Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Gravitational Waves Discovered [!]

grhqofb5

So if relativity is mostly proven today, quantum mechanics incorrect?

No.  QM has been mostly proven true too.  There are plenty of phenomenon that are predicted by QM, but not GR that we can observe.  We have two mostly proven two theories that disagree.

We're still missing something (a theory of everything (Toe)).

No. QM has been mostly proven true too. There are plenty of phenomenon that are predicted by QM, but not GR that we can observe. We have two mostly proven two theories that disagree.

The theory of everything is the modern day equivalent of the Ether.

They're both correct.

And incompatible as they're currently understood. Hence things like superstring theory, etc.

The theory of everything is the modern day equivalent of the Ether.

I dunno, I think Hunter S. Thompson proved the theory of ether pretty well.

Steve Jobs was at the intersection of technology and liberal arts. I'm at the intersection of science and sophomoric jokes.

Elessar would explain it like this ...

General Relativity accurately describes nature on the scale of the extremely large, i.e. your momma.

Quantum Mechanics accurately describes nature on the scale of the extremely small, i.e. your penis.

I hope that you found that helpful

So my penis is quantum mechanics and Corcaighs ego is relativity.

This is not a joking matter. I think you fail to see the gravity of the situation.

Special or general? I'm still confused

Over sufficiently small regions of spacetime they are the same. Whether that is funny or not depends on your frame of reference.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/feb/11/gravitational-waves-discovery-hailed-as-breakthrough-of-the-century

I'm sure someone can better explain this then me: though we've had the math for how gravity works going all the way back to before we found Neptune, we were never able to scientifically observe gravity as an actual thing with any man-made instrument. Gravity is a very weak force, but its definitely there.

Additionally, all our instruments (up to this point now) can only see so far back in time (about 400,000 years after Big Bang, look into the WMAP probe). Using gravity waves to look at the early universe could allow us to look even further back in time and prove there was ever a singularity to begin with (basically prove the Big Bang theory, which as of right now, is a sound theory, but still just a theory).

So now we have the instruments to observe gravity? Or this discovery will lead to the development of instruments to observe gravity waves because we now know that they exist?  WTF.

No.  QM has been mostly proven true too.  There are plenty of phenomenon that are predicted by QM, but not GR that we can observe.  We have two mostly proven two theories that disagree.

Jesus Christ is what we are all missing.

This whole thing has "shenanigans" written all over it. So some of the scientists at LIGO have been working at this problem for decades and they needed two multimillion dollar locations with super sensitive pieces of equipment to hear a cosmic "burp" that happened millions/billions of years ago. 

Seems like a couple of scientists needed to show that their decades worth of work wasn't for nothing. 

"Yup, there it is! We heard it. That piece of fuzz, that bit of static? Two blackholes merging."

WWe1bS.gif

Does this open the door for manipulating gravity waves ?

Also does this the existence of the graviton, like the photon for EM waves?

QM would expect there to be gravitons, but the interaction of a single graviton with anything is so incredibly weak that the technology to detect it is far beyond our current understanding. At the particle level gravity is about 40 orders of magnitude weaker than electrical force. That's an awful lot of zeros.

Does this open the door for manipulating gravity waves ?

Also does this the existence of the graviton, like the photon for EM waves?

Well, you can't manipulate it if you can't find it so this would seem to be a first step.

A graviton would be a potential cause of there being gravity waves, but you can explain gravity waves without a graviton too.

Archived