Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Twitter release. # redskins. Junior gallete sustained season ending Achilles tear feared

Dallascrushers

I'm pretty sure he was already here on vet minimum. Can't get any more minimum.

There is a good chance he will be back on another vet minimum deal next year.

Smith and Murphy get to show what they're made of.

Yeah that's what I meant. We essentially just pushed the Gallette experiment out a year and added a serious injury recovery to it.

So it will probably end up never panning out. Hope Murphy and Smith come along this season

So frustrating. I just don't even know.

Silver lining, maybe this will allow us to sign him cheap again next offseason and he will come back strong

Man...I hope so because he's so young. But an Achilles injury for a guy who relies on quickness around the edge, that's not inspiring. Depends on if its a full tear or a partial tear I guess. A recent example of a young quick-twitch player regaining his full athleticism would be Demaryius Thomas, although he was even younger and had even more athleticism to spare in the first place when the injury happened. And he only had a partial tear.

Hall seems to be fully back from his or close to it, but it will be impossible to tell the difference between normal aging and the Achilles after-effects this year when he inevitably slows down.

This was in practice and non contact. I'd agree that 4 preseason games is too much (but it's not changing) but they all need practice and I'd argue more and with more contact sessions than the current CBA allows.

Sorry, disagree, these are professional athletes, they don't need one on ones and constant grinding. (Not Vets). DJax has it right, fake a shoulder injury and be ready for week one.

Well at least we can keep him around the locker room for his upstanding character and leadership.

I'm sure you were trying to be funny, but he seemed to be fitting in extremely well here. Similar situation to the DJax signing where he was embraced in the locker room and was turning it around. According to all reports.

Sorry, disagree, these are professional athletes, they don't need one on ones and constant grinding. (Not Vets). DJax has it right, fake a shoulder injury and be ready for week one.

So you don't think professional athletes need to practice?

I think the NFL product on the field is suffering from lack of said practice. For example the standard of tackling and blocking is declining from restrictions on contact in practice in my opinion.

Trust me, if this were true, the decision makers in this billion dollar industry would have figured it out and implemented less strenuous training camps, etc. Football has a lot of stuck-in-their-ways old fogies, but those are usually coaches and not the decision makers that sit down with the NFLPA (who would love less practice). The owners are all about making money--if less practice meant less injuries and equivalent play on the field, they'd do it. 

The reality is that some few vets can play at a high level without practicing. Most can't, and of course no young players really can. Plus, there is so much turnover in the NFL from year to year that everyone is always learning new systems. On established teams with established systems and tenured vets, "veteran days off" are given to reduce the wear and tear on the old guys.

I mean, you're talking about a few weeks of practice, in total. For most, that's nothing, and its necessary to get in game shape and get timing down, etc. The injuries are just freak occurrences more related to the increasing size/speed/weight of these guys than how much they practice.

Archived