands almost a 1/2 dozen times and did not do his job.

Most people will call out the run game - over 5 yds carry. They did enough to keep the D honest so Kirk could get the ball to the playmakers. And they will say the D. Yes the D was like a sieve in the first half, but they did keep forcing them into FGs. And late in the game when we had a lead they produced a 3 and out that the Off squandered. They also gave them a very short field on a TO that yielded only 3 pts. STs also gave them a short field (more a dallast mistake, but still) and it produced only 3 pts. Then he finally does hit a guy that's so wide open even though he threw it 10 yds short, Doctson still got to it. The drive ends up in a Cousins int in the EZ! 

Last week was an epic team fail. Hardly anyone on the team did their job including the coaches. But this week, it is squarely on Kirk Cousins. 

5 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

SIC

-Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up on the 8 car just yet. It seems like the things he's missing on are very easy to correct. A yard here or there and we're 1-1 and the season isn't as bad as it seems right now. I do think he can get things turned around and right the ship but if he doesn't this thing is going to sink fast. 

I think we're on the same page, or boat.

Timing. His timing is off, and his anticipation does lead him astray , and he even mentioned it during the locker room interview.

Only thing I can attribute this to is lack of playing time in preseason or lack of attention during camp; either way, it will come back to him and we'll be on fire once again.

Yea, it sucks that we can't start out on fire, but hopefully he gets over this and we start winning; if not, then the door is his only choice.

57 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

I think we're on the same page, or boat.

Timing. His timing is off, and his anticipation does lead him astray , and he even mentioned it during the locker room interview.

Only thing I can attribute this to is lack of playing time in preseason or lack of attention during camp; either way, it will come back to him and we'll be on fire once again.

Yea, it sucks that we can't start out on fire, but hopefully he gets over this and we start winning; if not, then the door is his only choice.

I am in general agreement. But the idea that 12 to 15 plays in preseason against defenses not game planning makes any difference now just does not hold water. Maybe, just maybe the first game. But by now any time lost will have been made up in practice and the first complete game. If he needed more than the 12 to 15 plays in preseason would not have been enough.

I personally think he is feeling the pressure more than he thought he would and more than he has through his career here or at college and is pressing - trying to hard. But he is a very introspective person who I believe will come out of this funk. The question is will it be in time. Outside of injury he should have the rest of the year to try. 

1st and goal inside the 5 and three straight passes. Dumb. Whether it was the self-promoting boy wonder or Gruden who called those plays, that was just stupid. And for the love of all that's sane and holy, there are some Ds against which you CANNOT run slow-developing run plays. They did that nonsense last year against Dallas. Geez!

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Nothing ridiculous about blaming this one on Kirk. The rest of the team did enough to win. Were they great? No way. Is there room for improvement? Of course. But on this day, he had the game in his hands almost a 1/2 dozen times and did not do his job.

Most people will call out the run game - over 5 yds carry. They did enough to keep the D honest so Kirk could get the ball to the playmakers.

Did enough to keep the defense honest?  It was almost a 3:1 pass to run ratio.  Cowboys ran almost twice as much as the Redskins did.

Kirk's accuracy and decision making was shaky. But the game was all on him IMO -- I don't see how the running game kept the Dallas d honest, even Jay seem to acknowledge that after the game. 

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Did enough to keep the defense honest?  It was almost a 3:1 pass to run ratio.  Cowboys ran almost twice as much as the Redskins did.

Kirk's accuracy and decision making was shaky. But the game was all on him IMO -- I don't see how the running game kept the Dallas d honest, even Jay seem to acknowledge that after the game. 

I never said they couldn't or shouldn't have run more. I would like a better balance too. However, their D was not breathing down Kirk's throat. They did enough to keep them from just teeing of on pass. He had plenty of time most of the day.

Kirk had quite a few opportunities to win that game and blew it. It should never have been close. There are other areas of the team that need work, but yesterday was on one Kirk Cousins. He missed throws that a starting NFL QB just can't miss, and badly too. Not just one or two, but at least 4 or 5 times when it could have changed the outcome of the game.

People can keep defending him all they want. But I watched the game. I know what I saw. I like Kirk and believe he can get it together. I certainly do not think benching him for McCoy is a good idea. It's the worst possible thing you could do right now. But the fact is he **** the bed yesterday and it cost the team a win. He knows, the team knows it, the coaches know it and if the fans are being honest in their assessment they know it too.

22 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

That's a fair way of saying we need more balance, I'll accept that and what I want.  This pass first crap has to stop, I hated the stance when posters were defending it, and I hate it now.

Unless you're planning on changing the HC any time soon it is what it is. 

We knew this when we signed off on him. 

Hail. 

22 hours ago, chrisxcore said:

Forget Kirk. Dude just doesn't have it. As much as we all want to pretend he does.

Start Colt for the foreseeable future on a cheap deal. He can at least hold the fort down for a year or two.

Continue building the roster - which seems like a tall order at the moment.

Insert starting QB when the the front office feels the roster is close.

I am honestly out of ideas. Nothing works.

When you franchise a QB and pay him $19-20 million dollars..........he will not get benched, maybe the last 2-3 games at best, most likely not.  Colt starting does not benefit the team and Colt starting next year does not as well.  

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Unless you're planning on changing the HC any time soon it is what it is. 

We knew this when we signed off on him. 

Hail. 

That's tough, because last year prior to Kirk taking off, you could tell were doing our best to run the ball no matter what.  We didn't beat anyone with a winning record while Kirk was going off, so it would help Kirk so much to be a power running team that could annihilate people with play action, but looks like that plan has been scrapped for cutness.

Am I the only one a little peeved we did all those fades prior to the game ending interception?  We can't keep doing this, I know the talent screams pass more then run, but we our killing ourselves doing that.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

I never said they couldn't or shouldn't have run more. I would like a better balance too. However, their D was not breathing down Kirk's throat. They did enough to keep them from just teeing of on pass. He had plenty of time most of the day.

Kirk had quite a few opportunities to win that game and blew it. It should never have been close.

I don't think too many people are defending Kirk's play including myself.  My point is our over reliance on it.     Just to run with the point about Kirk struggling.  Matt Jones looked fine.  Running game was working when used.   To use a baseball analogy, if you have a struggling pitcher, you usually don't put more on their plate but take stuff off their plate or pull them out versus doubling down on it.   To throw the ball for about a 3:1 ratio is in Tom Brady territory where Belichick is thinking yeah we are imbalanced but stop us anyway -- you can't because I have the best QB in the league.   Throwing the ball like mad is the occasional thing that some head coaches do when either you playing from way behind or the QB is hot.  Neither point IMO was in play yesterday.  There was nothing in that game IMO that warranted throwing the ball like mad.

I have no problem with our pass to run ratio. We should have ran the ball a couple times on our trips to the red zone but otherwise I'm good with being a pass first second third option kind of offense.

Well again, if he connects on a couple of those early TDs he missed, we are probably sitting on a nice lead and can run more. When our strength is passing and we have a $20mil arm, passing the football as long as the game is still being decided should be our main focus 

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I have no problem with our pass to run ratio. We should have ran the ball a couple times on our trips to the red zone but otherwise I'm good with being a pass first second third option kind of offense.

Well again, if he connects on a couple of those early TDs he missed, we are probably sitting on a nice lead and can run more. When our strength is passing and we have a $20mil arm, passing the football as long as the game is still being decided should be our main focus 

Dude, money has nothing to do with this.  Why people keep saying this is beyond me, but it has zero affect on KC's struggles. Some may say that maybe he's putting pressure on himself to perform better because he got this money, but he already has it; why would he worry over spilled milk when he owns a cow?

Its just his depth perception needs work, and better field vision; he will get through this, but the team, and fans, cannot turn their backs on him. He depends on players' confidence just as players depend on him.

Next week the storyline might read giants win close game 38-35, but the defense won't be mentioned, it will be all about how KC couldn't put the game winning drive together for whatever reason, when the defense continually gives up ass-loads of yardage and scores.

1 minute ago, skins island connection said:

Dude, money has nothing to do with this.  Why people keep saying this is beyond me, but it has zero affect on KC's struggles. Some may say that maybe he's putting pressure on himself to perform better because he got this money, but he already has it; why would he worry over spilled milk when he owns a cow?

Its just his depth perception needs work, and better field vision; he will get through this, but the team, and fans, cannot turn their backs on him. He depends on players' confidence just as players depend on him.

Next week the storyline might read giants win close game 38-35, but the defense won't be mentioned, it will be all about how KC couldn't put the game winning drive together for whatever reason, when the defense continually gives up ass-loads of yardage and scores.

Where did I say money was the problem? 

I said we are paying him a bunch and talent is in our passing game so we should be passing a ton regarding the run/pass ratio 

On 9/18/2016 at 4:56 PM, Renegade7 said:

Dude is totally thinking about that franchise tag more then just doing his job.  He did that to himself, so does that mean he needs a vote of confidence from the front office that he still has a home here if he wants it?  I do believe if we try to replace him this year, it will be too early, and we'll destory the new guy instead of getting them a team first that they can grow into versus being in same mindset as Kirk; desperate.

I don't think he needs a vote of confidence. I feel like last year he turned it around when there was literally nothing else to lose. I mean we were down 24-0 early in the Bucs game staring down the barrel of a lost season and it's like he just channeled his inner sexy rexy and said, "**** it, I'm going deep." And he balled out ever since. 

It's like he went back to that insecure guy that he was at the beginning of the year when he was trying to overanalyze and overthink everything. I think we were all hoping he'd take what he learned last year and a whole offseason and just continue to progress. Not saying he won't but he's certainly regressed so far. 

Here's what I will say about Kirk though: look at the postgame Quotes and Notes in the Stadium. Mop up duty or not, this guy throws 300 yard games at a 65% completion rate like it's breathing air. Again, I get some of the situations but what we have is certainly no Case Keenum. Cousins has shown he can be very successful and I think at some point this year he will find his mojo. I think the Giants have to be the favorites right now easily and maybe it will be too little too late. But I think Cousins has a lot in him, I just don't know if the mental/confidence part is always going to click for him and right now he still needs that. Hopefully he turns it on because when he does, last year was proof he can be as good as anyone in the league. Right now he's bottom 10. 

16 minutes ago, moondog said:

I don't think he needs a vote of confidence. I feel like last year he turned it around when there was literally nothing else to lose. I mean we were down 24-0 early in the Bucs game staring down the barrel of a lost season and it's like he just channeled his inner sexy rexy and said, "**** it, I'm going deep." And he balled out ever since. 

But I think Cousins has a lot in him, I just don't know if the mental/confidence part is always going to click for him and right now he still needs that. Hopefully he turns it on because when he does, last year was proof he can be as good as anyone in the league. Right now he's bottom 10. 

I believe you may be right.  Vote of confidence was more an idea of getting him back exactly that: confidence.  I'll say the Tampa Bay game was a vote of confidence because Gruden had every right to pull Cousins before he went off, but he didn't.  I don't think he's in threat of losing his job, and his stat sheet is showing he still can move the chains.  I do believe someone needs to tell him that we won't just give up on him if he isn't an all-pro QB.  Either publicly or privately, kill the noise, and do your job, the rest will take care of itself.

On 9/18/2016 at 2:47 PM, chrisxcore said:

Forget Kirk. Dude just doesn't have it. As much as we all want to pretend he does.

Start Colt for the foreseeable future on a cheap deal. He can at least hold the fort down for a year or two.

Continue building the roster - which seems like a tall order at the moment.

Insert starting QB when the the front office feels the roster is close.

I am honestly out of ideas. Nothing works.

Colt could be the next NFL Fitzpatrick but we have D ranked coaching staff

24 minutes ago, coloradokid7 said:

Colt could be the next NFL Fitzpatrick but we have D ranked coaching staff

There are a lot of issues on our team and often times we like to point to the coaching staff. I'm not saying you're completely wrong but at the same time the coaches were doing at least some things right against Dallas. The back to back fades were not ideal, imo, but at the same time they had receivers running all over the field open all day and Cousins missed them. We left a lot of points on the board that were almost exclusively Cousins' fault. I'm not saying we have genius coaches but they must be doing something right schemewise to have guys open all the time. Once Barry finally started having Norman follow Bryant around the defense looked much more solid.

The coaches had every right to believe Breeland would be a stud. Hell, I bet 95% of us thought Breeland was going to have a phenomenal year. The coaches planned on it and therefore didn't scheme their defense to incorporate Norman moving around. It is/was too soon to already abandon the plan and ad hoc the defense to incorporate that plus they didn't want to totally destroy Breeland's confidence. But you can see they are already trying to sprinkle it in. 

I'm not saying our coaches are genius, but I've seen some pretty good evidence of good coaching and we won the division last year with a lot of injuries and a pretty bare cupboard. I think we're slightly better this year but right now I'd say our record is far more indicative of the players' execution than the coaches planning or preparation, although coaches are not completely absolved from player performance, good or bad. 

10 hours ago, CBass1724 said:

If Kirk signed a "discounted" (lol) 5/$80m or 6/$90m during the offseason, would everyone be freaking out MORE or LESS than they are right meow?   

Less.  In fact, I'll go on record saying we wouldn't be having this conversation. You can tell Kirk is pressing, and a lot of that is trying to prove last year wasn't a fluke  versus just playing football.  Listen to his quotes, he's his own worst enemy.  

4 minutes ago, moondog said:

There are a lot of issues on our team and often times we like to point to the coaching staff. I'm not saying you're completely wrong but at the same time the coaches were doing at least some things right against Dallas. The back to back fades were not ideal, imo, but at the same time they had receivers running all over the field open all day and Cousins missed them. We left a lot of points on the board that were almost exclusively Cousins' fault. I'm not saying we have genius coaches but they must be doing something right schemewise to have guys open all the time. Once Barry finally started having Norman follow Bryant around the defense looked much more solid.

The coaches had every right to believe Breeland would be a stud. Hell, I bet 95% of us thought Breeland was going to have a phenomenal year. The coaches planned on it and therefore didn't scheme their defense to incorporate Norman moving around. It is/was too soon to already abandon the plan and ad hoc the defense to incorporate that plus they didn't want to totally destroy Breeland's confidence. But you can see they are already trying to sprinkle it in. 

I'm not saying our coaches are genius, but I've seen some pretty good evidence of good coaching and we won the division last year with a lot of injuries and a pretty bare cupboard. I think we're slightly better this year but right now I'd say our record is far more indicative of the players' execution than the coaches planning or preparation, although coaches are not completely absolved from player performance, good or bad. 

Dan went with the media and didn't do his homework when selecting Gruden. Both Gruden's have a history of placing players under the bus and pitting them against each other within the locker room. Even if you fire Gruden, Dan gave him the keys to the car and the whole coaching staff that can legitimately fill in on an interim basis has deep Gruden allegiance which puts the skins in a tough situation in changing ship and direction to a winning mentality.  Get Russ Grimm on speed dial 

Archived