Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

Man, I take my dog to the beach for an hour and I come back to this **** show.

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

This post makes you sound like a gun owner AND a dick. I know you're better than that.

I wasn't mocking the term. I quoted it to point out the mindset that a gun owner can feel he needs 5 different firearms for "different purposes." 

I'd like to hear five different purposes that would necessitate owning five guns.  I listed five earlier and - yes - those were mocking, But list five, and include AR-15s or equivalent in the list. Educate me.

Is this an actual legit question because you have no idea or what?

Edited by The Almighty Buzz
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

55 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I don’t give a chicken fried **** about learning more about guns.  It’s not a prerequisite for regular people who are tired of mass shootings to weigh in on the subject.

It is definitely fine to be ignorant. 

there’s subjects I’m ignorant on too. Plenty of them. 

but if I cared about something to the point of discussing it with others as a grave issue and ranting and such on, I’d be embarrassed if I chose to be ignorant about it. 

generally I try to not talk about things I’m ignorant on, as much as possible. It’s not really a good look. 🤷‍♂️ 

Just now, The Almighty Buzz said:

Is this an actual legit question because you have no idea or what?

I thought he was just being a jerk about it too. 

but it seems he didn’t really know. 

which is fine. 

althoigh I’m still legit confused about the expiration stuff 😂 

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Guns as tools is an interesting concept.  Tools are necessary.

Properly brought up people with proper training understand guns are tools. 

Nothing more. 

Different guns serve different purposes the same way different tools in your tool chest serve different purposes. And yes, sometimes you can get by using the wrong tool cause you don’t have the right tool; but generally speaking it’s a bad idea for multiple reasons. 

I’m not trying to defend the gun crowd. Just explain this specific portion of it. That’s why owning 5 guns is, in and of itself, not anything special. Just like I golf, and I own a **** ton of golf clubs, more than I can use in any one round. 

anyways. The point was not to declare every single idea or criticism of yours wrong and bad. 

i mean most people who live out by me probably have at least 5 guns. Most I know own 10+. And I think the last election surveyed people on gun ownership and 60% said they have at least one in the house. I live in an pretty big gun culture area. Not as big as others, I imagine as you get more and more into farmland you get closer to everyone carrying a gun in their truck with them everywhere. 

Ps - I wasn’t trying to be a dick to you. I was definitely trying to be a dick to Larry. I’m always trying to be a dick yo Larry (kidding Larry ❤️ you but you piss me off sometimes)

Edited by tshile

20 minutes ago, tshile said:

It is definitely fine to be ignorant. 

there’s subjects I’m ignorant on too. Plenty of them. 

but if I cared about something to the point of discussing it with others as a grave issue and ranting and such on, I’d be embarrassed if I chose to be ignorant about it. 

generally I try to not talk about things I’m ignorant on, as much as possible. It’s not really a good look. 🤷‍♂️ 

I thought he was just being a jerk about it too. 

but it seems he didn’t really know. 

which is fine. 

althoigh I’m still legit confused about the expiration stuff 😂 

No one in America is ignorant on gun violence.  If you have a pulse then you see and hear about it daily.  We don’t need to become experts to put 2 and 2 together and demand action be taken.  And I couldn’t give less of a **** if you think it’s a good look or not.

You know what’s really a bad look?  Doing absolutely nothing when 19 more kids died.

Edited by 86 Snyder

11 minutes ago, Bloodytusk said:

I've been following this thread for a bit and I missed when someone other than you brought that up who was it?

What am I, your librarian?

J/K - Tshile raised it a while back. 
~~~

Everybody sing along!:

“Old MacDonald had a Farm, E-I-E-I-Yippee-Ki-Yay, Mother****er.” 

Edited by Dan T.

Just now, Bloodytusk said:

Edited my post sorry your right and my guess is 3%.

Nah I edited my post because I’m laying on the snark too much. Which is  a reaction to the frustration this all brings about. 

As to "the reason for an AR-15"?

Just pointing out. The owner is under no obligation to give you a reason, that you approve of, to own it.

I own an F-150. I am not obligated to give you a reason why.

14 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Anyone want to venture a guess as to what percentage of AR-15 owners are actually farmers who shoot bobcats and coyotes?

Probably miniscule. I think a .223 or 5.56 has a really small window for shooting varmints. But even with that small window for things like coyotes IMO there really isn't much need for a semi-auto rifle with a 30 round magazine. Do you really need to pump 30 rounds into a coyote within 15 seconds?

I've never been a hunter; it's really not my thing. But I've known several and I don't remember any of them saying they hunted with an AR. It's too small for most game anyway. Even a smaller deer is probably going to be at least a .243 Winchester. A .223 is too light and not fast enough so unless it's an absolutely perfect shot from a pretty short range, you'd be much more likely to just hurt the deer and cause it to suffer.

AR-15s are fun to shoot and they're relatively cheap with relatively cheap ammo. But any argument for them that centers around hunting is nonsensical. 

41 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Anyone want to venture a guess as to what percentage of AR-15 owners are actually farmers who shoot bobcats and coyotes?

You’re taking my comments and spinning them into something they’re not. 

you asked for reasons. I gave them. 

im not talking about or justifying or even commenting on whether certain people should or shouldn’t own certain guns, or what policy changes we should make. 

The point about bobcats and coyotes was more about the type of use as opposed to those specific criters. And goes along with the other discussion about how an ar15 isn’t exactly a great weapon for what it’s being used for in these things (which is just my opinion but really doesn’t mean anything)

Hitting something 100 yards away across a field is something an ar15 does very well at. Especially something they moves fast and might take a few shots in a short period of time to hit before it dips out. 

The fact that it’s incredibly cheap, modular to the point of ranging several calibers and several purposes (close quarter all the way to soldi sniper rifle) makes it appealing for that type of use. 

But that doesn’t mean the bulk of ar-15 owners are shooting bobcats and coyotes with them. 

10 minutes ago, tshile said:

The fact this probably isn’t true aside, your comment, and my response, was about guns. 

My comment was about mass shootings.  See, that’s what I care about.  Eliminating mass shootings and stopping kids from getting slaughtered in schools.  Guns are just the thing that has to be more regulated to make it happen.  

If people were going into schools and killing dozens of kids with bananas, I’d want bananas to be more difficult to obtain.  And I wouldn’t need to go to Banana University and get a masters degree in banana culture to say “hey, I think we have a ****ing banana problem over here”.

Insisting that people become experts on gun manufacturing, ammunition, etc to be fit to discuss the problem of mass shootings is just more distraction that is ripped straight out of the Republican playbook.  It’s stalling.  It’s just running out the clock.  

I am completely dispassionate about guns themselves.  IDGAF about guns.  I care about what people are doing with them.  If there were no shootings, I’d never think about guns.

And that’s really the crux of the matter at hand.  One side prioritizes the gun.  One side worships and fetishizes the gun.  One side is completely obsessed with guns and wouldn’t pass a single law to help control them even if we had a Uvalde incident every single damn day of the year, because the gun is the most important thing to them.  

The other side prioritizes eliminating mass shootings.  

4 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

My comment was about mass shootings

Actually the one I quoted was about guns, which you made as a comment about the conversation about guns

I don’t give a chicken fried **** about learning more about guns. 

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

Actually the one I quoted was about guns, which you made as a comment about the conversation about guns

I don’t give a chicken fried **** about learning more about guns. 

Yeah…what’s the next sentence say?

Ill save you the time.

I don’t give a chicken fried **** about learning more about guns.  It’s not a prerequisite for regular people who are tired of MASS SHOOTINGS to weigh in on the subject.

I guess no other countries in the world can handle farming since they don't have ar15's to keep their farms in check like we do in the USA.   

They wouldn't be able to maintain their farms since the wild animals will overrun them and they don't have military weapons to keep them away.

• Haha 2

I have a Titan .25.  It hasn't come out of the box with the "evidence" tape on it since I got it back from the police.  If I hadn't owned it at all, my husband (in a fit of paranoid schizophrenia) wouldn't have killed himself in that manner.  The guilt I've felt for more than 2 years is overwhelming. 

Just sayin'. 

Edited by skinsmarydu
  • Sad 5

That we know of, handguns are the most common weapon used to kill people in the US.  The most common reason people are killed by firearms in this country is suicide.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/02/03/what-the-data-says-about-gun-deaths-in-the-u-s/

Gun violence isn't anymore of a straight forward issue then gun control, as the logical conclusion is not and cannot be banning handguns to lower or eliminate suicides by them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

That we know of, handguns are the most common weapon used to kill people in the US.  The most common reason people are killed by firearms in this country is suicide.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/02/03/what-the-data-says-about-gun-deaths-in-the-u-s/

Gun violence isn't anymore of a straight forward issue then gun control, as the logical conclusion is not and cannot be banning handguns to lower or eliminate suicides by them.

Agreed.  And up until the last few weeks, I had never thought of myself as a 'victim of gun violence', but then I came to that realization.   

(I'm okay, just thought I'd throw what I think is a somewhat reasonable feeling out there.)  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Despite what some say, it’s a very complicated issue. 

and my suggestion is to separate mass shootings from general gun violence. They’re two different issues. 

but also that means realizing these counts of mass shootings are bunk. They’re simply looking at # of people. There’s a difference between indiscriminate killing and there being a shooting that involves more than 2 people. 

it actually really irritates me the news did that. 

it just screams pushing and agenda. Even if that’s not why they’re doing it. 

• Like 1