Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley on the radio is impressive

bonesbr549

I've started listening more to 980 and Chris Cooley, and have to admit I've been really impressed with his strait talk, and he knows the game.   I've often wondered who will the baton be passed to from the old guard i.e. Sonny/Sam.  Always was a fan of his football play, but as an analyst, he's really good.  I think he will be around for a long time.   

is there an app or live stream available for 980?  only DC sports radio I can find is 106.7 on the Radio.com app

you can get them on tunein radio app which is where I mostly listen.  But today I downloaded the espn980 app so will go directly to them that way.   

Cool to have unliimited data :)

His breakdowns are the best football radio on the air.

~Bang

That they are.

You know what is also pretty goodf rom Cooley?

When he drifts into standard "Guy Talk". If you were a fan of WJFK when it had an entire lineup of Guy Talk you'll enjoy those segments/moments.

There's not enough of them... I know 980 has a sports branding but they'd increase their audience immediately if they found a good mix of guy talk/sports.

is there an app or live stream available for 980?  only DC sports radio I can find is 106.7 on the Radio.com app

You can go to espn980.com

ESPN 980 also has an Android and Itunes app. You can listen live (including the radio call for the redskins), and it has on demand. In the past they had an 'Audio Vault' on their site and it took 24-48 hours for things to get posted. But I've been cleaning bottles at 7pm listening to the thigns I missed that day, so they're on top of it right now.

The On Demand includes Tony Kornheser, if you're interested in listening to an Old White Dude **** Old White Dude style. If you're in/from the DMV area you'll enjoy his tirades about traffic, bridges, etc.

If you're a fan of the team and you actually enjoy the dorky side of football you're doing yourself a disservice by not listening to him do his film break downs.

He's a homer and who know show long this will last (i imagine it depends on his ability to talk to coaches and plays... and sometimes he says things he probably shouldn't, that clearly appear to be insider info) but while it's here it's good. Just don't take anything he says long term about any player too seriously.

His film breakdowns are fantastic. He is also very good on the radio play by play. Sonny has really slowed down and seems to be having a smaller role. Cooley is practically the main color guy. He drops nuggets about the coverage and such much like his film breakdowns. I've gone back to listening to the radio and turning down the TV like the good old days of Sonny, Sam, and Frank. The play by play is FAR better now than it was in the last few years of Sonny, Sam and Larry.

I wasn't a big fan of him using his show as a platform for his attempted comeback. 

With that said, I think he does a great job breaking down film and helping the common man understand football.  So good in fact that I can totally see him getting a more visible, higher paying gig in the near future.

I agree with this. I will be shocked if he doesnt end up as a network analyst in the next couple of years. He is very good.

Off topic, but somewhat related, what do y'all think of Trevor Matich?  I like him, Chick and BMitch.

Obviously this is a joke, but Matich is the worst.  Called the skins a disheveled mess before the Dolphins game and then lauded a turn around after Rams.  

Another topic......Mathew Berry's new love hate refers to the Washington team as the "Redskins" again.  I thought it was weird....

I really enjoy listening to Cooley break down the game. He's obviously well acquainted with the current level of play in the NFL -- and it shows. He's got a good touch on how far to dive into the details... usually to make a point on the overall performance by a player or coach. Very understandable (well most of the times) and entertaining too.

Can't help but wonder how well he'd do on TV with a 'tele-strator" visually making his point. ...But, for TV audiences, he'd have to talk a bit more slowly.

Thought he was on the sidelines?  I'm asking because I don't know anymore.

Cooley is in the booth, Doc is on the sideline.

I agree with this. I will be shocked if he doesnt end up as a network analyst in the next couple of years. He is very good.

He talked about that on the show the other day. He said he had offers. He has no plans to chase TV, he likes what he is doing now.

Listening to Cooley on the radio makes you wonder how anybody who hasn't been in the league for the past 20 years is allowed to be a professional commentator. The game is so complex nowadays compared to the late 80s, with all the option routes and different minutiae that every player on the field needs to read. Cooley is among the best in the broadcasting game, imo, and you can tell that he really takes his job seriously (at least when it comes to objective critiques based on film).

Archived