Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's the largest Vehicle you've ever driven?

Burgold

So, on Monday I'm woken up by the sound of someone slamming into my parked car. Luckily, the person who struck me knocked on the door and gave me all his info. His insurance agreed to pay for the repairs and give me a rental car in the interim.

They gave me a Sienna. It drives well, but the thing's a monster. I feel like I should help someone move or haul stuff. It's just a ridiculously big vehicle for a single guy with no kids.

Other than a Uhaul truck, it's probably the biggest vehicle I've ever driven. What is the largest monster you've ever put on the road?

I've driven a Ford Expedition. I drove that a good bit.

But I've also driven a short bus. It held about 14 people, but it was just like a car otherwise. Automatic transmission, not hard to handle. The only issue I had was trying to figure out which button closed the door. It had a push button open and close and not the typical bus door lever.

Rental truck from U-Haul for moving.  17' foot or some such.  I was helping my friend (now wife) move from DC to NYC.  It was a stick shift which was a joy in NYC proper, plus maneuvering it on some of the narrow streets in her Bensonhurst neighborhood was fun.

I've driven a Ford Expedition. I drove that a good bit.

But I've also driven a short bus. It held about 14 people, but it was just like a car otherwise. Automatic transmission, not hard to handle. The only issue I had was trying to figure out which button closed the door. It had a push button open and close and not the typical bus door lever.

You drive Cowboys fans around?  How'd you get that job?

Ford F-350 for a short time while helping move some furniture. Actually, this wasn't so long ago. I definitely was scared though, with those monster blind spots. Made me glad to hop in my smallish G37 coupe again.

I drove a F-150 supercab for a while when I first got my license. Hated it, since backing out of parking lots was always a PITA.

Rental truck from U-Haul for moving.  17' foot or some such.  I was helping my friend (now wife) move from DC to NYC.  It was a stick shift which was a joy in NYC proper, plus maneuvering it on some of the narrow streets in her Bensonhurst neighborhood was fun.

U-Haul for me.   Funny story about my wife and a UHaul in NYC.  I was living there, and she was moving there to be with me.  Somehow, I ended up in the truck, but she's driving (I guess she picked me up somewhere in the city so I could direct her to the apartment, but she was already driving the truck and her name was on the rental, but anyway) in making a turn she clipped the back end of a city bus.  

So we've turned and we know she hit the bus, but the bus kept straight and just kept going.  She's yelling at me, What should I do.  I shrugged and said keep going.

We'd already really completed the turn.  We weren't going to be able to back a UHaul truck back into the intersection and go straight or go around the block and then chase down a city bus to tell it we clipped it.

After that though we stopped and I took over the driving.

When I went to Germany to visit my friend, he arranged for my rent a car after I had told him I was looking forward to renting a BMW and checking out the autobahn.  He said he could get me a deal and it was cheaper in town than at the airport.  Sounded reasonable.

I figured a 3class sedan as it was just me.  When I showed up at the rent a car co. they had an enormous black 528i station wagon with a turbo diesel.  Nothing else in stock that was better.   Had it for a week and it was awesome car frankly but I felt silly driving around the little towns in that beast with my one little suitcase way in the back..  I am not a big guy either..  It did do well on the autobahn.  

Largest I've driven was an M1IP main battle tank. Weight of 60 Tons.  Fastest I've ever taken it was on a Korean Highway and passed a car doing 55mph (that was fun although I wasn't driving that time - I was commanding - it was a stupid thing to do too but then 2LTs do stupid things).

Now, Just waiting for JMS to come along and say M1s can only travel about 43mph.

Largest I've driven was an M1IP main battle tank. Weight of 60 Tons. 

You may just win. 60 tons is about half of what Albert Haynesworth eats during his midnight snack.Not many can compete with that.

I doubt you went over 54. 55 is ridiculous. 54 I can believe. ;)

When I was in high school I was a weekend security guard on a construction site.   Just basically sitting around making sure no one stole all the building materials and stuff.   There was a big bulldozer on the site.   For some reason, someone left the keys in the ignition all weekend.  

So I couldn't resist, I started her up and she started rolling forward and I could not figure out how to steer or slow down or do anything.  The controls made no sense at all.  Apparently one of the foot pedals is to slow down and one to speed up or something and WTF.  About 10 feet before the edge of the job site, just before I ran into the side of a building on the next lot over, I managed to turn it off. I abandoned ship about 80 feet from where I started.   :ph34r:    

Yah...  I admit it.  I was designed for sissy white collar work. 

Largest I've driven was an M1IP main battle tank. Weight of 60 Tons.  Fastest I've ever taken it was on a Korean Highway and passed a car doing 55mph (that was fun although I wasn't driving that time - I was commanding - it was a stupid thing to do too but then 2LTs do stupid things).

Now, Just waiting for JMS to come along and say M1s can only travel about 43mph.

Awesome!   

Archived