Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

21 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Southern Baptists oppose abortion???!!!! The world no longer makes sense. Next thing you know Hispanic Catholics in California will oppose abortion. 

How many pro-choice Republicans left in Congress? Couldn’t even count them on one hand. 

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/06/pro-choice-republicans-in-congress-are-nearly-extinct.html

What’s interesting about that development is that at the rank-and-file level pro-choice Republicans are significantly more numerous than pro-life Democrats. According to a 2017 Pew survey 22 percent of self-identified Democrats believe abortion should be illegal in all or most cases, while 34 percent of Republicans believe abortion should be legal in all or most cases.

WhAt HaPpeNeD tO PrO-LiFe DeMoCraTs???

mocking-spongebob-1556133078.jpg?crop=0.

Edited by No Excuses

5 hours ago, No Excuses said:

How many pro-choice Republicans left in Congress? Couldn’t even count them on one hand. 

Depends on the definition you use.  Most support abortion with restrictions (what that makes them depends on the context of the point trying to be made by Pro-choice activists).

Edited by nonniey

10 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Depends on the definition you use.  Most support abortion with restrictions (what that makes them depends on the context of the point trying to be made by Pro-choice activists).

Agree with you that where you draw the line for those particular labels can be important.  

To invent an intentionally stupid example, would a congressman who believes that abortion should be legal, if it's done within two months of a forceable rape which was witnessed by at least two unrelated people be "pro choice"?  

I think I'd say that, to qualify as "pro choice", one must at least believe that abortion must be available, pretty much without intentional burdens, for every person, in the first trimester.  

Edited by Larry

Definitely yes. Point being is activists will count them as pro-choice when it is convenient and pro-life at other times depending what the argument is.  Pro choice activists for example would certainly count them  as pro-choice when used to highlight the statistic that most American's are pro-choice.

Humiliation, agony, and the risk of sterility or death do not deter American women from ending an average of one out of every five pregnancies by abortion.

Dr. John Skilling, chief obstetrical resident at Washington Hospital Center, says that a Washington woman with $600 [$4,700 in 2019] can often get a safe, competently performed abortion in a local hospital.

“You need $50 each for two psychiatrists,” he explains. “They write up consultation sheets saying you have threatened to commit suicide because you are pregnant, and then you find a gynecologist who will do a TA (therapeutic abortion) for depression.”

The total $600 cost that includes surgical fees and hospitalization is higher than the price of a criminal abortion ($250-$500), but the near-certainty of a safe operation is worth it, Dr. Skilling says.

Same as it ever was. These current abortion restrictions just punish poor women and have no affect on women with means 

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2019 at 6:30 AM, Cooked Crack said:

Yup.

My exact reaction when I learned this - "What in the handmaids tale are you thinking Alabama?"

My exact action when I learned this - scheduled a longterm BC appointment the next day. 

I live 2 miles from Alabama...can't wait to move back north soon! Scary.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

You'd think this thread is about gun control or capitol punishment except then the pro-life crowd would be cheering enthusiastically for the right to kill.

I'm fine with killing those that need it, some of ya'll don't even want to ask that for some reason.

Just now, twa said:

I'm fine with killing those that need it, some of ya'll don't even want to ask that for some reason.

I guess that's why conservatives are against prenatal care and the red states have the highest infant mortality rate in the nation. Moreover, it's why the overall infant mortality rate in this country keeps getting worse.

Pro life is anti-life just pro conception.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I guess that's why conservatives are against prenatal care and the red states have the highest infant mortality rate in the nation. Moreover, it's why the overall infant mortality rate in this country keeps getting worse.

Pro life is anti-life just pro conception.

if you say so.

so you say we at least give them a chance?

add

what is the mortality rate for abortions btw?

Edited by twa

14 minutes ago, twa said:

what is the mortality rate for abortions btw?

Zero.  

(Well, I assume it's not quite.  Maybe, somewhere, there's someone who died while having an abortion.  Once.)  

But heck.  Keep legislating, and maybe you can raise the rate.  

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Zero.  

(Well, I assume it's not quite.  Maybe, somewhere, there's someone who died while having an abortion.  Once.)  

But heck.  Keep legislating, and maybe you can raise the rate.  

even if we we accept your framing you are wrong......but thanks for playing.

15 minutes ago, twa said:

even if we we accept your framing you are wrong......but thanks for playing.

Most recent statistics I can find say that in 2015, 638,000 women had abortions. (Well, actually, it says 638,000 abortions performed. I assume that the number of women who had more than one in 2015 is really small). 

How many of those 638,000 died?  

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

Most recent statistics I can find say that in 2015, 638,000 women had abortions. (Well, actually, it says 638,000 abortions performed. I assume that the number of women who had more than one in 2015 is really small). 

How many of those 638,000 died?  

6 according to this

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/ss/ss6713a1.htm

of course reporting is not uniform.

What is the survival rate for those aborted?

8 minutes ago, Larry said:

So, around one out of every 100,000?

You're right. That's a huge difference from zero. 

those six probably find it significant ...or would have,

add

reducing lives to numbers is just math, denying life is denying life.

Edited by twa

4 minutes ago, twa said:

those six probably find it significant ...or would have,

https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/pregnancy-mortality-surveillance-system.htm#ratio

Per this.....more women die from pregnancy related complications than from abortion related complications.

17x more....

Edited by thegreaterbuzzette
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1