Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

21 minutes ago, Larry said:

Twa really destroying all those people claiming that the fetus is the mother's body. 

If there was anybody arguing that. 

Does a fetus have a human body or no?

The subject introduced was bodily autonomy, I'm all up in that. :pint:

Another example somewhat closer than the one LSF gave would be conjoined twins.

With the critical difference they could both separate and live in a matter of months IF allowed.

Would you sacrifice the smaller and weaker one's life or wait a bit?

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

@LadySkinsFan you may have already laid out your position and I missed.  If so, my apologies. 

What exactly is your view on abortion?  Are you for no restrictions up to the moment of birth?  Or more conservative?

Thanks in advance. 

My position as always is female bodily autonomy just like men enjoy. That includes use or not of birth control (some females cannot take some forms of BC), and the choice of carrying a fetus to term or not. Unreservedly females have the right to make decisions regarding their own bodies.

I consider myself lucky that I could make those decisions for myself after Roe v. Wade. Those decisions included tubal ligation at age 30 because I couldn't take chemical or inserted BC, so to take my reproduction responsibility in my own hands. I was in VA, single, with one child. The doctor asked me what if I got married and my husband wanted children. I answered that he was free to have babies with someone else. He asked that I was still young, what if I wanted more? I answered that I was sure I didn't. He informed me that if I was married I would have to have my husband's permission, but a husband didn't need a wife's permission to get a vasectomy. I told him to burn the hell out of my tubes.

This is one reason why I advocate for men taking responsibility for their own reproduction. We are each responsible for ourselves. Committed couples may choose to make these decisions together. Once a female is pregnant, the choice of what to do with her body and the fetus in it is hers. We assume that parasites are subject to removal from our bodies, and scientifically that's what a fetus is. They take everything they need from the female's body until birth.

I also say that of every female I've ever talked to who had an abortion, they wanted the procedure as early as possible to make sure their bodies weren't harmed by a late procedure. That's the reason why 91% of abortions occur before 13 weeks. That's pretty significant. If the pregnancy went beyond 20 weeks, the decision was to carry the fetus to term and either choose to keep it or surrender for adoption. I

The reason for abortions after 20 weeks is because there's something wrong with the fetus or the female's health was at risk. 

These narrowly drawn bills are about control of females and returning them to second class status. If there was true concern about born children, these states and politicians wouldn't pass laws restricting the social safety net. 

FB_IMG_1558412712154.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twa said:

Does a fetus have a human body or no?

1). Irrelevant. 

2). Is my finger a a human finger or no?

1 hour ago, twa said:

The subject introduced was bodily autonomy, I'm all up in that. :pint:

You're all up in the FETUS' bodily autonomy. The mother's?  Time for deflection. 

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

1). Irrelevant. 

2). Is my finger a a human finger or no?

You're all up in the FETUS' bodily autonomy. The mother's?  Time for deflection. 

so you think a fetus is like a finger?

Hard to discuss bodily autonomy if you think whether you have a body is irrelevant....perhaps you should sit that one out. :ols:.....perhaps in the dunce corner with the it's a parasite crowd.

I'm fine with discussing the mothers bodily autonomy and where rights intersect.

55 minutes ago, twa said:

so you think a fetus is like a finger?

I said nothing of the sort.  

I pointed out that attempting to argue that "human" can mean "person", or it can mean "anything related to a person".  

But then, you're well aware of that, which is why you keep trying to use the word.  

55 minutes ago, twa said:

Hard to discuss bodily autonomy if you think whether you have a body is irrelevant...

It is when the argument is "I have a body, therefore I'm entitled to demand the use of yours".  

4 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Right to privacy is not absolute.

In most cases she already made a voluntary decision to have unprotected sex. The cases are not similar.

She has no obligation to show constraint in the first, though, or second, though, or even the third, though.

Sometimes you have to face the consequences for your actions.   

As vile and chauvinistic as the notion that women are forfeiting their right to live because they chose to have intercourse is, I still feel a little bad to be the one that has to break this news to you. It takes two people to have intercourse.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

I said nothing of the sort.  

I pointed out that attempting to argue that "human" can mean "person", or it can mean "anything related to a person".  

But then, you're well aware of that, which is why you keep trying to use the word.  

It is when the argument is "I have a body, therefore I'm entitled to demand the use of yours".  

OK, you strongly inferred it.

A fetus is a completely separate human individual body existing within another , protected even from co-mingling blood..

IF you want to argue personhood to justify killing them feel free.

If I am a individual human possessing a body of my own  I think I am entitled to rights and protection.

You are free to kill me if the law allows though......enjoy your choices.

27 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

It takes two people to have intercourse.

What does that have to do with anything? 

If you don’t want to have a baby it’s pretty easy to not have a baby. It may take two people to have intercourse, but it only takes one person to choose not to have a baby.

How would women forfeit their right to live by having a baby in lue of abortion? I’m not actually arguing that women shouldn’t have access to abortions in every circumstance, but your argument makes no sense.  There are plenty of options besides abortion that preserve a women’s right to live.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

HBO has an excellent documentary on abortion called Abortion: Stories Women Tell.   Documents a clinic in Missouri and the patients, doctors and protestors.  Though it shows both the pro choice and pro life movement, I'd say its a bit more slanted towards the pro-choice perspective. 

1 hour ago, twa said:

OK, you strongly inferred it.

A fetus is a completely separate human individual body existing within another , protected even from co-mingling blood..

IF you want to argue personhood to justify killing them feel free.

Although I have been known to do so in the past, (in fact, it would apply to this very post of yours), I am not doing so right now. 

1 hour ago, twa said:

If I am a individual human possessing a body of my own  I think I am entitled to rights and protection.

But one of those rights is not to demand that someone else let you use their body. 

10 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

My position as always is female bodily autonomy just like men enjoy. That includes use or not of birth control (some females cannot take some forms of BC), and the choice of carrying a fetus to term or not. Unreservedly females have the right to make decisions regarding their own bodies.

Thank you for the answer.  Just to be clear, you'd support the right of a women if she chose to abort a full-term, healthy fetus an hour before delivery.  Is that correct?

8 hours ago, Larry said:

But one of those rights is not to demand that someone else let you use their body. 

Indeed, which is why the conjoined twins example is probably the closest fit.

the bodies are joined......should one legally prevail in harming the other because it is larger and stronger?

13 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I consider myself lucky that I could make those decisions for myself after Roe v. Wade. Those decisions included tubal ligation at age 30 because I couldn't take chemical or inserted BC, so to take my reproduction responsibility in my own hands. I was in VA, single, with one child. The doctor asked me what if I got married and my husband wanted children. I answered that he was free to have babies with someone else. He asked that I was still young, what if I wanted more? I answered that I was sure I didn't. He informed me that if I was married I would have to have my husband's permission, but a husband didn't need a wife's permission to get a vasectomy. I told him to burn the hell out of my tubes.

This is one reason why I advocate for men taking responsibility for their own reproduction. We are each responsible for ourselves. Committed couples may choose to make these decisions together. Once a female is pregnant, the choice of what to do with her body and the fetus in it is hers. We assume that parasites are subject to removal from our bodies, and scientifically that's what a fetus is. They take everything they need from the female's body until birth.

I also say that of every female I've ever talked to who had an abortion, they wanted the procedure as early as possible to make sure their bodies weren't harmed by a late procedure. That's the reason why 91% of abortions occur before 13 weeks. That's pretty significant. If the pregnancy went beyond 20 weeks, the decision was to carry the fetus to term and either choose to keep it or surrender for adoption. I

The reason for abortions after 20 weeks is because there's something wrong with the fetus or the female's health was at risk. 

These narrowly drawn bills are about control of females and returning them to second class status. If there was true concern about born children, these states and politicians wouldn't pass laws restricting the social safety net. 

Question, in case I missed it in earlier posts. 

Are you fine with there being a time restriction (in this case 20 weeks) on the woman choosing to get an abortion, and ok with them having to carry to full-term and keep it or put it up for adoption after the 20 weeks, assuming of course the fetus and female's health (or life) was not in jeopardy?

Or do you think the female should be able to abort the pregnancy at any point, even up to the full-term date (again, assuming there is no danger to the mother or fetus/baby's life at any point during the pregnancy)?

For The Great Buzz and Dont Taze Me Bro, the females alone are in charge of their bodies and can make decisions at any time, period, pregnant or not. Would I agree with every female's choices, no, it's not my place to give permission on what a female does with her body. I am only responsible for my body. As is any male is only responsible for his body and choices.

It's not up to politicians to put limits on any medical procedure based on overly emotional, religious based criteria. Period.  I and my sisters and some brothers who recognize female bodily autonomy have been fighting this fight for basically our whole lives and the lives of humans before us. 

STOP putting limits on female bodily autonomy.

• Like 3