Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's the largest Vehicle you've ever driven?

Burgold

I used to drive the truck when I worked as a caterer. It was probably about 17 to 20 feet long. It was wide, but it was easy to drive. What I really hate is driving with a dolly or trailer. One of the most nerve-wracking drives I've had was towing a car several hours on a hilly, fast, windy highway on a dolly with a Ford Ranger. White knuckled at the slightest hint of wiggle from the back.

50 ton international payhauler. At an environment recycling plant. Drove it up dirt cliffs, backed it to the edge and dumped. Scary as ****. 8 8foot tall tires.

71 Mack 18 wheeler is what I learned to drive rigs in. Hauling water or heaver equipment.

Was plowing the King of Prussia mall in a 900 series Kawasaki articulating wheel loader with a 30 foot blade. The bucket could fill an 18 ton dump in 2 1/4 scoops.

Had to get fuel and went to the gas station. No one was supposed to be on the roads. I pull in and had to climb out, to make sure I fit under the canopy at the pumps. I'm about 25 feet up. I look down and had to wait for some dude with a tricked out H2 to finish and move. Ha-ha. Kinda stole his thunder.

400 series excavator was probably the biggest, next to the pay hauler. Used it to crush concrete.

Used to drive our film equipment truck to locations. It just barely fit under the 26.000 lb limit.

Once, on the crowded 405 in L.A. - where everyone tailgates at 80 mph until they run over a couch - I noticed the cars in front of us swerving wildly until I'm face to face with an (apparently empty) 55 gallon drum, sitting there defiantly like a land mine in the middle of our lane. With no room to swerve or stop, I braced for the impact.

I shouldn't have bothered. It felt like running over a coke can in a Corolla. Hopefully, the people behind me had no problems dealing with a now pancaked oil drum.

Gave me a new appreciation of what might happen if I rear-ended a family in their minivan. After that, tailgating was never an option.

Gmk 5275, its a 275 ton crane.

About 135,000 lbs going down the road with the boom on and no counterweights.

Pretty good size rig to try to squeeze through the streets of boston let me tell ya.

And that same piece of equipment ive driven around the jobsite at 144 tons.

When I had my learners permit, all of our cars were manual.  So I had some experience driving a stick.  In high school and college, my car was an automatic.  So it had been about 6 years since I had driven a stick.

I got job my senior year of college working for U-Haul as a yard dog.  Part of my job was to transfer trucks. It was only my second week on the job and I hadn't done any transfers, just driving them in the parking lot.  My boss told me and the hitch mechanic that we had to go to the shop (about 10-15 miles from our store) downtown (Memphis).  He said there were 2 trucks and 2 trailers to pick up.

When we got to the shop we exchanged our 15 footer and the shop guy told us which trucks and trailers they were.

I had to drive a 26 foot International 5 speed with a 12 foot trailer on the back.  I was so nervous, but I just followed Mark all the way back to the store.

So, approximately 36 feet of vehicle.

Catering company F-350 van, full of tables, plates, etc. circa 1998...scared to death, couldn't see a thing behind me.  Had to slam on the brakes, and the tables slid forward & hit the back of my seat.  Took the surface streets...no way was I getting on an ATL highway in that sum*****.

Archived