Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's good to "have a Kirk" at QB???

Renegade7

Should we stay a pass first team going forward this season?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Stay a pass first team in 2016???

Even though Kirk didn't play great, most QBs don't.

My point, is even though if Kirk isn't our future franchise QB (which I still feel is too early to say), I would not blow my wad on trying to find his replacement just yet.  Not with the state of the Dline and lack of running game.  We had 46 pass attempts to 17 running attempts, I'm sorry, but it looks like this "passing team" idea is not working.  Other players have pointed out that Kirk's stength is playaction, but instead we're asking him to be Aaron Rodges.  I'll admit, he made a mistake by betting on himself to be that and us for falling for it.  But he's showing that's not what he is.

So unless someone says otherwise, we still have something a lot of teams don't have:  A QB that you can win games with even if they can't consistently win you games themself.  He's not a Case Keenum, so I'm disappointed but not as furious as I would be if we did give him that long term contract.  Instead, we could possible give him a 3 year deal that gives us a chance to continue adding talent to the roster (because we wouldn't be talking playoff run instead if Kirk wasn't playing at a level we hoped he could substain).

And for the record, I don't think the season is over.  I do believe Kirk is running out of time to settle down before the second half and everything gets harder.  At the same time, you can tell he's trying to save us with our lack of running game and horrendous d-line / defensive playcalls, and he can't.  Which leads to the poll:

Even with our skill position talent, should we be a passing football team?  

46 passes to 17 runs isn't working, and its not like this game got so far away that we had to pass either.  I'm with Trevor that I'm not sold on Matt Jones because he's too big not to be finishing runs like someone said something about his mom every play.  We need a running back and running game to protect Kirk.  I know its week 2, but majority of Kirk's career he's been a guy we shouldn't be asking to save us.

Forget Kirk. Dude just doesn't have it. As much as we all want to pretend he does.

Start Colt for the foreseeable future on a cheap deal. He can at least hold the fort down for a year or two.

Continue building the roster - which seems like a tall order at the moment.

Insert starting QB when the the front office feels the roster is close.

I am honestly out of ideas. Nothing works.

I think the thing about Kirk is he is still not convinced he's the guy. He's a totally different player when he stops overthinking everything and just let's it rip. Much like early last year, I feel like he's trying to aim it and thinking every time he makes a throw. You can see the difference when he just gets in a zone out there. He's a totally different player. But I think he came out pressing against Pitt and after playing poorly he's back in that rut. Time will tell but it's not looking good right now. 

The one thing Kirk has regressed badly in is his ability to shake off a bad play. That interception in the endzone was a stupid play,but you can't hang your head. There were still plenty of chances to win. The refs tried their best to put the game away, but didn't.

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

We shouldn't have to decide whether we're going to pass or run first for an entire season. Whichever you pick, it's going to make you dull and easy to read. Use a little variety!

That's a fair way of saying we need more balance, I'll accept that and what I want.  This pass first crap has to stop, I hated the stance when posters were defending it, and I hate it now.

4 minutes ago, moondog said:

I think the thing about Kirk is he is still not convinced he's the guy. He's a totally different player when he stops overthinking everything and just let's it rip. Much like early last year, I feel like he's trying to aim it and thinking every time he makes a throw. You can see the difference when he just gets in a zone out there. He's a totally different player. But I think he came out pressing against Pitt and after playing poorly he's back in that rut. Time will tell but it's not looking good right now. 

Dude is totally thinking about that franchise tag more then just doing his job.  He did that to himself, so does that mean he needs a vote of confidence from the front office that he still has a home here if he wants it?  I do believe if we try to replace him this year, it will be too early, and we'll destory the new guy instead of getting them a team first that they can grow into versus being in same mindset as Kirk; desperate.

29 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I do believe Kirk is running out of time to settle down before the second half and everything gets harder.  At the same time, you can tell he's trying to save us with our lack of running game and horrendous d-line / defensive playcalls, and he can't. 

"Save us"? lol...he could have "saved us" by connecting on at least one or two of those wide-open TD throws.

Just now, Califan007 said:

"Save us"? lol...he could have "saved us" by connecting on at least one or two of those wide-open TD throws.

Against Dallas, maybe.  But after two games and previous seasons, he's not someone I'd ask to get into a shootout with any elite QB.  Him even thinking he has to makes him do stupid **** like miss passes like that. Its so mental, this game of football, and this dude is porcilin fragile.

23 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

Depends on how much he wants, 14+ no. He's not elite where we can afford the cap room needed to upgrade other positions.

Hmmm... Alternative then?  14 isn't manslaughter at this rate, running with Colt would be.  We need to wait to say how this season plays out before looking at what we should pay him, but I wouldn't let him walk, not right now.

20 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Hmmm... Alternative then?  14 isn't manslaughter at this rate, running with Colt would be.  We need to wait to say how this season plays out before looking at what we should pay him, but I wouldn't let him walk, not right now.

Of course you have to let him play out the season but unless he drastically improves i'm sticking with the 14 mil a year offer. That's pretty much on par with what he did last season.

He's not elite giving him elite QB money would just set this team back.

It's too bad he really does seem mentally weak.. That's half the battle and something that is practically impossible to win w/o.. I predict once we lose another game or two, and all expectation and pressure is off, then he'll start looking good again.. Would of been great to find a real stud in the 4th round, but we're the Redskins.. :/

It's very possible the GM is already 2 steps ahead of you and just running with Kirk because he was the coach's decision, and there just isn't a better option at the moment.  It doesn't make him the long term solution. People forget that teams have gone to the superbowl with mediocre to just ok QB's before and won.  Just have to have a great team all around to do it.  Hell, Colin Kapernick was a questionable non-PI call away from likely having a ring.  Trent Dilfer has a ring.  Flacco has one too.

It's a very real possibility that the GM looks at the big picture and realizes we are still in the early stages of building a contender, and doesn't want to go out and get a young inexperienced QB  until the rest of the team is built to support his youthfulness.  You let Cousins captain the ship during those 3-4 building years, and when you are ready you make the switch if it needs to be made. 

I agree with the premise we're asking Kirk to do too much. He has thrown 89 passes in two games. Defenses are playing a lot of zone coverage and not respecting the run. A little run support would help him.

Where I disagree with the OP is that I think we're more than capable of running the ball with the players we have. We're averaging about 5 yards a rush. The coaches just aren't calling enough run plays.

9 minutes ago, s0crates said:

I agree with the premise we're asking Kirk to do too much. He has thrown 89 passes in two games. Defenses are playing a lot of zone coverage and not respecting the run. A little run support would help him.

Where I disagree with the OP is that I think we're more than capable of running the ball with the players we have. We're averaging about 5 yards a rush. The coaches just aren't calling enough run plays.

I understand.

Last week, we couldn't say that about the running game.  This week, I feel we gave up on it too early when it looked fine to me.  Again, Cowboys defense is not Pittsburgh, and second half of the season sets up for more Pittsburgh-like games if we can't run against good run defenses as well.  I'm not sold on Jones to get the job done against better defenses, we need an upgrade there, his head isn't there either, he's not playing at the level to truely be a dominant back.

12 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

It's very possible the GM is already 2 steps ahead of you and just running with Kirk because he was the coach's decision, and there just isn't a better option at the moment.  It doesn't make him the long term solution. People forget that teams have gone to the superbowl with mediocre to just ok QB's before and won.  Just have to have a great team all around to do it.  Hell, Colin Kapernick was a questionable non-PI call away from likely having a ring.  Trent Dilfer has a ring.  Flacco has one too.

It's a very real possibility that the GM looks at the big picture and realizes we are still in the early stages of building a contender, and doesn't want to go out and get a young inexperienced QB  until the rest of the team is built to support his youthfulness.  You let Cousins captain the ship during those 3-4 building years, and when you are ready you make the switch if it needs to be made. 

That's pretty much the OP in a nutshell.  Its why we didn't pay give him that buku money, he knew we needed it for other parts and Kirk hadn't earned it yet.  So smart, saved us from a Colin Kapernick situation where he's likely the most expensive backup QB in the NFL right now.

Oh look Luck gets sacked, stripped, and returned for a TD when all they needed was a TD to win the game in less than 2 mins. Luck is getting paid way more than Cousins. 

Not defending Kirk here but I still think Kirk has room to grow and if he wants a nice contract next year he will need to step up his game. Maybe our D will get it together in couple of weeks and they can help keep the score down of the opposing team and Kirk can light it up and be in the playoffs. I know crazy talk here... and at this time it doesn't seem like it can be true.

But for me, I really like to wait for all 16 classes to be completed before I can give out a grade. 

:815:

Archived