Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins vs Buccaneers

JimmiJo

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 Redskins vs Buccaneers

10/25/15

CODE RED

Hello friends! JimmiJo here, joined by my long-time partner, Murf. Together we bring you the sights and sounds of today’s game between the Washington Redskins and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

It is difficult to overstate the importance of today’s game. Despite claims of improvement from the punditry, the Washington Redskins find themselves at 2-4 on the season; a record consistent with the poor starts we have seen the last few seasons.

But today they have a chance to get well. It is an opportunity that if missed, in a point in the season with tough games ahead; that can affect people’s future employment. People with the title of head coach.

No-one outside Redskins Park really know head coach Jay Gruden’s level of job security. But it was Gruden who told us last week how important today is. The Redskins have got to seize home field advantage against a bad team to keep their season alive, especially with a trip to New England on the horizon.

Tampa is a team Washington should beat. Must beat. But I don’t need to tell you how often they have had these types of games, only to fail ignominiously.

So what are the subplots today?

· Can the Redskins establish the run?

· Will Kirk Cousins rebound from a poor outing last week?

· Can the coaching staff come up with something resembling adjustments at halftime?

If the answer to any of the above is yes, they stand a chance to win.

Speak among yourselves…

ANNOUNCEMENT OF INACTIVES

LANDOVER, Md. – The Washington Redskins have announced the following inactives and lineup changes for today’s game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
o No. 10 QB Robert Griffin III
o No. 11 WR DeSean Jackson
o No. 23 CB DeAngelo Hall
o No. 25 RB Chris Thompson
o No. 29 CB Chris Culliver
o No. 73 DE Frank Kearse
o No. 78 C Kory Lichtensteiger

No. 14 Ryan Grant is expected to start in place of Jackson at wide receiver.
No. 26 Bashaud Breeland is expected to start in place of Hall at cornerback.
No. 41 Will Blackmon is expected to start in place of Culliver at cornerback.
No. 67 Josh LeRibeus is expected to start in place of Lichtensteiger at center.

The Buccaneers declared the following players as inactive:
o No. 4 QB Ryan Griffin
o No. 28 CB Tim Jennings
o No. 37 S Keith Tandy
o No. 77 DT Tony McDaniel
o No. 79 T Reid Fragel
o No. 87 TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins
o No. 89 WR Russell Shepard

No. 24 Mike Jenkins is expected to start in place of Jennings at cornerback.
No. 68 Joe Hawley is expected to start in place of No. 62 Evan Smith at center.
No. 88 Luke Stocker is expected to start in place of Sefarian-Jenkins at tight end.

On Saturday, the Buccaneers activated No. 97 DT Akeem Spence (6-1, 307) from the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform list and waived No. 60 OL Jeremiah Warren.

Half

So much for “code red.” Not must to say about the football. But there is a lot to take away from a coach expressing special urgency and the team responding like this.

I don’t care what excuse you want to use; injury, bad luck; this sort of response to that sort of expressed urgency means the team does not respond to the coach.

No matter how much they like him…

Photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/extremeskins/sets/72157660314899042

JimmiJo

I was able to get in the first question to head coach Jay Gruden post-game and I asked:

“What in the world did you say to the team at halftime?”

He proceeded to downplay anything he may have said, or any talk of code-red. But then I spoke to Trent Williams who confirmed Gruden was “livid” at the half, and showed it loudly.

The fact is this was as big a change from one half to the other as I have seen covering this team for the last 10 seasons. And to come-back from down 24 is the largest comeback in team history. But after being demolished 24-0 to get started, they slowly began to respond with an initial touchdown in the 2nd quarter.

Next, they stopped the Bucs at the start of the third-quarter and hung a touchdown on them. Then, following a well-timed and successful on-side kick, another.

All of the sudden we had a game.

Gruden and others described Bashaud Breeland’s run-down of Tampa’s Doug Martin as the play of the game. “If we go down 10 there, we don’t win this game,” said Gruden. Unfortunately, Breeland pulled a hamstring in the process.

Following this, Cousins and the offense mounted a beautiful 11-play 76-yard drive to win the game capped off with a Cousins to Jordan Reed touchdown play.

Game ball has got to go to Kirk Cousins. We rightfully condemned his play last week. This week all he did was go 33-of-40 for 317-yards, with three touchdowns and a rating of 124.7. He hit eight different receivers. He also added 15-yards rushing on three carries and a touchdown.

This performance is in context of having only 50-yards rushing out of the offense. And as we said, Kirk added a third of those so he really did this all on his own.

I hope you started him on fantasy this week (I know you did not).

The defense was disappointing early, but rebounded with some timely stops. That said, they allowed 190-yards rushing which is horrific. Only the 16-penalties committed by Tampa saved them.

But all credit to the Redskins. They showed a level of character I didn’t think they had.

We mentioned above how Gruden down-played the talk about his influence. But I tweeted at half when a coach speaks is such dire-terms and the team lays an egg, it means they are not responding to him.

Barring the comeback, I would have said it is time to start the coaching search. But then the second half happened. And the afore-mentioned comeback.

This game affirmed a few things; Gruden’s correct quarterback change, and his job security. Results matter.

As for the big picture, you want to see signs of improvement? Today was it in a big way. The Redskins of the past two seasons (or more) don’t come back today. I asked Dashon Goldson if maybe having veterans such as himself, Terrance Knighton and others help with leadership. He said he didn’t know what it was like before, but that this locker room has some leaders.

Washington goes into the bye at 3-4. They had to in order to have any chance of a season the rest of the way. With a road-game against the New England Patriots looming in two weeks, they could not go there at 2-5.

Kedric Golston told me they have to put their pants on one leg at a time. He also admitted they have been all-world for the past 15-years.

Well my friends. Breathe deep that smell of victory. This was a hell of a comeback and we all deserve to feel good for the next few days. Even better, I get a few weeks off to sit home and yell at the TV again.

I will see you next for New Orleans.

IF Skins beat bucs, Panthers beat Philly at home (very possible), Dallas beats NYG (less likely), all NFC East teams will have 3 wins.

Dallas would be leading at 3-3 with the other three teams at 3-4.

I'd have taken that scenario 10 times out of 10 before the season.

This is not the NFC East of the 80's for sure...

So why is that the Redskins aren't allowed to wear that throwback leathery looking helmet ??

The Packers wore throwbacks last week and had a throwback helmet on. 

Yeh...I really like that helmet. It's one of the best looking throwback helmets in the NFL. But I'm not sure why we have not included it with the uniform today. :(

Weird to have a "must win" game this early in this season during what most of us recognize as a rebuilding year, but the way the momentum is going on the season it certainly feels like one of those statement games. Feels like this team is at the edge of a cliff and they need to decide whether they'll jump. Because a pathetic loss to a rookie QB at this point in the season, going into the bye, would be ugly.

See, I'm thinking Alf gets one last chance to prove himself the starter going into the bye. I started him on Fantasy. 25 touches today.

You know how far back you'd have to go to find a game where Morris got 25 touches? Between that and Jones being healthy AND the 3rd down back, I think you're setting yourself up for some serious disappointment in fantasy.

IF Skins beat bucs, Panthers beat Philly at home (very possible), Dallas beats NYG (less likely), all NFC East teams will have 3 wins.

Dallas would be leading at 3-3 with the other three teams at 3-4.

I'd have taken that scenario 10 times out of 10 before the season.

This is not the NFC East of the 80's for sure...

Yeah if that happens, the division is definitely there for anyone to win. Dallas plays the Seahawks next week and could lose that game. Giants play the saints next weekend. We could stil be in the race for the division by week 9...

Archived