Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I have a billion dollar idea but…

Sacks 'n' Stuff

I have a billion dollar idea but…

you know.. so do i !

i was thinking the other night.... just about everybody i know likes, or professes to like, sex.  But there is no aisle at Walmart.   why hasn;t anybody thought of selling THAT??  

really... you can lead a horse to water ..............

I came up with this idea independently, then told a buddy, who then sent me this the next day:

My whole theory was that Electric cars are good (if only because you want to save money on gasoline), but the obvious drawback is the range, and the fact that you have to re-charge the damn thing.

So if you can get a batter up to a range of maybe 200 miles, that would be acceptable. So why not just have interchangeable batteries, you don't own the battery, and each gas station (don't even need to build new electric stations) could just have a rack of about 10 of them.  One trained tech comes out and changes the battery, and you're on you way.  The machine thing isn't really even necessary if you design the vehicle so that the battery is easily changeable (hell, why not just have system where the driver can swap it out, how heavy is a battery?).  Anyway, so this commercial crushed my dream, and I've refused to invent anything since.

you know.. so do i !

i was thinking the other night.... just about everybody i know likes, or professes to like, sex.  But there is no aisle at Walmart.   why hasn;t anybody thought of selling THAT??  

really... you can lead a horse to water ..............

How about a GHB that you can give to horses???

• 1 month later...

Get a patent lawyer and patent it. Then you can discuss it openly.

Not necessarily soliciting a response from Zguy exclusively here...

But here's the deal.

I've got a million dollar idea/invention. It's something that would be used/needed by millions of people every year. It's a product that would cost no more than $5-10/ea, could be manufactured for probably under 50 cents each at volume, and I'm fairly confident in my ability to get this thing off the ground. The only marketing needed would be retail product placement. And I'm pretty sure a big manufacturer would want to license the product from me. So start up costs are relatively cheap, compared to a lot of other inventions and ideas.

But, looking into the patent process, it seems like it's a really good idea to hire an attorney to research existing patents first. The problem is they charge $5-10k, and that's needed before I can even explore commercial feasibility. I've got a two month old kid and we're looking at buying or building a new house soon. I really can't invest that much out of my own savings.

Question for the board... Anyone have experience navigating the patent process on their own? Any other options I'm missing other than trying to do the patent process solo? Something that would have me investing about a maximum of $2-3k up front.

Not necessarily soliciting a response from Zguy exclusively here...

But here's the deal.

I've got a million dollar idea/invention. It's something that would be used/needed by millions of people every year. It's a product that would cost no more than $5-10/ea, could be manufactured for probably under 50 cents each at volume, and I'm fairly confident in my ability to get this thing off the ground. The only marketing needed would be retail product placement. And I'm pretty sure a big manufacturer would want to license the product from me. So start up costs are relatively cheap, compared to a lot of other inventions and ideas.

But, looking into the patent process, it seems like it's a really good idea to hire an attorney to research existing patents first. The problem is they charge $5-10k, and that's needed before I can even explore commercial feasibility. I've got a two month old kid and we're looking at buying or building a new house soon. I really can't invest that much out of my own savings.

Question for the board... Anyone have experience navigating the patent process on their own? Any other options I'm missing other than trying to do the patent process solo? Something that would have me investing about a maximum of $2-3k up front.

An associate of mine went through this years ago. He hired an attorney and got something in the patent process right away while he explored if any existed already. It turned out there wasn't and he was awarded I believe a few patents. 

He has made quite a bit of money from this and he asked a bunch of us if we wanted to invest 10+ years ago and I still regret not pulling the trigger.

So If you are looking for investors I might be interested.

Get a patent lawyer and patent it. Then you can discuss it openly.

I was looking into this recently for an idea I had. What I found in my research (and to be honest, I tired of it eventually) was that you can't just patent an idea. There has to be something of value to patent (a technology, machinery, etc.). 

For example for anyone who's familiar with TopGolf...you could patent the technology that is used to track the balls and assign points based on where they land. But you couldn't patent the idea to have a driving range with games and points. 

At least that's how I understand it. 

An associate of mine went through this years ago. He hired an attorney and got something in the patent process right away while he explored if any existed already. It turned out there wasn't and he was awarded I believe a few patents.

He has made quite a bit of money from this and he asked a bunch of us if we wanted to invest 10+ years ago and I still regret not pulling the trigger.

So If you are looking for investors I might be interested.

Thanks. At this stage probably not but I'll be keeping the investor idea in mind as funding becomes required in the future.

*I should note because it probably sounded like I needed funding, I'm more looking for the most economical way to do the patent process right now. The problem with investors at this stage is that the idea itself isn't worth all that much without actual, tangible returns that I can assign value to. So I'd probably have to give up way too much equity just for the small amount of funding that I don't (technically) need.

Archived