Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins vs Buccaneers

JimmiJo

It was in the 2nd quarter or the 3rd quarter and we were going towards the tunnel. I know exactly which one you were talking about.

That's his interception area... about 20 yards into the seam to his left. He throws a lot of picks there. If a WR makes a play for Cousins he normally settles down and all of them made sure Cousins was squared away yesterday.

That was a great catch by Crowder, almost looked like his knee was going to suffer an injury from it.

The first year they did it (I think it was 2010 or 2011 --- maybe 2012 because DeAngelo Williams was like "Homecoming? Homecoming?..." but Darnarian McCants was there. Darnarian McCants.... this mother ****er :lol:

He was big and tall, like Mix big and tall... HOF'r in my book.

So , big egg layed in first half. Team comes back and plays well enough to pull out a squeaker from a sub-average team at home. Why can't this team play a full game well? If the first half is kept close, we probably have a convincing win finally. Don't get me wrong I was over joyed with the win,and we finally got the rookie QB loss curse of our back(for now anyway), but after the bye I certainly hope most of the troops are back on the field. Because we may have just played our last truly winnable game for the next 4 or 5 and will need everyone playing lights out to take a few of these. Play half a game against any of these next opponents and we're toast. Not trying to be negative, but I'm not super impressed yet either.

The real test is ahead......

I'm so done with this team, they have managed to ruin my love of football. Sundays are nothing like they used to be. I don't look forward to watching their piss poor performance week in and week out. It doesn't matter who the coach is, who the QB is, who the players are, this team always finds a way to suck. UGH!

whoops ... you gotta be feeling better right?? 

A shout out to Breeland... whose late tackle to prevent a late TD may have saved Cousins Gruden and others, their job. And us fans, our sanity, if only for 2 weeks. Tore up his hamstring, to make your life better ;)

When he gives up a big play, he is always literally inches away from making the play. The guys on offense get paid too, but he is forcing perfect throws and tough catches to beat him.

I think he may be our MVP thus far this year.

Upon further reflection, some thoughts on yesterday's game:

- I really, really, really hope that this game instills more confidence in Cousins for the coaching staff.  I want them to come out and call a more aggressive game.  I know everybody and their mother want to run the ball.  And have a "tough" identity.  I get it.  It's the GMSM way.  But it's time to face facts, we're not a good running team right now.  We have not shown the ability to be a "run first" team.  On something like 90% of our first down runs, we gain less than 2 yards.  You can't be "run first" with that average.

So open it up.  Kirk has proven (at least in my eyes) that he's capable of handling more than 25 passes a game.  Plan to be balanced, not "run first."  That doesn't mean flinging it around 50 times a game.  But 35-40 is ok.  Especially if 60% of those passes are within 7 yards of the LOS.  

This was a great game for Kirk.  I hope that Gruden learns to trust him, and opens up the offense. 

The other problem with being so conservative is that the inevitable mistakes hurt more.  Let's say you throw it more, and Cousins makes a few bad throws, and there are a few more INTs.  If you're being more aggressive, it's kindof the cost of doing business.  They are overcome-able. Try to win by 20, not by 2.  

- Jordan Reed is absolutely critical to this offense.  When he's on the field, defenses have to pay special attention to him.  

The Redskins have exactly 2 players like that: Reed and DJax.  The argument about who's more important or a better play-maker is stupid.  You're paying both. There's no reason to pick between them. If they could ever get on the field at the same time, that would really put defenses in a pickle.  Because the presence of one naturally helps the other.  And both together help running game and other receivers.  

- GMSM gets a gold star for flipping kickers. 

- Breeland is a beast, and I hope his hammy isn't so bad that he's out for extended periods of time.

- Jones needs to start at RB.  (This was painful to type.)

- The run defense is pitiful, and I wouldn't be shocked if they gave up 200 yards on the ground to the Pats.  Because you're not going to stack the box to stop the run and make Brady beat you.  Because he will.

They need more players here.  I personally like Potroast in the middle,and he's gobbling up blocks there.  But the DEs and outside contain is bad and undisciplined.  I'm not sure there is a fix to this without changing personnel.  If this is an Achilles heal, it's a bad one.  

- Injuries.  Eegads.  But hopefully they can get some guys back for the Pats.

- 2015 draft class is distinguishing itself pretty well right now.  Preston Smith is probably going to see an increased role, even if Kerrigan doesn't miss a lot of time.  If GMSM can do that a few more times, then we're going to be cooking with gas.

Overall, I think the team has the talent to compete, but needs infusion of talent across the board on defense. The secondary would look better if 3/4 weren't injured, for sure.  But the LBs need some work, and DL is still a concern.  

I'm interested to see what happens with the OL.  I think 3 of the 5 spots are locked down, baring injury: Williams, Scherff, Moses.  Kory is a little under-sized, and the LG spot is not being played well, though Long is doing well in pass-protecting, as far as I can see. He's got a golden opportunity to improve every week and take that job over, and justify his draft status. But he's got to do it.  There are guys on the team that can compete, but I wonder if GMSM is going to want to add some more talent there...

He was big and tall, like Mix big and tall... HOF'r in my book.

I remember him as making some pretty impressive catches... but he couldn't make a catch without doing the whole Riverdance Christmas Program.  Always got flagged for stupidity.

I'm geniunely glad that we are keeping tabs on our alumni as an organization though.  I think it's important and I think it shows the current players that you are going to be squared away by the team/fans.

The whole Bucs are horrible thing is getting old. They were a stop away from .500 football with a rookie qb. They have huge talented receivers and 2 solid rbs. Their defense is peppered with high end talent. They are not the best coached team in football and they have a ways to go (as do our redskins). But I think some are selling our team short on what happened yesterday. Huge win, being down 24-0 and winning only happens every 83 years let's enjoy this one!

I love the play call on the final TD to Reed. 5 wide, Jordan isolated on one side. 

That right there, is how OCs can call low risk plays for their QBs.  That was very much a simple call to our biggest / best target, but one that we rarely have ever seen in the modern pass happy era. Bellichek does stuff like that every week.

I don't know why spread seems to be frowned upon by so many NFL OCs. I know I know, we need to run the ball.

But teams need to pass, too.  The rule changes aiding the passing game, should be all the more reason to go a bit more pass happy.

I hope that play call is a sign of things to come. Being simple, while more innovative and less predictable on offense, working on specific matchups that make the QBs job a lot easier (less read more Reed), and put our best players into the best position to succeed.

I love the play call on the final TD to Reed. 5 wide, Jordan isolated on one side. 

That right there, is how OCs can call low risk plays for their QBs.  That was very much a simple call to our biggest / best target, but one that we rarely have ever seen in the modern pass happy era. Bellichek does stuff like that every week.

I don't know why spread seems to be frowned upon by so many NFL OCs. I know I know, we need to run the ball.

But teams need to pass, too.  The rule changes aiding the passing game, should be all the more reason to go a bit more pass happy.

I hope that play call is a sign of things to come. Being simple, while more innovative and less predictable on offense, working on specific matchups that make the QBs job a lot easier (less read more Reed), and put our best players into the best position to succeed.

The thing that I liked about it is that it went against type.

I've seen them call that formation before, actually I think that Jay might have stolen it from something the Broncos have been doing.  The Broncos run that formation pretty regularly, and a lot of the time, it's set up as a "screen" the the receiver farthest in the back.

This time, they essentially used it as a decoy, pulled the entire defense to the side with the 4 receivers, left Reed 1-1, and threw the slant there.   

I was really concerned that they were going to throw the screen, and expect the front three guys to pick up blocks.

Now, I would LOVE to see this same formation when DJax gets back.  Put DJax as the guy in the back, Garcon, Roberts and Reed in front of him, and then Crowder in the spot that Reed was in.  Now if you're a defense, you have to really respect the 4 receiver stack because of the presence of both Reed and DJax (Thurder and lightening, if you will), and you've probably got a 1-1 with Crowder, who's very quick, and can get deep on you fast.  You can do 1000 things from that position, not the least of which being throw the damn screen to DJax and see if you can slip one.  

As for running the ball, I am switching my opinion.  I want us to become balanced, and not a run-first team. See if we can get some plays to stretch the defense, and then run when they're expecting pass.  Stay balanced.

Even more of a shocker.  The win put the Skins at 8th place in the NFC.

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture?campaign=fb-nf-sf14533125-sf14533125

Eegads the NFC is awful.  Only 6 teams with winning records, the Rams are the only team even (3-3).  Though, if the Rams and 'Skins finished with the same record, tie-break goes to the 'Skins.  (Not that it matters.  NFC East winner will probably have the worst record of any team in the NFC playoffs.  Wild Card teams will have better records.

I want to see more shotgun spread 4-5 wide. Cousins can sling it nicely in those situations. We've seen it all year.

Totally agree.

And I wouldn't mind seeing them run a draw or two from that set as well, especially on 2nd and 5 or something like that.

In order to get this running game going, you're going to have to pass teams out of playing 8 guys within 5 yards of the LOS. 

Now, I would LOVE to see this same formation when DJax gets back. Put DJax as the guy in the back, Garcon, Roberts and Reed in front of him, and then Crowder in the spot that Reed was in. Now if you're a defense, you have to really respect the 4 receiver stack because of the presence of both Reed and DJax (Thurder and lightening, if you will), and you've probably got a 1-1 with Crowder, who's very quick, and can get deep on you fast. You can do 1000 things from that position, not the least of which being throw the damn screen to DJax and see if you can slip one.

Switch crowder and DJax and i would agree.

You could go either way. I think of you put DJax on the flip side, he'd draw double coverage, which would probably mean your primary read is crowder on the screen. (With my 2 options).

Clearly you can do 1000 things from every formation.

Yeah. Either or. I was just thinking that with DJax 1 on 1, the safety is going to be in no mans land and very likely to make a miatake if a good QB can look him off. But both ways would likely work the same. The way Crowder is playing, he may soon require the same sort of respect.

... and expect the front three guys to pick up blocks.

Now, I would LOVE to see this same formation when DJax gets back.  Put DJax as the guy in the back, Garcon, Roberts and Reed in front of him, and then Crowder in the spot that Reed was in...

I love the formation, and we do need to keep Ds honest and throw it to both sides.

Nitpicking a little bit here, but with our largely smurf core at WR, I think the 3 in front may be hard pressed to make their 3 blocks. You did good and picked out the big boys, but Garcon and Roberts aren't even 6' IIRC.  Reed... is a hands guy. 

I would like to see the 3 TEs out there and DJax. Put Compton out there. Do what Belly would do. I have seen him bunch his TEs wide.

I more want guys on an island, one on one, to see if a mismatch presents itself...

I remember a NE game in week 1, the D didn't even cover Gronk out wide. You need to give a D chances to screw up and blow the coverage by throwing at them "complex" formations. Even if its the simplest of plays.

Archived