Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to host former Saints outside linebacker Junior Galette for visit

FrFan

Or maybe he is in a better position to make a more informed, educated decision than the rest of us.

or he realizes it's a football team that has a goal of winning games, and whether or not a guy is nice or not is a secondary concern.

Smart deal by a smart guy.

~Bang

The vet minimum is only about $1M - in any case, since there were six team allegedly pursuing JG, they must have known that they would need to pay at least the minimum, right?

At least the minimum? As opposed to less than the minimum, which would defeat the purpose of calling it a minimum. Lol

At least the minimum? As opposed to less than the minimum, which would defeat the purpose of calling it a minimum. Lol

Yes, that was my point.  Why does someone sign the first offer he gets for the minimum with other teams showing interest?  It's not like the other interested teams can offer less.  It's one thing to take an offer that isn't the highest dollar offer; it's something else to not even listen to the other offers.

Yes, that was my point. Why does someone sign the first offer he gets for the minimum with other teams showing interest? It's not like the other interested teams can offer less. It's one thing to take an offer that isn't the highest dollar offer; it's something else to not even listen to the other offers.

I'm just speculating, but maybe he had other teams interested but they changed their minds after the twitter rant (it was pretty brutal, but also may have been his girlfriend ranting)...and Scot M and the Redskins were the only ones to not be scared off?

If so, it made Scot's job much easier: "listen, you're not going to get any other offers after that Twitter rant. We both know it. Between that and the video, you're toxic in the eyes of GMs around the league. So, if you're truly serious about rebounding from all this and rebuilding you reputation and your career, we're still here."

Yes, that was my point.  Why does someone sign the first offer he gets for the minimum with other teams showing interest?  It's not like the other interested teams can offer less.  It's one thing to take an offer that isn't the highest dollar offer; it's something else to not even listen to the other offers.

"he said his focus is excelling on and off the field, and not in his wallet."

“It’s not about the money right now, it’s about the relationship I can have with the teammates,” he said. “A lot of guys I know on this team from the past and shared some good relationships with a lot of the players on here. So it’s about that, the relationships and what you can bring to the team. Yeah, I could have waited a little longer, but I love football and I don’t want to be sitting around at home unemployed five or six days was a little uncomfortable.”

I'm just speculating, but maybe he had other teams interested but they changed their minds after the twitter rant (it was pretty brutal, but also may have been his girlfriend ranting)...and Scot M and the Redskins were the only ones to not be scared off?

If so, it made Scot's job much easier: "listen, you're not going to get any other offers after that Twitter rant. We both know it. Between that and the video, you're toxic in the eyes of GMs around the league. So, if you're truly serious about rebounding from all this and rebuilding you reputation and your career, we're still here."

I'm thinking more along the lines of as-of-yet undisclosed incentives. $750k is what a decent OLB/DE makes per game.  Surely his agent knows he could just sit back, wait for an injury, and get a nice deal from a desperate team - even if it comes in week 10, he'd be doing better that $750K for the season.  Fourteen teams have at least $10M in cap space right now,  Cincinnati has $17M cap space, legit playoff hopes, and no sacks coming from the right side.  I just don't see why an agent could be so easily convinced that no better offers would be coming.  

When things don't make any sense, its usually because all the facts aren't out.

"he said his focus is excelling on and off the field, and not in his wallet."

“It’s not about the money right now, it’s about the relationship I can have with the teammates,” he said. “A lot of guys I know on this team from the past and shared some good relationships with a lot of the players on here. So it’s about that, the relationships and what you can bring to the team. Yeah, I could have waited a little longer, but I love football and I don’t want to be sitting around at home unemployed five or six days was a little uncomfortable.”

Oh come on!

That is a question I have.  We have signed Knighton and now Galette to one year deals.  If we lose them to free agency, do we get any compensatory picks?  I get so confused with how all that works.  I know there is top secret lab in Area 51 where a few guys determine who  gets what, but it never makes sense to me.

Short answer is probably. Every player whose contract expires and becomes a free agent is factored. Any player who is cut is not counted. As an example, the Redskins signed a few free agents this offseason that would count, like Knighton, Paea, and Culliver. They also lost a few players who will count like Orakpo and Helu.  They signed at least one player who does not count, Ricky Jean Francois (since he was cut). Anyone the Redskins cut and later signed wouldn't count either (can't think of any right now). You then compare your signings to what you lost. Everyone is measured by the contract they sign.

If guys like Knighton and Galette walk after the year and both sign big money deals, then unless the Redskins go out and sign a few big money free agents as well, the team will get some compensatory picks.

He had as many as 6 teams reportedly showing interest, but he told people that he was already pretty high on Washington & really just needed to see how the process went.

I'm thinking his friends, & possibly the Haitian connection had a lot to do with it. I'm also thinking that SM was able to get in his ear right away & sell our direction, & thoughts on how we wanted to use him.

Also...iirc, word got out about a visit with us pretty much the minute (or so it seemed) his release was made official. Don't go telling John Mara or anything, but it sure seems like there was some communication prior to his release.

Oh, & btw...

Obligatory, **** YOU MARA!

I'm thinking more along the lines of as-of-yet undisclosed incentives. $750k is what a decent OLB/DE makes per game.  Surely his agent knows he could just sit back, wait for an injury, and get a nice deal from a desperate team - even if it comes in week 10, he'd be doing better that $750K for the season.  Fourteen teams have at least $10M in cap space right now,  Cincinnati has $17M cap space, legit playoff hopes, and no sacks coming from the right side.  I just don't see why an agent could be so easily convinced that no better offers would be coming.  

Oh come on!

You need to watch his entire interview. He said he has friends on the team, guys he already knows and gets along with. That's more likely why he signed here without talking to the other teams. 

In the end, does it really matter? Let's say he and his agent are total liars and no one at was interested (I find that very hard to believe. Talent draws attention, always.) It's still a great deal for us. He has almost no CAP hit and we have right of first refusal next year! If plays well we get a really good player for almost free this year and if he is a jackass, we boot him with virtually no repercussions. Not sure I see the down side. And I certainly don't really care if he had 6 teams or no teams after him. We got him on a very team friendly contract. 

You need to watch his entire interview. He said he has friends on the team, guys he already knows and gets along with. That's more likely why he signed here without talking to the other teams. 

In the end, does it really matter? Let's say he and his agent are total liars and no one at was interested (I find that very hard to believe. Talent draws attention, always.) It's still a great deal for us. He has almost no CAP hit and we have right of first refusal next year! If plays well we get a really good player for almost free this year and if he is a jackass, we boot him with virtually no repercussions. Not sure I see the down side. And I certainly don't really care if he had 6 teams or no teams after him. We got him on a very team friendly contract. 

I didn't say (1) that there wasn't any other interest, (2) that it wasn't a good deal, or (3) that there was a down side.  In fact, I've said just the opposite all along.

But he certainly could have gotten more money, a LOT more money, simply by waiting.  At a minimum, by visiting the other teams.  A lowball salary for him on a one year deal would have been around $3M higher.  And for sure, he wouldn't have gotten stuck with the right of first refusal.  Please don't tell me he let $3M go because he had some buddies here or because he just couldn't wait to start playing football again.  Even if he honestly felt that way, his agent would have doped him up and kidnapped him before he could take the minimum.  That just cost his agent $90K.

Pot Roast could have signed elsewhere for more money, probably DJax too.

I see what you mean, It's called voodoo magic ! :)

Pot Roast had one team that was somewhat seriously interested, the Raiders, and he called their offer unacceptable.  But you're correct that we got a lowball contract with him - one that pays 5x the money that the contract with JG does.  Apart from the behavior issues, which obviously are a significant factor, JG is worth a lot more than PR.  So why the big hurry to sign the lowest possible contract?

Probably because of rumors that weren't true, no one wanted DJax.  Only two teams, Carolina and the Skins, showed interest after  he was cut, and Carolina decided it wasn't interested (Raiders and SF thought about it, but neither set up an interview).  KC dropped the idea after investigating the situation, even with their crappy receivers and Reid claiming that he and DJax were best friends.  But, again, while DJax took a healthy pay cut from his previous contract, he wasn't playing for the minimum.  In an open market, with no behavioral issues considered, I would expect DJax and JG to have about the same salary.  So why is JG playing for 1/10 of what DJax will make?

Neither PR or DJax would have signed for the minimum.  It's silly to think that they would.  So why was JG in such a hurry?  I'm just being curious, not against the deal.

But he certainly could have gotten more money, a LOT more money, simply by waiting. At a minimum, by visiting the other teams. A lowball salary for him on a one year deal would have been around $3M higher. And for sure, he wouldn't have gotten stuck with the right of first refusal. Please don't tell me he let $3M go because he had some buddies here or because he just couldn't wait to start playing football again. Even if he honestly felt that way, his agent would have doped him up and kidnapped him before he could take the minimum. That just cost his agent $90K.

He is being paid a lot by the Saints right now. Since he is already making a buttload of cash this year he has the luxary to choose a team based on friends, relationships, etc.

He is being paid a lot by the Saints right now. Since he is already making a buttload of cash this year he has the luxary to choose a team based on friends, relationships, etc.

The money from the Saints is already in his bank account.  Unless he just hates money, he didn't give up $3M (my estimation) for nothing, nor did his agent give up $90K.  Peyton Manning has more money than he could possibly spend in 10 lifetimes, but he isn't playing for the minimum.  I can see someone giving up salary to win a championship; I'm having a hard time believing that someone is playing for less than 10% of what he's worth.  For $3M, he can make new friends.

Probably because of rumors that weren't true, no one wanted DJax.  Only two teams, Carolina and the Skins, showed interest after  he was cut, and Carolina decided it wasn't interested (Raiders and SF thought about it, but neither set up an interview). 

DeSean Jackson says 49ers were strong suitors in March

“It was a close call,” the former Cal star said. “I almost made the trip to come out there but obviously Washington did what they did and they kept me here and made everything right.”

I think having the opportunity to rub it in Chip Kelly's face twice a year was a big part of his decision. :)

To be back about Galette I think the Saints clearly overpaid him. He was listed as the 10th best pass rusher among 3-4 LBs by Profootballfocus.

"Despite tweeting that he has interest from an NFC South team, Galette’s only known suitor to this point is the Redskins" from Fansided

"Galette seems to have major interest of the Washington brass, and perhaps more importantly, not many other suitors."

I would add for how much more money ?

I understand your concern in a league mostly driven by $$$ and greed. The guy is going to make double digit money for not playing for the Saints, we were the only team to be serious about signing him, he won't have much opposition to beat, and he'll be around with his buddies.

Oh come on!

The police just wanting to question La'el Collins in a murder investiation made every GM in the league leary of drafting him...his agent's bluff about Collins holding out until next year did the rest. He went from a possible 1st or 2nd round draft pick to an undrafted free agent. Don't underestimate the power that "Not Worth The Trouble" has on NFL decision makers. True, Galette could have sat on his couch hoping for an injury and a phone call, but there's no guarantee anyone would call. That whole "6 other teams are interested in Galette" could have simply been the media echoing his girlfriend's twitter rant (or instagram or whatever social media nonsense it was on lol)...

As for this part, I think things make total sense. The Skins were the only team that really wanted him. If you take that as a given (which it apparently is), then everything else makes complete sense.

Plus, there very well may be a benefit to having friends already on the roster. I mean, seriously...how hard would it have been for another team to beat the Skins' 1-year deal for Knighton? Yet he signs with the perrenial last place Redskins? Why? Outside of Scot M being far better at selling the opportunity to free agents than we realized, it would appear that these players didn't have other teams burning up their cell phones. There could have also been a "take it or leave it" attitude shown by the Scot M and Bruce--"this offer is only good while you're here. If you leave, the offer comes off the table." It's a "buy it now" price, so to speak lol...if the player is nervous they truly won't latch on anywhere else, that sales pitch could be effective.

I didn't say (1) that there wasn't any other interest, (2) that it wasn't a good deal, or (3) that there was a down side.  In fact, I've said just the opposite all along.

But he certainly could have gotten more money, a LOT more money, simply by waiting.  At a minimum, by visiting the other teams.  A lowball salary for him on a one year deal would have been around $3M higher.  And for sure, he wouldn't have gotten stuck with the right of first refusal.  Please don't tell me he let $3M go because he had some buddies here or because he just couldn't wait to start playing football again.  Even if he honestly felt that way, his agent would have doped him up and kidnapped him before he could take the minimum.  That just cost his agent $90K.

First, I never said said there wasn't any interest. I proposed a worst case scenario - hence I didn't say: You said......" So calm down there a little. 

But you are implying some hidden agenda. like there is some mystery and that there some hidden bonus or something else as it was for him a bad move. Also, we don;t know who the suitors were. I know it's popular to think this is a bad place to come, but Scot has proven himself in 2 places that he can help teams win. You put that together with he alsready got huge money from NO and he has friends on the team, I do believe he would let $3M sit for this on the chance he can get a much better paycheck, and more long term next year. He is betting on himself. 

You know, as hard as it is to believe, some times things are exactly as they appear. There isn't a hidden or secret meaning/agenda to everything everyone does. We have grown to be an awfully cynical and paranoid society. It's kind of crazy. 

Archived