Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Schedule Speculation, Rumors, and Predictions

kleese

Lol...This fanbase. Just to let everyone know, our strength of schedule is 17th.

Sure, but for any specific 16 opponents, there are some schedule arrangements that help us a little, and some that hurt us.

For example, giving us the Pats after the bye week hurts us, because the Pats are an autoloss regardless, so it wastes the bye.  Giving us the Cowboys after the bye week helps, because we want as much prep as possible against our main rival.

Brutal...On the bright side, QB Cousins may be cheaper after we finish under .500

Don't count on it.  The other 31 GMs are going to judge Cousins by how he plays, not by how our defense and special teams play.

We should just mark the Steelers and Panthers MNF games as losses off the bat.......we've won what, 2 home MNF games in the history of FedEx? :(

No way!!

These aren't your Cerrato Redskins.

These Redskins broke a lot of negative trends last season. They will continue to do so this season. :)

Week 1 against Steelers Monday night will basically be an away game...

If that game was later in the season, and the Redskins weren't doing well, then maybe.

However, for the first game of the season, I think the fans will represent just fine. :)

If that game was later in the season, and the Redskins weren't doing well, then maybe.

However, for the first game of the season, I think the fans will represent just fine. :)

We were 6-2 heading into the '08 game and the place was still overrun by Terrible Towels.

Our fanbase is just average.......be prepared for a repeat (although hopefully not on the scoreboard!).

Now ESPN is going to have their turn at the NFC East.

Like the NFL Network, the mail focus will probably be on Dallas and how awesome they are going to be this upcoming season. :rolleyes:

We were 6-2 heading into the '08 game and the place was still overrun by Terrible Towels.

Our fanbase is just average.......be prepared for a repeat (although hopefully not on the scoreboard!).

Yes, but it wasn't good 6-2.

I didn't feel the same confidence in that team that I do with this team.

It's only a few hours difference from playing a Sunday day game and Thursday game which teams do all the time

If we had a 1:00 game, the break between games would be 10% greater.

And we have to travel

That's not nothing...

You guys realize that every time you have a short week, you then get a long one right? Cardinals fans can complain right now that they will play us after we have a long rest before our game.

The schedule is fine. And the SOS always assumes all teams stay exactly the same from the previous year, which of course, never happens. For example, I think Carolina will take a big step back this year. Dallas will be better, etc.

And don't forget that we only play 7 road games this year.

I think everybody is playing Saturday though, because Sunday is Christmas Day.

Two games are Christmas Day (4:30 and 8:30) and 1 game the night after Christmas, but other than that, the rest of the NFL plays Christmas Eve day (happens any time that Christmas falls on a Sunday). Last time that happened was 2011. We lost to the Vikings 33-26 that day. Christmas Day had only one game that year. This year it has 2 games.

If that's the difference in the game, we don't deserve to win anyway

I don't get this. The difference between winning and losing in the NFL is so small. Everything matters.

The Cowboys will be home by dinner time on Sunday, able to get a full night of sleep/recovery. The Skins will get home around 2am. If the coaches give them the same amount of recovery time as the Cowboys are getting they will lose at least a half day of prep time. Throw in the travel day on Wednesday and you end up with basically a day and a half of practice/prep vs 3 days for the Cowboys.

I don't get this. The difference between winning and losing in the NFL is so small. Everything matters.

The Cowboys will be home by dinner time on Sunday, able to get a full night of sleep/recovery. The Skins will get home around 2am. If the coaches give them the same amount of recovery time as the Cowboys are getting they will lose at least a half day of prep time. Throw in the travel day on Wednesday and you end up with basically a day and a half of practice/prep vs 3 days for the Cowboys.

Remember this though, games can start getting flexed in and out starting in week 5. So any game times from week 5 on (other than Thursday night and Monday night games) could change. Not a strong possibility. Also, the redskins are an NFL team. They won't have any time to get mad about less prep time leading up to the thanksgiving game. They're professionals anyway, so they can handle it. After all, we are trying to defend the east. Nobody said it will be easy. But we will come out victorious in the end

And don't forget that we only play 7 road games this year.

Yep, I think the Redskins will have more fans there in London for the Bengals "home" game. :)

However, in a way, it is kinda just six road games this upcoming season.

One of our road games is against the Ravens, who are right up the street in Baltimore. Heck, the Redskins could take a bus to that game.

Might be a lot of Redskin fans there that day as well. :)

I actually love our schedule, without looking too in depth at our opponents and the journeys they go on before and after our matchups.  On the outside looking in, here's the good parts I see:

- I think we have about as balanced of a schedule in terms of stretches of tough vs. easy teams.  They alternate pretty fairly.

- we have decent visability this year against good teams so if we are as good as we think we are, then we could maybe change some perceptions with prime time victories and a consecutive playoff appearance.

- our opponents don't seem to have any byes or thursday games going into our games, other than - whaddya know? the giants week 17.  I hate john mara.  But, I think we had 5 last year, so I'll take it, such an underrated factor in cranking the difficulty beyond the lame "win %" stat.  

-  Although I would have preferred a different team ideally after the bye, the Vikings are probably the perfect team to have a bye for since while not an offensive juggernaut are a tough team on both sides of the ball and execution is probably what wins you that type of game.  The rest and extra time will probably help against a team that is certainly viable for the playoffs again given their team construction.

- As I guessed/hoped, the browns game came week 3/4 - I figured they would have it in that window because it's enough to build the story line of the current season, whether its "RG3 3-0 going into former team," or "Redskins looking to validate departure after 2-1 start," or "RG3 0-3 with his last gasp to prove his worth to former team" etc. etc. etc.  And the stakes will be high because it's early enough where no team is truly out of it yet, but could be the nail in the coffin game if either were to go to 0-4. 

I think this is set up to be an exciting season for us. 

Archived