Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

Some of you may remember I took a hiatus from the Tailgate a while back.  Part of my parting words were that Trump is not the problem.  He is merely a symptom of the real problem.  He is the cough that is a part of the nations cold.  I feel like this whole kneeling thing falls under the same category.  One thing I am noticing is that no one is discussing the problem.  Sure words are being spoken about it but everyone is just speaking past each other without listening.  And this is the nation in general, not just here though it is also prevalent here.  Both sides have merit.  Do they have a right to kneel.  Sure do!  Do others have a right to piss and moan about it?  Sure do!  Are they bringing to light an issue that needs to be rectified?  Sure are!  Is what they are doing offense to some?  Sure is!  Is either side totally right or wrong?  Sure not!  That is the great thing about opinions, there is no right or wrong.  But there is no thoughtful discussion.  There is just trying to "win".  

Again, this is just a symptom of where our nation is at.  And I see nothing that makes me think it will get better.  Not without some blood shed at least.  In no way am I advocating for that.  But I just see it as what is bound to happen.  When we stop listening, there is but one other route to inevitably be taken.  It is a sad and unnecessary route but I fear it is the route the nation is bound to choose.  

My wife said something on Facebook the other night that really struck me.  (we are currently separated, geographically; not emotionally)  And in about a month I will be deploying for the next year and a half.  She said "I am supposed to be worrying about what is going to happen to him over there, not him worrying about what is going to happen to me over here."  It was very sad but very true.  Actually made me tear up a bit.

So you all (I mean here and in the country) can keep arguing about if they have a right to kneel.  And if others have a right to **** about it.  I'll give you a hint.  They both do.  But until the underlying issue is addressed we will just keep bouncing from symptom to symptom until the cold is cured.  Our cold is intolerance of others and their opinions/beliefs.  This is not a Right or Left problem, this is an American problem.  

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Ultimately they did all stand, arms locked, during the anthem, having knelt before the anthem played, but this photo is gonna be everywhere, and it sends a pretty clear message. 

I fear this is going to be twisted to make it seem like they kneeled through the anthem.  Even though that isn't what happened.  Does it make a difference in the long run?  No.  But the right will use it as proof of fake news.  And the left will use it to say the right gets hung up on the wrong things.  And further apart we divide.

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

I fear this is going to be twisted to make it seem like they kneeled through the anthem.  Even though that isn't what happened.  Does it make a difference in the long run?  No.  But the right will use it as proof of fake news.  And the left will use it to say the right gets hung up on the wrong things.  And further apart we divide.

I'll use it as a example of the right things at the right times.

The fact that Jerry knelt with the team is optic enough, especially in light of the fake quote being attributed to him over the last year on this issue.

2 minutes ago, twa said:

Right, the most influential owner in American sports joining his team in protest and solidarity in spite Trump’s wholly unpresidential comments.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

9 minutes ago, twa said:

8 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

The fact that Jerry knelt with the team is optic enough, especially in light of the fake quote being attributed to him over the last year on this issue.

Right, the most influential owner in American sports joining his team in protest and solidarity in spite Trump’s wholly unpresidential comments.

4 minutes ago, twa said:

But not during the anthem for some reason.

Well.......That took even less time than I expected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Its pretty clear to me, after a day to digest this, that 45 has won, decisively.

No he hasn't.  If the NFL crashes and burns this season; then he will have succeeded.

Stadiums will need to be mostly empty. Ratings will have to completely crash.  If that happens, then Trump and his call for boycott will have been a success and he would've won.

Everything I've seen, it's been about 50-50.  Those who side support Trump, support his boycott and his position.  Those who didn't support Trump, side with the constitution and allowing the players to have their protest.

2 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I’m a US Army veteran, I’m not offended. Conservatives need to stop assuming they speak for all veterans or assuming that veterans are some monolithic group that all suffer from Conservative group think.

Agreed, and I would say that's true for many groups and ideologies. 

First, what typical Trumpster has the disposable cash to pay for season tickets? 

Second, season tickets are already sold. 

The fans who like football don't really care what he says. They will talk, but when it comes down to it, there won't be a blip on the NFL radar showing decreased participation in NFL related activities: parties, tailgates, going to games, buying merchandise (although a slowing economy might cause some of these).

Just now, LadySkinsFan said:

First, what typical Trumpster has the disposable cash to pay for season tickets? 

Second, season tickets are already sold. 

The fans who like football don't really care what he says. They will talk, but when it comes down to it, there won't be a blip on the NFL radar showing decreased participation in NFL related activities: parties, tailgates, going to games, buying merchandise (although a slowing economy might cause some of these).

Were those the folk booing or were those special effects? 

Take it outside .

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

Awwww is this protest inconvenient for you?

I seem to recall that your position of protesting is that protests should be silent and not seen. 

Too freaking bad!

try posting this crap in the football section....feel free :rofl89: