Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Here's an article about the founder of planned parenthood that talks about how she went to black communities with help of NAACP to drum up support for women's rights to birth control.

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/08/14/432080520/fact-check-was-planned-parenthood-started-to-control-the-black-population

In the 20s, black community really didn't support it.  It's not really clear if she put the same amount of effort into outreach to a different racial community, but her strong connection to eugenics makes people uncomfortable on the topic.  Needless to say that outreach is so effective blacks have more abortions on average them any other racial group in the country and its not even close.

I'm talking modern day. Not 100 years ago. There was a lot of **** done 100 years ago that was wrong no matter how you look at it.

New York: Dismember the Late-Term Babies But Do Not Declaw the Cats

https://stream.org/new-york-dismember-late-term-babies-not-declaw-cats/

The state of New York has now added insanity to bloodlust. Yes, the same state that makes it legal to abort a baby in the womb right until the moment of delivery has deemed it inhumane to declaw cats.

But we’ve seen this madness before.

Earlier this year in Virginia, Rep. Kathy Tran introduced two new bills, one removing virtually all restrictions on abortion, the other protecting cankerworms. To quote her directly, the goal of the bill is “help save … butterflies by protecting the fall cankerworm (caterpillar)” from deadly insecticides.

This led to headlines like, “Kathy Tran cares more for butterflies than babies in the womb” and “Kathy Tran (D-VA) defender of the cankerworm, baby killer advocate.”

So, Tran was able to see that the cankerworm has the potential to become a butterfly, but unable to see that the baby in the womb has the potential to become a fully functioning human being outside it.

Now, New York is showing far more compassion for a kitten than for a baby, far more concern for the minor suffering of a cat than for the violent slaughter of an unborn child.

What confusion. What delusion.

In the late 90s, I went to some NOW meetings in Baltimore with my then GF. One meeting was with some members of a Black feminist group. They too viewed abortion as genocide perpetrated by the White feminists on the Black population. All of us White women were shocked because we were about choice for everyone no matter the choice, and how to support women through and after their decisions. 

In thinking about it, it's not really so surprising of the way Blacks think about abortion. I think the younger Black women are moving away from this thought because they realize that making choices about having children impacts their education and career goals. 

I haven't seen statistics on the numbers of abortions Black women have had over the years. 

20 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

I'm talking modern day. Not 100 years ago. There was a lot of **** done 100 years ago that was wrong no matter how you look at it.

Gee, and here I figured that you'd respond by pointing out that you asked for examples of people encouraging abortion, and he responded with a story about somebody who lobbied to give people access to birth control.  

8 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I haven't seen statistics on the numbers of abortions Black women have had over the years. 

(CNSNews.com) – Although black Americans comprise 13.4% of the U.S. population, they accounted for 36.0% of the abortions in 2015, which was almost identical to the percentage of abortions (36.9

%) that year among white Americans, who make up 76.6% of the population.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/emily-ward/blacks-make-134-population-36-abortions

43 minutes ago, Larry said:

Gee, and here I figured that you'd respond by pointing out that you asked for examples of people encouraging abortion, and he responded with a story about somebody who lobbied to give people access to birth control.  

I mean, considering the conversation I think wanting an example that isn't a century old kinda goes without saying.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Right, because history doesn't matter or how it started.  Fine, here's a billboard from 2018:

abortionisselfcare_hdv.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Larry said:

Oh, I could have gone there. But I felt the 100 years ago defense was pretty solid on its own.

• Haha 1

(Abortion billboard).  

I'm really surprised.  But point made.  

(Although I'll point out, from reading a statement by the group, concerning the billboard, I don't think they're trying to encourage people to have abortions.  But rather to reassure people that abortion is a choice that they have.)  

(And yes, I'm aware that the two are easily confused.  As my mailbox full of literature "informing me about savings opportunities" attests.)  

Edited by Larry
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Right, because history doesn't matter or how it started. 

Of course history matters. No one was arguing with if things occured in past. The question was relevance in modern day. 

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Fine, here's a billboard from 2018:

abortionisselfcare_hdv.jpg

This would have been a great example to use.

From what I've found in a quick research session, these were highly controversial and done as a counterpoint to extremeness on the other side. This is why red hot and ice blue doesn't solve issues. We need to come together, work together, use common sense and moderation.

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

A Republican Governor in Vermont allowed one of the strongest pro-choice laws to take effect. 

Its almost like state representatives abide by the wishes of their electorate! Shocking concept indeed. 

Are you suggesting the states restricting abortions are not abiding by the wishes of their electorate?  

21 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Are you suggesting the states restricting abortions are not abiding by the wishes of their electorate?  

No, of course they are. Alabama et al get the governments they deserve precisely because of the electorate. And of course all the poverty and decay that comes with the consequences of their policies. 

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

Of course they are. Alabama we all get the governments they deserve and all the poverty and decay that comes with the consequences of their policies. 

Electorates change though, and often these legislators are doing the bidding people giving them kickbacks and throwing fundraisers, not the voters.  Not to mention voter suppression and gerrymandering making it even harder to be sure. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Of course history matters. No one was arguing with if things occured in past. The question was relevance in modern day. 

History is relevant in modern times because it's what lead to the environment we have in modern times.  It all adds up and accumulates and when policies are in effect for a long time, their effects can be felt long after they are over.  See Willie Lynch Letter. 

When you see this topic come up, that's where a lot of people start, that's why I started there.  At minimum I look at it as unintended consequence with other cases being more malicious in the last 100 years this has been going on.

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

This would have been a great example to use.

From what I've found in a quick research session

I'll be honest I'd hoped you would've done that after my first post instead writing that off as a singular example.  

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'll be honest I'd hoped you would've done that after my first post instead writing that off as a singular example.  

You always a jerk? Or just my lucky day?

Having never 1st hand or 3rd party experienced an "encouragement" for abortion, I hold steady that my inquiry was justified and appropriate. 

But please male species....continue to debate what I can do with my body and show no respect when others are trying to have a civilized discussion to understand the spectrum of points of view.

I really do not understand the aggressiveness to keep coming at me when I 100% am trying to educate and learn everyone's views on this. 

It doesn't have to be a all or nothing. This forum usually seems good for an adult conversation of listening and conversation (with some snarks here and there).

Get aggressive with someone who wants to fight. I'm genuinely trying to learn others' experience. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

You always a jerk? Or just my lucky day?

Having never 1st hand or 3rd party experienced an "encouragement" for abortion, I hold steady that my inquiry was justified and appropriate. 

But please male species....continue to debate what I can do with my body and show no respect when others are trying to have a civilized discussion to understand the spectrum of points of view.

You just took it the wrong way in the wrong medium for this conversation. Don't take it personal.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

You just took it the wrong way in the wrong medium for this conversation. Don't take it personal.

I get it. Just really touched a nerve. Too often in this political climate people are busy talking at each other instead of to each other. Makes a big difference. 

Though if this was Family Feud Top 5 Answers on the Board...."Things to say to tick off a woman"........'Don't take Abortion Debate Personal'......would win you the game. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

I get it. Just really touched a nerve. Too often in this political climate people are busy talking at each other instead of to each other. Makes a big difference. 

Though if this was Family Feud Top 5 Answers on the Board...."Things to say to tick off a woman"........'Don't take Abortion Debate Personal'......would win you the game. 

True, you caught me, I was speaking more to hoping you would read more about it versus dismissing my example, not abortion in general.  That's reasonable when having a discussion with someone over the internet, but not when they're sitting right in front of you.

24 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

True, you caught me, I was speaking more to hoping you would read more about it versus dismissing my example, not abortion in general.  That's reasonable when having a discussion with someone over the internet, but not when they're sitting right in front of you.

Truce.

But for the record I didn't (intend to) dismiss your example. I simply was asking for a modern day example. Which you 100% provided with the billboards. I 100% do not approve of the billboards. As I do not believe in utilizing shock and awe to "bully" someone into a decision.

I remember being in middle school and walking around our county fair exhibits with a couple friends. This was in a very red area of Maryland. And without even realizing it we were at a pretty pink booth, with candy, and religious emblems with an older man showing us graphics and telling us how late term abortions are performed. I was maybe 11? 11!

• Like 1