Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Undrafted Free Agency

PokerPacker

In the Twitter thread, Sports 24/7 mentions an UDFA that is a virtual lock to make the roster... anyone know who they're referring to? My guess is Carter.

Yeah it was carter. Said he was rated as a 4th round prospect and a steal.

Yeah it was carter. Said he was rated as a 4th round prospect and a steal.

Thanks man!

BTW, whoever said Harris made Goff look good... check out Lawler and Anderson's ridiculous catches as well. No real opinion of Goff himself, but I noticed numerous times these guys bailed him out on poor throws.

I’ve been waiting for this thread to pop up.

Travis Greene looks like an ankle breaker!

I’m most excited about the safety prospect from Utah Tevin Carter. Don’t be surprised when this guy makes the roster.

Re: Carter -

Bad angles are much more the rule than the exception for him. He was personally responsible for some pretty big blown plays last year by consistently taking very flat angles. looked like he was used to being able to catch almost anyone from behind within a few yards (which, against lesser competition, was no doubt true).

That said, sky high physical talent. Sky. High. The good news is that he has ALL the uncoachable traits and only lacks in areas that are very fixable if he and the coaches are a good marriage.

Not saying Carter isn't a steal, just wanted to point out why 32 teams passed on him multiple times. GREAT UDFA pickup.

Re: Carter -

Bad angles are much more the rule than the exception for him. He was personally responsible for some pretty big blown plays last year by consistently taking very flat angles. looked like he was used to being able to catch almost anyone from behind within a few yards (which, against lesser competition, was no doubt true).

That said, sky high physical talent. Sky. High. The good news is that he has ALL the uncoachable traits and only lacks in areas that are very fixable if he and the coaches are a good marriage.

Not saying Carter isn't a steal, just wanted to point out why 32 teams passed on him multiple times. GREAT UDFA pickup.

Not disagreeing with you, but of the few games I watched, almost all of what looked like bad angles were due to poor play by another defender.  Several times, he played inside leverage with the corner playing outside (particularly on wr screens) and the corner just got blown up.  Pretty much every time I thought "ooh, bad angle", I rewatched the play and decided that I couldn't fault him for it. 

You're right though, everyone passed on him (including us), so expectations should be tempered... as they should for all UDFAs.

At the end of the draft, I thought I read we had 8 roster spots and now we've signed something like 14 UDFA....

Do the draft picks not count yet?  Or have there been some cuts I haven't seen?

Good question. The draft picks may not officially count until signed. Also, many of the UDFAs are only on tryout deals. Only the top UDFAs actually sign. So the status of many players is murky right now.

Vernon Adams has no shot at this roster. He is incapable of playing "within the system", which is what makes Gruden and Cousins click so well. Adams looks like a playmaker, but he only has to create so many plays because he misses so many easy, obvious plays to begin with. He'd drive Gruden nuts, even if you set aside his size.

Watching that video of Harris left me unimpressed with Goff. He seemed to leave touchdowns and first downs all over the field with poor throws

I didn't get to watch Goff much, but the one game I did, he was terrible. Threw like 4 picks (think it was against Utah) I also didn't like his footwork at the combine, slow in his drops. Not sure how he was the more "pro ready" QB, considering how much faster Weintz was in his drops, played in a pro style O and made audibles. At least he has Gurley.

I luv you now Blade!

ROFL! Awwwww GP, right back at yah!

Anthony Lanier, DE, Texas A&M – not much on-line

Ejiro Ederaine, LB Fresno State

- Ederaine (No. 31 pictured) ended his Fresno State career with an eye-opening 36.5 tackles for losses. (DraftNasty.com)

- http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=104876&draftyear=2016&genpos=OLB

Kenneth Springer, DB, NM Highlands

– not much on line

Reggie Diggs, WR, Richmond

- Nfldraftscout: high-priority FA

- http://football.realgm.com/analysis/2772/Draft-Prospecting-The-State-Of-Virginia

Tevin Carter, S, Utah

- http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tevin-carter?id=2555534

Dominick Jackson, OT, Alabama

- http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/dominick-jackson?id=2555134

Michael Cooper, TE, Indiana

- nfldraftscout: high priority free agent

Maurice Harris, WR, Cal

- not much on-line

Geno Matias-Smith, DB, Alabama

- not much on-line

Joe Kerridge, FB, Michigan

- Nfldraftscout: high priority free agent

Kelly Mason, LS, Kentucky

- Not much on-line

Travis Greene, RB, Bowling Green

- Nfldraftscout: 7th round

- http://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-football/2015/8/12/9085213/2015-top-mac-football-players-22-travis-greene-bgsu

Joe Gore, OT Clemson

- Nftdraftscout: 6th – 7th round

Andre McCullough, WR, Rocky Mountain

- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1319349/highlights/233087377

Rob Kelley, RB, Tulane

- http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/1851315/rob-kelley

Shiro Davis, DE, Texas

- http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1996824/shiro-davis

Donzale Ashley, S, Ashland

- Not much on line

Johnta, Hebert, RB, Prairie View A&M

- Not much on line

Kevin Bowen, OT, East Central

- Not much on-line

^^^^^

Wow! This guy looks really good.

Wonder if he could KR or PR...

if I remember correctly he was the primary KR his soph. year. So, yes.

Edit: I could not find what I was looking for (KR stats) but he ran a 4.69 at his pro day. For a 200 lbs scat back, that is not good.

Re Edit: I could not find anything because I was thinking of Rob Kelly. He was Tulanes primary KR his soph year, but only averaged 20 yards a KR and 0 touchdowns.

Lots of those 10-yard TDs, seemed like he wasn't even touched. 

Still, there were some broken tackles.  And some where he had to just power a pile. 

Somehow, he doesn't really look all that fast, to me, either.  (Despite running away from people, a lot.) 

OTOH, one thing I noticed, that seems like some really picky ****.  But after every one of those plays, he didn't waste any time at all, tossing the ball to a zebra before he started celebrating.  Makes me think he's smart, and has the right priorities. 

if I remember correctly he was the primary KR his soph. year. So, yes.

Edit: I could not find what I was looking for (KR stats) but he ran a 4.69 at his pro day. For a 200 lbs scat back, that is not good.

Re Edit: I could not find anything because I was thinking of Rob Kelly. He was Tulanes primary KR his soph year, but only averaged 20 yards a KR and 0 touchdowns.

Dion Lewis and Lesean McCoy both ran awful 40's and even put up terrible jumps. From the numbers you'd think they weren't explosive or fast at all. But they are so agile, so quick, and have such good vision and instincts that they force missed tackle after missed tackle like its nothing.

Sometimes the numbers just don't tell the whole story. Dion Lewis is not an impressive athlete. But for the Patriots this year he forced more missed takcles than anyone else in the NFL while healthy, but a crazy margin.

I don't know a lot about Greene, just saying that the numbers might not represent his true athleticism. The quick scatbacks sometimes are tough to capture via measurables. Especially if they have short legs.

Dion Lewis and Lesean McCoy both ran awful 40's and even put up terrible jumps. From the numbers you'd think they weren't explosive or fast at all. But they are so agile, so quick, and have such good vision and instincts that they force missed tackle after missed tackle like its nothing.

Sometimes the numbers just don't tell the whole story. Dion Lewis is not an impressive athlete. But for the Patriots this year he forced more missed takcles than anyone else in the NFL while healthy, but a crazy margin.

I don't know a lot about Greene, just saying that the numbers might not represent his true athleticism. The quick scatbacks sometimes are tough to capture via measurables. Especially if they have short legs.

He's quick and shows good vision and agility, but he gets run down from behind quite a bit from the tapes I looked at. At the level of competition he played at, it's concerning.

Also, McCoy ran a 4.51 and Lewis ran a a 4.57. Not as bad as you say.

re: Greene ... I'm hopeful they can find a diamond in the rough but let's keep it real ... Bowling Green didn't play anyone with a legit program except Tennessee ... Greene vs. the Vols 9 carries 34 yards 0 TDs (Fred Coppet lead the Falcons with 63 yds on 12 carries)

I think there was only one 2015 UDFA that made a place for himself last season ... Quintin Dunbar

Travis greene is the bigger, potentially better pass blocking version of trey williams (last year). Speed doesn't matter as much u can barely be touched in the open field. His tape shows his vision to break so many tackles, the first guy has no chance when there is room. He just can't be a dancer in the backfield, that will kill his chances in the nfl. As long as he gets up field he would be a great fit. Don't let him get away.

The Redskins have signed 10 undrafted college free agents, according to the NFL transaction report.

• Bowen, Kevin, T, East Central
  • Carter, Tevin, DB, Utah
  • Diggs, Reggie, WR, Richmond
  • Ederaine, Ejiro, LB, Fresno State
  • Gore, Joe, T, Clemson
  • Jackson, Dominick, T, Alabama
  • Kelley, Rob, RB, Tulane
  • Kerridge, Joe, RB, Michigan
  • Lanier, Anthony, DE, Alabama A&M
  • Showers, Valdez, WR, Florida

Archived