Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

On 5/23/2019 at 5:46 PM, nonniey said:

Re: Republicans and Science.  Each party has their strengths and weakness - Republicans are weak at environmental science while Dems are weak at biology.

This is so funny. The party of young earth creationism and intelligent design garbage is "strong" on biology?

Have you ever talked to a biologist? Because as one myself, I can assure you, the Republican Party is considered a bunch of thumb sucking morons by pretty much everyone in our community when it comes to questions of medicine and science.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 3

CNN: Supreme Court leaves intact block on Indiana abortion restriction, but allows fetal burial to go into effect

Looks like the law had two provisions.  

One required the fetal remains of abortion or miscarriage be disposed of via burial or cremation, using the same procedures as (what?  "People who've been born"?)  The court allowed this part of the law to go into effect.  

The other prohibited "abortions motivated solely by race, sex or disability".  (Quoting the article, not the law.)  This law was blocked by a lower court, and the Supremes let that ruling stand.  

CNN article containing the actual ruling.  

1 hour ago, Larry said:

CNN: Supreme Court leaves intact block on Indiana abortion restriction, but allows fetal burial to go into effect

Looks like the law had two provisions.  

One required the fetal remains of abortion or miscarriage be disposed of via burial or cremation, using the same procedures as (what?  "People who've been born"?)  The court allowed this part of the law to go into effect.  

The other prohibited "abortions motivated solely by race, sex or disability".  (Quoting the article, not the law.)  This law was blocked by a lower court, and the Supremes let that ruling stand.  

CNN article containing the actual ruling.  

I get why the lower courts blocked that provision as it would interfere with abortions pre-viability (How could you enforce it without restrictions on early abortions which ROE was specific can't be restricted). 

That said doing it for those reasons would be anethema and treads into the eugenics arena. 

As for the disposal of remains not sure why all the animosity/gnashing of teeth over it. It doesn't interfere with abortions.

Edited by nonniey

2 hours ago, nonniey said:

As for the disposal of remains not sure why all the animosity/gnashing of teeth over it. It doesn't interfere with abortions.

Neither does requiring the patient to wear a scarlet "A" around town for three days.  Or requiring her to be struck by a ruler on the back of the hand, four times each, for that matter.  

All the three of them do is heap emotional pain on someone in a very fragile emotional state, who just had to make a very difficult decision.  

Which is one of the reasons why it was passed.  To interfere with abortions.  

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Larry said:

Neither does requiring the patient to wear a scarlet "A" around town for three days.  Or requiring her to be struck by a ruler on the back of the hand, four times each, for that matter.  

All the three of them do is heap emotional pain on someone in a very fragile emotional state, who just had to make a very difficult decision.  

Which is one of the reasons why it was passed.  To interfere with abortions.  

Are you sure the motivation wasn't that Pro-Lifers see those aborted as human beings, and as such deserving of the dignity afforded other humans upon death?  I ask because the pro-life movement has been fairly consistent in their stated belief that the unborn are living human beings deserving of rights. 

One doesn't have to agree with either side to understand their logic. 

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-abortion-idUSKCN1SZ2I8?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5cef38195f25b20001a0edbf&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Louisiana’s Democratic governor said on Wednesday he would sign a bill passed earlier in the day to ban abortion when a fetal heartbeat is detected, the latest legislation in a movement in mostly Southern and Midwest states to curb abortion rights.

Earlier on Wednesday, Missouri’s governor renewed his intention to close a Planned Parenthood clinic and become the first state without a medical facility that performs abortions.

The Louisiana bill was approved on Wednesday by a 79-23 vote of the Republican-controlled Louisiana House of Representatives and had already passed in the state Senate.

Louisiana would join at least four other conservative-leaning states that have passed measures this year to prohibit abortion as early as six weeks. Alabama has approved a stricter law that would ban nearly all abortions in the state.

The U.S. Supreme Court may eventually be called upon to rule on the various state laws, which challenge the high court’s landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade decision that women have a constitutional right to an abortion.

Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards would become the first Democrat this year to sign a ban on abortion when a heartbeat is detected, which can occur as early as six weeks from conception before a woman realizes she is pregnant, lending bipartisanship to the measure. The bill’s sponsor, state Senator John Milkovich, is also a Democrat.

Other states that passed similar measures this year, including Ohio, Mississippi and Missouri, are led by Republican governors.

Edited by visionary
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Already know these guys don't care about women but do they care more about their loony base or keeping money in the state.

Disney is fine with building a theme park in Saudi Arabia though.

2 hours ago, twa said:

Also... I’m not a feminist or into the SJW stuff to the level it’s at right now... but if you watch Disney’s core Mikey mouse shows geared for children it’s full of gender role stereotyping. I brought this up in the pbs kids thread.

just seems weird where they’re drawing lines. I don’t know if he’s just detached from what his networks actually produce or just playing a pr game. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Also... I’m not a feminist or into the SJW stuff to the level it’s at right now... but if you watch Disney’s core Mikey mouse shows geared for children it’s full of gender role stereotyping. I brought this up in the pbs kids thread.

just seems weird where they’re drawing lines. I don’t know if he’s just detached from what his networks actually produce or just playing a pr game. 

PR game. They won't boycott any state unless the bottom-line gets threatened.

Edited by nonniey

4 hours ago, twa said:

Well, somebody beat then to selling them billions in weapons without congressional approval.  So they had to fall back on Splash Mountain.  

33 minutes ago, Larry said:

Well, somebody beat then to selling them billions in weapons without congressional approval.  So they had to fall back on Splash Mountain.  

Well Trump would probably give Georgia weapons....so what's your point?