Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 ES GMs mock draft - and we're spent.

Epochalypse

So I've been thinking about a way to speed up the process next year. We went with a 12-hour on-the-clock time to deal with people in varying timezones. Instead of that, maybe we could have each GM select for themselves an 8-hour (maybe 6-hour?) period that their clock doesn't run (have it listed next to their name on the first post) that should cover their sleeping hours, and then a 4-hour on-the-clock time. That way we should be able to mostly avoid the 12-hour-long waits in the middle of the day due to people not checking in that gets us antsy, while still giving everyone the opportunity to sleep at night regardless of timezone.

So I've been thinking about a way to speed up the process next year. We went with a 12-hour on-the-clock time to deal with people in varying timezones. Instead of that, maybe we could have each GM select for themselves an 8-hour (maybe 6-hour?) period that their clock doesn't run (have it listed next to their name on the first post) that should cover their sleeping hours, and then a 4-hour on-the-clock time. That way we should be able to mostly avoid the 12-hour-long waits in the middle of the day due to people not checking in that gets us antsy, while still giving everyone the opportunity to sleep at night regardless of timezone.

I was in the camp of changing but I am thinking a little different now.

We keep it 12 hours, but once you miss a pick, you are either replaced or the commissioner starts making your picks. That is of course unless you have a known issue. For example this time gallen was having computer problems (so frustrating). The commish could make the picks but when they get back they get back in no problem. The final decision on returning is 100% the commissioner's and are final.

Also, there should be a more emphasis on short lists, especially after the 3rd round. If you are within 2 or 3 picks and you are going to bed or you have to go to work, give someone a top 3 in order of preference. Get someone who has just picked or the commissioner. Although I have to think everyone doing this is honest. That really helped the last few rounds when people did that.

The secondary option for me would be for 12 hours the first 2 rounds and 8 hours the other 5.

We have yet to see this run into the draft, and if we weren't out there signing All-Pro CB's there would be nothing else going on right now other than draft speculation...so why the rush to change what's worked? It's a slow draft but it always finishes in time.

True Conn. I think the short lists are a great way to go, but I'd consider a list of 5 - allows for more streaks of fast picking. I trust we'd all be honest, so the person with the short list could just ask who's available to take their list (that will be on for a while and isn't picking or considering a trade up of course).

True Conn. I think the short lists are a great way to go, but I'd consider a list of 5 - allows for more streaks of fast picking. I trust we'd all be honest, so the person with the short list could just ask who's available to take their list (that will be on for a while and isn't picking or considering a trade up of course).

I could never do you all the disservice of giving someone a 'shortlist' to pick for me. 

What would you all do without my in-depth draftee introductions? 

Ya'll would be lost without them. 

#investigateandeducate  :D.

Hail. 

Titans Picks

1. Jalen Ramsey  CB/S/lb?? FSU  6'1 209

Play-maker. Long and Fast with quickest of twitches. Range and Instinct. Can play nickel,free, weakside, and can
rack up tfl's. Good tackler and if he picks it off...its 'prime' time. Could be a terror for offenses
coming from everywhere. Can replace Cox or Searcy.

2. Taylor Decker Ot The Ohio St. University   6'7 310

Great draft for a RT in which the Titans need. Titans could quickly become a dominant line again
with good coaching. Decker is a tough guy who could play LT and is a steal in the second.

3. Hassan Ridgeway DT Texas  6'3 303

He'll get bigger. Texas DT playing for Dick LeBeau....(Casey Hampton)
Run Stuffer that can move. If he wasn't injured a lot this season he would've been in the convo for
the 1st rd. Early entrant who some say should've went back to school. Hopefully wouldn't be
asked to do too much as he will sub for Al Woods and Jurrell Casey. Karl Klug will push Hassan.

4. Miles Killebrew SS Southern Utah 6'2 217

Another speciman going to a talented back-end. Miles is big and fast and will get smarter playing
for Lebeau. Big Hitter could become what we all wanted Laran to be. Will back up Rashad Johnson.

5. Matt Judon     edge Gr.Valley st.6'3 275 33 7/8 arms 4.73 40, 35 vert, 30 reps

The most sacks at any level last year in college. Has the look. A monster at his level. Stood out to me at
the combine. Orakpo's back up at first.

6. Daryl Worley   cb  West Va. 6'1 203 33 3/8 inch arms

Talented. All big 12 corner who attacked the ball. Will come up with Ramsey even learning the safety (fs) spot. Press guy so maybe
Lebeau will be able to get him up to speed in a few years. I have a feeling he'll go 4-5th round range next week.

6. Devon Cajuste  TE stanford  6'4 234 10 3/4 mitts

Can back-up Delanie and even be on the field together for a match-up problem for defenses. Ran in the 4.6ish range with nice hops. Smart, insane 3-cone.
Another steal.

7. Kevin Peterson cb ok.st 5'10 180

One of my favorite cb's in this draft. Reminds me of D.Hall with his confidense and fiestyness. All Big 12. Went against great comp in college and wasn't abused.

There it is ....I win . Heavy on the secondary. Lebeau 's 1st year as DC and these guys will have a lot of study and work to put in.

Rooks usually aren't forced to play all that much in this system and since the secondary is already decent I decided make sure there is no drop off in the coming years when we can go from ball control to offensive juggernaut. With the trade, the Titans might be the ones looking across at us in a couple years in the ship.

The Bills Picks 1st. N SPENCE edge 2nd C JONES DT/DE2nd D THOMPSON DB 4th K GARRETT WR 4th J FORREST ILB 6th B.Allen QB 6th J MICKENS WR.

Would award myself a B-/C+. A team strapped of cap space that needed depth. Managed to get a promising young spine in place. Also managed to get a great slot WR in Mickens he has durability concerns because of his size but he has the swagger that Ryan looks for. Very happy to get brandon Allen who was the only player I really coveted. Think at worst he ends up being a solid bridge QB

We have yet to see this run into the draft, and if we weren't out there signing All-Pro CB's there would be nothing else going on right now other than draft speculation...so why the rush to change what's worked? It's a slow draft but it always finishes in time.

For me it's not a matter of rushing it. But there were times where it came to a screeching halt where we would get 1 or 2 picks over 2 days. Not looking for massive change just maybe a tweek or two to make it go a little more smoothly.

Can I come? PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I'll be REAL good. Promise! (Or REAL bad if we're fully indulging haha!).

Don't even think about it. :D

So gallen is back but I cant send him a pm. Guess we'll see if he notices this and wants to make his last pick.

Looks like he hasn't noticed so far...

I'm ready to go and have a pick I'm liking for Mr irrelevant. Trying to keep up. I can pay at this point if people are cool with it.

With your luck, your Mr. Irrelevant will be picked at 252 and you'll have to think about it again.

I could never do you all the disservice of giving someone a 'shortlist' to pick for me. 

#investigateandeducate  :D.

Hail. 

I have to admit I don't read them all. lol

And I believe I'm not the only one. :P

Gallen has until a little after 1800 so not much longer. Once his times done I'll make his last pick if I have to and then jsharrin can go.

At which point we can continue championing how successful we were for the next 5 days until the real teams tell us where they think these players will go. We'll be wrong a lot, they'll be wrong a lot, and life will go on. But of course we are all just hoping we are right a bit more than they are, except for Scot who we all hope is right all the time.

Gallen has until a little after 1800 so not much longer. Once his times done I'll make his last pick if I have to and then jsharrin can go.

At which point we can continue championing how successful we were for the next 5 days until the real teams tell us where they think these players will go. We'll be wrong a lot, they'll be wrong a lot, and life will go on. But of course we are all just hoping we are right a bit more than they are, except for Scot who we all hope is right all the time.

I believe Scott should hire some of us as real scout, because we just rock.

Alright no Gallen so here is the Panthers last pick.

I went back and forth between Jakeem Grant and Trevor Davis, as I was looking to use this final pick to help out the Panthers dead last kick return team.

In the end I went with...

TREVOR DAVIS, WR, California

Just has more potential to become something other than a returner, but it was close.

On to Mr. Irrelevant and the end of our draft.  Jsharrin55, the floor is yours.

#investigateandeducate :D.

Hail.

Lol! Hey, it's not like teams give their press conferences immediately following a pick, right? We'd just follow the model. :)

So I'll go ahead and recap the Panthers draft quick:

1.30 - EMMANUEL OGBAH, DE, Oklahoma St

2.62 - XAVIEN HOWARD, CB, Baylor

3.93 - JORDAN HOWARD, RB, Indiana

Then the Patriots stopped by and we lost all communication with the Panthers War Room, so the Bears FO graciously stepped up and drafted...

4.129 - KEVIN BYARD, SS, Middle Tennessee St

6.196 - CALEB BENENOCH, OT, UCLA

6.204 - DEMARCUS ROBINSON, WR, Florida

7.252 - TREVOR DAVIS, WR, California

And for the team I actually was supposed to draft for, the Chicago Bears:

1.11 - SHAQ LAWSON, EDGE, Clemson

I didn't really like the 11th slot after guys I was hoping would fall didn't, but Lawson seemed to be a good fit for the Bears as DE/LB pass rusher to help out the Bears anemic pass rush.

2.41 - VERNON BUTLER, DL, Louisiana Tech

I almost considered moving up into the end of the 1st round to get this guy, who can play anywhere along the line for the Bears.  I like Butler.

3.72 - KEANU NEAL, SS, Florida

The Bears needed a SS in the worse way with Antrel Rolle currently their guy there.  That is not a good news story.  This was a perfect match of value and need, as Neal is an instant upgrade to Rolle.

4.127 - ROBERTO AGUAYO, K, Florida St

As I mentioned when I made the pick, Robbie Gould is expensive, aging, and planning on eating junk food to gain weight.  The Bears need an accurate field goal kicker and Aguayo looks like the best kicker to come out in a while.

5.141 - HARLAN MILLER, CB, Southeastern Louisiana

Currently Tracy Porter is a starting corner for the Bears.  As a Redskins fan, I can tell you that counting on Tracy Porter as your starting corner is not a plan for success.

5.150 - JOE DAHL, G, Washington St

Just a mean, nasty OLineman to help bolster the Bears OL.  I'm banking on Dahl pushing Slauson to Center and making for a very strong interior Oline with Dahl, Slauson and Kyle Long.

6.185 - MORITZ WILHELM BOEHRINGER, WR, Unicorns

This was a gamble, but in round 6 is where I like to make these gambles.  His only weakness is lack of experience, but his upside is a number one wide receiver and you're not going to find too many that can be that at this point in the draft.  We have Alshon Jeffery and Kevin White is coming back from injury, so we have time to groom Boehringer and the players in front of him to help with that.  The other option is to put some more weight on him and make him a move TE.

6.206 - ROY ROBERTSON-HARRIS, EDGE, Texas El-Paso

Because you can never have enough pass rushers, especially with as bad as the Bears were with this last year.  Lot of potential.

7.240 - BEAU SANDLAND, TE, Montana St

I wanted to come out of the draft with a TE seeing as Martellus Bennett was gone.  Sandland provides a good option, though as I mentioned I was hoping Braunecker fell to me.  This was the only time I was shooting for need, everywhere else, BPA for me.

7.244 - BLAKE COUNTESS, DB, Auburn

Pure speculation on my part.  I think this guy turns into something.  A football player as Scot would say.  Hope I'm right.

I also managed to get Cleveland's 3rd round pick in 2017.  So I started with 9 picks and ended up with 10 and one next year and still got what I believe was some serious talent.  Only hole I would have liked to fill was backup developmental QB, but the value was never there when I was picking.

Happy birthday jsharrin55

And congratulations and thank you to all of you.  We have made it two years in a row of completing this thing in time for the real draft.  Give yourselves a big round of applause.  I appreciate your time and effort for making this thing work and for now allowing me to step away from thread every now and then now that this thing is over for another year.

Look forward to seeing how the real draft and these players do going forward.

Archived