Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Schedule Speculation, Rumors, and Predictions

kleese

Didn't we beat the Cowboys last time we played them on thanksgiving.

First time I believe.

Not because I'm afraid we would lose, but I'd rather relax and watch other teams.

the Eagles played in Dallas thanksgiving 2014.

You're right. I completely forgot about that. But I'd bet we've played them more on thanksgiving then the Eagles or Giants.

You're right. I completely forgot about that. But I'd bet we've played them more on thanksgiving then the Eagles or Giants.

Yep, there's just something interesting about a cowboys vs Indians game on thanksgiving I guess... I actually like seeing the skins on thanksgiving, but mostly cause the only time I witnessed it was in 2012 when we destroyed them, so it made thanksgiving even more enjoyable :) so if we were to play them on thanksgiving next year, I'd have no problem at all. Although I understand why people would want to relax watching other teams. Our team hasn't exactly given much hope or relaxation over the years :P

actually we lost to the packers.  

In 2012?  

"Prior to the 2012 election, the Redskins lost against the Carolina Panthers on November 4. The Redskins Rule predicted an outright loss for incumbent Barack Obama against challenger Mitt Romney, or that Obama would lose the popular vote and still win the Electoral College.[4] However, incumbent Barack Obama won the election with 332 electoral votes to Romney's 206,[5] held the advantage in the popular vote by more than 4.7 million votes, and the Redskins Rule did not hold in 2012."

Edit:  My bad you meant in 04?  Yeah they said that the rule "technically still stood" because of the popular vote vs. electoral vote

"In 2004 election, the Redskins lost their last home game before the presidential election, indicating that the incumbent should have lost. However, President George W. Bush (the incumbent) went on to defeat John Kerry. Steve Hirdt modified the rule, establishing Redskins Rule 2.0:[2]

When the popular vote winner does not win the election, the impact of the Redskins game on the subsequent presidential election gets flipped.

In the election in 2000, Al Gore won the popular vote while Bush won the electoral vote, and thereby the revised Redskins Rule was upheld for the 2004 election."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskins_Rule

I'm willing to bet we won't have a game the weekend before the election this season though. Seeing as how we play in London the weekend before the weekend before the election, I bet our bye week will be Sunday novrnber 6th

This is a fact, really. Every team that plays in London has a BYE the following week. Unless the NFL plans to alter this for some reason, I would 100% expect our BYE week to fall the week after the Bengals game.

Also keep in mind that the league is mindful of when/where you play BEFORE you go to London. We won't be playing on Monday Night that week prior and it would even be a little surprising if we played on SNF. I wouldn't expect us to play at Arizona that week either. My guess is that we play an east coast game at 1:00 the week before London.

With strong rumors that it's Redskins-Cowboys on Thanksgiving, also keep in mind that the league is likely to follow their latest trend of taking two Thanksgiving participants and having them play each other the following Thursday. This happened two years ago when the Cowboys and Bears both played on Turkey Day and then played each other the next Thursday Night. Last year as well with the Packers and Lions playing on the holiday and then each other the next Thursday. We could very well be looking at back to back Thursday games this year.

I wonder how many national TV games we get. I know we won a mediocre division but we'll likely still get at least one Sunday Night game. Wouldn't shock me if Cowboys-Redskins at FedEx was a Sunday Nighter. Since 2004 at least one of the Redskins-Cowboys games every year has been on primetime with the exception of 2007 and 2009.

Also with the first NFL Sunday falling on Sept 11, maybe we get Giants-Redskins again, this time at NY. That'd be a good bet for the FOX Sunday 4:30 game. How sweet would it be to finally get that Giant monkey off our back to open the season.

I wonder how many national TV games we get. I know we won a mediocre division but we'll likely still get at least one Sunday Night game. Wouldn't shock me if Cowboys-Redskins at FedEx was a Sunday Nighter. Since 2004 at least one of the Redskins-Cowboys games every year has been on primetime with the exception of 2007 and 2009.

Also with the first NFL Sunday falling on Sept 11, maybe we get Giants-Redskins again, this time at NY. That'd be a good bet for the FOX Sunday 4:30 game. How sweet would it be to finally get that Giant monkey off our back to open the season.

In 2009 we actually did have a prime time game against Dallas, at FedEx field. December 27th, lost 17-0. You're correct about 2007 though. First matchup against Dallas was a 1 pm game, and 2nd matchup was a 4:30 game.

As for getting the giant monkey off our back against the Giants to start the season, I agree to an extent. Would love to see us beat them for the 2nd straight time (would be the first time that's happened since 2011). However, we weren't bad against them last year. We split with them, but we beat them when it really mattered, the second matchup. But again, getting a second straight win against them would be nice

We won't be a "max" primetime team next year like Dallas, NE, Caolina, etc. but we will get our share. The league always leans NFCE on the primetime schedule and this year not only are we coming off a division title, but we are matched up with the North in each conference which means lots of big primetime draws like the Steelers and Packers-- and of course we also play the Cardinals and Panthers.

I'm thinking one SNF game minimum, and I'll predict two.

We won't be a "max" primetime team next year like Dallas, NE, Caolina, etc. but we will get our share. The league always leans NFCE on the primetime schedule and this year not only are we coming off a division title, but we are matched up with the North in each conference which means lots of big primetime draws like the Steelers and Packers-- and of course we also play the Cardinals and Panthers.

I'm thinking one SNF game minimum, and I'll predict two.

I could see a skins @ Ravens Thursday night game. Battle of the beltway, that's always a good one to watch

My only request is to open season with cupcake.

I would love to play Cle or Chi in week 1 at home. It'd be great to be a solid 6 point favorite and just win easy. Start season 1-0, no drama, franchise tag talk tempered and conventional wisdom being 'Skins just a 'good team'.

It seems like we be in 4 or 5 primetime games.  Depending on what you call "primetime".

Uk game vs Bengals

Thanksgiving @ Dallas (rumored)

MNF (probably against NFCE rival or Carolina/Pitt/Baltimore)

TNF (against NFCE rival)

Saturday Night Football @ home vs Eagles (if this is a tradition starting) or SNF??

I think one of the following games will be 4:25p.m.: @Arizono, vs Minny, vs Packers

My only request is to open season with cupcake.

I would love to play Cle or Chi in week 1 at home. It'd be great to be a solid 6 point favorite and just win easy. Start season 1-0, no drama, franchise tag talk tempered and conventional wisdom being 'Skins just a 'good team'.

But imagine if we opened the season in Arizona and won. The hype would go through the roof.

If we play on Thanksgiving that'll be our only Thursday game of the season.

That may or may not be true. There is no rule against having two Thursday games and the NFL is actually scheduling them on purpose. See my above comments about the teams that played on Thanksgiving the past two years also playing on Thursday the following week.

I just hope this team plays well next year.  In the past 2 decades every time we went 8-8, 9-7 or 10-6 we get featured on TV like an elite team the following season and then **** the bed in front of millions of viewers. Really hoping to see a different outcome this time.

I just hope this team plays well next year. In the past 2 decades every time we went 8-8, 9-7 or 10-6 we get featured on TV like an elite team the following season and then **** the bed in front of millions of viewers. Really hoping to see a different outcome this time.

This is so true..seems like Redskins play better when the games are a 1 pm Sunday start

Archived