Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 ES GMs mock draft - and we're spent.

Epochalypse

Well I had intended this to be the Bears taking Ben Braunecker but the Falcons ruined that, so......

With the 240th pick in the ES GM mock draft, the Chicago Bears select...

BEAU SANDLAND, TE, Montana St

Beau-Sandland-1.jpg

And with the 241st pick in the ES GM mock draft, the 49ers select...

DEAN LOWRY, DE, Northwestern

So the 49ers swapped GMs before their first pick and came up with...

1.7 - JARED GOFF, QB, California

2.37 - KENTRELL BROTHERS, LB, Missouri

3 .68- CJ PROSISE, RB, Notre Dame

Then San Francisco had their second GM swap during this draft...

4.105 - LANDON TURNER, G, North Carolina

4.133 - KOLBY LISTENBEE, WR, TCU

5.142 - WILLIE BEAVERS, OT, Western Michigan

5.145 - REES ODHIAMBO, OL, Boise St

5.174 - BJ GOODSON, LB, Clemson

6.178 - DJ READER, DT, Clemson

6.211 - JUSTON BURRIS, DB, North Carolina St

6.213 - DANIEL BRAVERMAN, WR, Western Michigan

7.241 - DEAN LOWRY, DE, Northwestern

and the New York Jets 5th round pick next year.

I'm really busy at the office today. So don't freak out when it might take some time for me to send in my pick.

You're Dutch. Since when have you done ANYTHING fast and not TOTALLY laid back? We Europeans account for that.  ;).

Just the silly Americans who don't know who get all uptight. 

Hail. 

With the 242nd pick, Rd 7 pick 21, of the 2016 ES Mock Draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars have selected:

Andy Janovich, FB, Nebraska

Southern+Miss+v+Nebraska+dIP8VYrzwrWl.jp

GM Statement: "Janovich is another all around utility player that playd FB at Nebraska but also have some experience as RB or even LB. He's also a good special teamer that plays tough football. Good blocker he was a valuable asset to Ameer Abdullah's draft status last year. We believe he'll be able to help us and TJ Yeldon in our running game and passing game as a blocker, mostly."

So with Janovich, this concludes the Jacksonville Jaguars 2016 ES Mock draft. I'll have a short debrief of the full draft when the draft will be over.

You're Dutch. Since when have you done ANYTHING fast and not TOTALLY laid back? We Europeans account for that.  ;).

Just the silly Americans who don't know who get all uptight. 

Hail. 

C'mon now, such stereotypes! The Brits wrote the book on being uptight! We Americans are gun slinging cowboys! Please get it right! :P

Now, about this Cowboy thing .....

Hail. 

So let's see.

Chooses to be Dallas Cowboys for ES GM mock draft 1

Chooses to be Dallas Cowboys for ES GM mock draft 2

Gets selected for opportunity to be Redskins GM, has to FIRST CHECK TO MAKE SURE HE GETS DALLAS COWBOYS BACK NEXT YEAR BEFORE ACCEPTING

As Redskins GM in mock draft this year, trades the Redskins 2nd round pick next year to the Cowboys while reducing our total number of picks this year as well

Your McCarthyism is weak, young padawan.  You've been dark side the whole time...

BcOCqULCQAANy7N.jpg

Always with the details. 

That's next year. This year, I'm wearing a headress and carrying a bow and arrow and hunting for Cowboys. 

And I found me one!

Hail. 

Here is a little geography lesson on the US - not all Cowboys are dallast cowboys!

I stopped paying attention to what was happening here for a few hours, and boy, things got weird.

Anyways, *ahem*

Saints draft recap:

Round 1, Pick 12: A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama

Round 2, Pick 38: Leonard Floyd, OLB/DE, Georgia

Round 3, Pick 78: Pharoh Cooper, WR, South Carolina

Round 4, Pick 112: Connor McGovern, OG, Missouri

Round 7: Pick 237: Briean Boddy-Calhoun, CB, Minnesota

Trades: 1 trade

Traded away: 2016 Pick 47 (2nd round), 2016 5th rounder, and 2017 4th rounder

Received: 2016 Pick 38

Coming in, I had 4 primary positional targets for the Saints, and 2 secondary positional targets.  Primary were DT, DE, ILB, and OG.  Secondary were WR and CB.

I'd say we got solid picks on 4 of those 6.

A'Shawn Robinson should immediately, be a solid DT.  He's probably not elite in any specific aspect, but he's all around very good, and that should help him get time early on and remain a mainstay.

Lloyd I think will prove to be a solid DE.  If he adds a little weight, he can make that jump to the NFL, and as a pass rusher, he's very solid.  He will probably take a year or two to really come into his own, but I think he'll evolve into a high level NFL starter, who can put up high single digit sacks each year, and maybe even sneak past 10 some years.

Pharoh Cooper is a Randall Cobb clone, on a team that wants and needs a Randall Cobb.  He'll be exciting and fun and all around useful, and completes their corp of weapons nicely.  Brees has weapons, and if and when we try to replace him, the next guy will have weapons.

Those 3 get significant snaps pretty much immediately.

Connor McGovern might come along a little more slowly, but he fits the system like a glove.  He'll be someone who will get a lot of instruction and given a chance with an open competition at LG.  He may not immediately win the position, but he will get the opportunity.  I think with him, we can expect him to be the first man up in case of injury, a plug in if someone is playing poorly, and a likely starter from 2017 onwards.

Those 4 I think are solid.

Boddy-Calhoun is sort of a band-aid on the position of CB.  He's a slot CB at this level.  In that position, he has starting capability (probably starting in 2017 or 2018), but it limits his overall usefulness to the unit.  I would not call CB "fully addressed."

And obviously, WLB was not really touched on.  That was somewhat inevitable.  I was not particularly enamored with the prospects outside of Jaylon Smith, who needed a year to heal anyway.  Too few linebackers with coverage skills.  Not an ideal situation, but them's the breaks, as I felt strongly that I'd rather get a match at a secondary need position (like with Cooper) than a non-match at a primary need position.

Of course, IRL the Saints traded their 6th, so that left me with a little less versatility, and the trade up for Floyd was just too good to pass up.  5 picks is definitely thin, but my philosophy is to get 3 starting caliber players* every year.  I think Robinson, Floyd, and Cooper are that.  I think McGovern will prove to be that too.  We'll aim for volume in 2017 or 2018; this year, we didn't have volume going in, so we don't sweat that we didn't get volume coming out.

*starting caliber as of year 3, though earlier is always encouraged

Don't know what GHH thinks about Dog draft this year, but I believe his picks in Round 5 & 6 were clearly his bests picks, and it's not even close.

You're a funny man.

20105elmer_fudd2.jpeg

But hey, my 5th went towards a trade to get a bona fide first rounder at 38, so you're partially right.

I ran through a bunch of folks for this but I think I'll just go with

BLAKE COUNTESS, CB, Auburn

635818986945308406-USATSI-8893964.jpg

This kid graduated from Michigan then decided to transfer to Auburn for his last year of eligibility.  For that one year he was there he ended up getting voted as the team's defensive MVP, which shows he can walk into a situation and earn the respect of his peers.  He played CB, safety and special teams, so he's versatile.

He wasn't invited to the Combine, but during Auburn's pro day he put up 21 reps of 225 lbs, which would have been the top total for all DBs who did attend the Combine.  It even bested three Auburn linemen.  He ran an unofficial 4.49 40 which was fastest time at the Auburn pro day (Jonathan Jones chose not to run again), and also had the top vertical jump (36.5") for the team.  He also had a 10'2" broad jump.  Keep in mind, he's 5'9 3/4" and 184 lbs. 

He's met with a whopping 13 teams according to the National Football Post, so while I had a hard time finding him in some of the rankings, the NFL knows him and is showing interest.  He's currently finishing up his Master's degree while he waits for the draft.

And that is the Bears last pick.  I'll do a run down at some point.

Archived