Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Race and the Panthers

codeorama

I mean it's tough for some people in this country to watch minorities succeed and even worse when they have exuberant personalities. I don't understand how that's even up for debate, unless you are part of the delusional crowd that thinks racism is dead.

It doesn't mean that all Cam Newton "haters" are racists. But some are.

Modern sports and racists have an interesting relationship. Back in the days stormfront had a thread dedicated to the Indianapolis Colts because they had the highest percentage of white players in the NFL. All members of the forum adopted the Colts as their "team". It was absurd.

Agree with this (first paragraph) . Hard time not think there is a racial component to some of this. Most likely people that are racists not going to be on Internet chatboards or ES and some people annoyed with his "look at me attitude". Warren Moon was asked about this and said he wouldnt do it the same, but that is Cam's personality.

Everyone dances now in the NFL, but no one gets as much flak as Cam Newton (this year). JJ Watt is rarely criticized and just as flambouyant with his celebrations... everyone seems to love them.

Regardless, if the Panthers win the Super Bowl look at his legacy. BCS championship (in one year), Heisman, #1 pick, NFL MVP, Super Bowl champion (imagine if he is MVP). I didn't pay too much attention to his game until this season, he was leaps and bounds as a passer it seems.

I like the Watt comparison. Not sure anybody has a bigger ego than Watt yet not much is made of his antics.

imagine the fallout if there was a Safety or CB that took a selfie pregame and after Cam beat him for a TD pass Cam poses over top of the guy taking a selfie As his celebration then telling press postgame the defender didn't take his job seriously enough and he was high school -ish.

Man, this thread is just missing 2 more for the es race debate super duper orgy.

Somebody PM RonArtest15 and get him in on this ASAP

Yeah, the old "I don't see color, ever... and it personally offends me that anyone might suggest that society isn't completely colorblind because it might reflect badly on me somehow as a white guy" argument.

I find it very interesting, and I'm not sure why it happens.    I call it the Honorary_Hog phenomenon.  He was not a racist, but any talk about race really got him boiling mad, instantaneously.  He always felt everyone was accusing him personally as soon as the discussion started.   Weird.

You didn't know that you get White Avenger points for squashing out talk of racism whenever it should arise? "Race has nothing to do with it, I'd feel the same about any white person who..." gets you like 75 points every time you use it.

I'll fill you in at the next white guys meeting.

I'm saving up my points to get bagpipes.

Just catching up...

I HATED the Kirk Cousins "you like that" crap.  Sorry. Just being honest.  It was douchy IMO.  Again, I get it. A lot of people enjoy that stuff. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying I don't like it.

As a High School coach, I teach my kids humility. I always expect them to act like they've been there before.  IMO, one of the most intimidating things a team can do is to just go about their business.  When you act like a fool, you often motivate the other team. You piss them off and give them a spark.  Just my opinion.

I like the Watt comparison. Not sure anybody has a bigger ego than Watt yet not much is made of his antics.

imagine the fallout if there was a Safety or CB that took a selfie pregame and after Cam beat him for a TD pass Cam poses over top of the guy taking a selfie As his celebration then telling press postgame the defender didn't take his job seriously enough and he was high school -ish.

Somebody PM RonArtest15 and get him in on this ASAP

I hate Watt.. I"m sure he's a nice guy.  Just something about him rubs me the wrong way.

i didn't mind the initial "you like that!" it was an emotional outburst from a guy flush with victory leaving the field.

Completely understandable. Human, and I like human. I didn't think it was classless or arrogant,, i thought it was excitement, plain and simple,, and exclamation of victory.

Unfortunately, it seems to be all folks will identify with his great season.

I don't mind showboats either..  football is a game. Have some fun. 
At the same time, i love it when the Redskins smash a showboat. if you're going to dance, fine, but be ready for the relish fans will feel when you get smoked.

Although i don't know how the Panthers aren't flagged for excessive celebration sometimes. Sometimes it seems to take a long time for them to clear the end zone after they score.

But, as always in sports.. if you don't want them celebrating,, stop them.

(and the Broncos ain't gonna stop Cam.)

~Bang

everything related to race is dumb to you.

Sounds like a fun existence tbh

Seems like the only idea of racism for some folks here is a dude in a white sheet burning crosses.

Not true at all.

Though I see why, if your goal is to constantly complain about racism and find it even when it doesn't exist, one might think that.

Apparently the only reason you can criticize a public person that is black is because you're racist.

Someone should really publish what the rules are, might help move things along.

Archived